The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
ChatterBox

Canada - "Don't teach Bible verses that offend the LGBT"

I find this bizarre, both as a Christian and as someone who supports education. On an educational level, treating the Bible purely as a text, isn't this like censoring Shakespeare for murders or taking slavery out of Huckleberry Finn? You can't study it without studying the whole thing or your education will have gaps and people taught this way are in for a shock in later life when they read the full text. Pupils deserve to get the whole picture, whether they agree with it or not is up to them.

On Christian level, what next? Take out the verses offensive to women? Or on the other approach skip the tales of Deborah and female leaders in case it offends MRAs? Remove tales of the apostles fishing, or the loaves and fishes, because it might offend vegans? What do they think should be left to teach in R.E?

A school board deliberately demanding an incomplete education just offends me.

• Like 3

I believe this paragraph from the article you linked to shows the real source of the problem:

That was the reaction of the head of a public Christian school in Canada upon receiving a letter from the government body providing its funds, warning that the school should not teach Bible passages that could be deemed "offensive" by some people, particularly the members of the LGBT community.

When a school or any other Christian organization accepts money from the government or any other nonChristian source it places itself under an obligation to please the source of its funding. In the US the constitution prohibits the government from funding Christian schools and by doing this it gives them freedom to teach whatever they want. If the school wants to be completely free to teach the Bible perhaps it should look to Christians to meet all of its financial needs.

• Like 6

I find this bizarre, both as a Christian and as someone who supports education. On an educational level, treating the Bible purely as a text, isn't this like censoring Shakespeare for murders or taking slavery out of Huckleberry Finn? You can't study it without studying the whole thing or your education will have gaps and people taught this way are in for a shock in later life when they read the full text. Pupils deserve to get the whole picture, whether they agree with it or not is up to them.

On Christian level, what next? Take out the verses offensive to women? Or on the other approach skip the tales of Deborah and female leaders in case it offends MRAs? Remove tales of the apostles fishing, or the loaves and fishes, because it might offend vegans? What do they think should be left to teach in R.E?

Seems crazy to me as well- maybe even counter-intuitive. This reminds of something similar I've been noticing...

In America, many Christians walk away from their faith when they go into College. Why this happens, seems to be observable through a pattern: Most young adults don't know their Bible as well as they should. When they're literature professors speak badly about the Bible, the students are left speechless. Oftentimes they don't know in the OT that there was slavery, strict laws or even that God commanded The Jews to kill groups of people.

In many churches, when members teach Children about the Bible, they leave so much of it's content untaught (like "anti LGBT propaganda"), that young adults just assume The Bible isn't trustworthy when someone else shows them passages they're unfamiliar with.

Frustrating...

Prayers needed.

• Like 6

Higher education -- in this country -- doesn't accept Bible. Even in high schools -- evolution is taught as fact and Bible is laughed at. Students who read the Bible are scoffed at -- ridiculed. By the time they get to college --they've already been so brainwashed Against God /Bible that it isn't hard to get them completely away From Bible. Since the secular world / higher education doesn't believe in God. He has no authority. Therefore -- no absolute truth. And in order to get a degree in most Any area -- a wise student won't mention their belief in God. There are professors who have no problem spotting Christian students and purposely flunk them.

A good education is going to cost a person. In lots of ways. And there Are still believers in the professional fields -- high-end fields that retained their faith.

A person can be very knowledgable about Bible -- but the 'experts' in fossils, etc. Can pose very good,strong defense In their defense.

• Like 1

Nothing new here, sister. Check this out: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/14/city-houston-demands-pastors-turn-over-sermons.html

Of course this was before the recent movement or push back to restore religious freedoms.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Honestly -- as I heard about it earlier -- there was mixed reactions amongst some pastors. Some of them thought -- Good -- I'll be glad to hand over those sermons -- just be sure to Read them. Others saw it as their freedom to preach was in danger. But , like Paul and Barnabas -- they were beaten and Jailed for their preaching -- that didn't stop their preaching -- it just gave them a different, captive audience.

• Like 2

I have heard this and recently it is being done in some of the schools inn my place too. Even though children believe it or not, it is their one's own choices. Why stop teaching it in the school itself as school is the best place to get knowledge about everything. I feel sad for people not knowing the importance.

Even though children believe it or not, it is their one's own choices.

Is it? Or do the parents have a say?

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/06/26/orthodox-jewish-girls-school-faces-closure-for-refusing-to-teach-children-about-homosexuality/

God bless,

William

That's pretty bad -- that the school faces closer because their students - 212 of them aren't getting a complete education because of that. And those are grade-school aged kids. Gender reassignment surgery and stuff like that. Nothing that students need to be aware of in order to get a complete education.

• Like 1

@William The parents are constantly requesting the management not to do this and the sad part is that they do these sort of things in the Christian schools. I studied in a Hindu school and even though the majority of the people there are Hindus, they gave importance to all the religions and especially for Christianity were we will have prayers, reading verses from the Holy Bible etc. But nowadays things have changed and people are not giving importance to the important things.
  • Like 1

That's terrible. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not entitled to other people's choices. I am a Christian and I will follow what is written on the bible, no human words will stop me from doing so. I will not condemn the LGBT community, but I will not turn away from my faith just because it offends other people. I wouldn't tell them the bible verses that are against homosexuality out of the blue, but if the time comes and I need to read it out loud, I will.

• Like 2

Entertainment media is a very powerful weapon. Look how all these gay agenda shows in movies influenced people of just one generation. They now influenced the government and even the education curriculum. I won't be shocked if one day, US or Canada bans religion all together. So much for being the more open minded and tolerant side. The liberals are actually discriminatory too and they bully anyone with different belief. Now they are closing schools for this.

• Like 2

Entertainment media is a very powerful weapon. Look how all these gay agenda shows in movies influenced people of just one generation. They now influenced the government and even the education curriculum. I won't be shocked if one day, US or Canada bans religion all together. So much for being the more open minded and tolerant side. The liberals are actually discriminatory too and they bully anyone with different belief. Now they are closing schools for this.

Yep, it's often the ones who demand that you tolerate their views who are the least likely to tolerate the views of everyone else. They don't want "equality," no matter how much they protest for it. They really want a double standard, where their views are respected and no one else can dare to disagree or even share an opinion. They aren't "open minded" at all. You're right; they are bullies. If you try to debate then, they quickly begin calling names and spewing hate-filled rants, because they know they have no argument. You can't have it both ways. Even when you're not having a discussion, some are quick to be hateful toward any person of faith and they have no problem being as nasty about it as possible.

If I took half of what they say and turned it around, using their exact wording, there would be heck to pay.

• Like 2

It seems everyday something new needs to be altered in order to not offend. I agree with you, what's the point of teaching parts and not the full text? People are now using the bible for their own benefit. Only using certain parts of it to prove a point, but not the full text that would prove them wrong. It saddens me, I respect everyone. But in this case they claim equality and respect without respecting others. I can't imagine what will come next.

• Like 1

I can't imagine what will come next.

Eventually it will lead to God's judgment unless we repent. People are concerned about whether other people are offended but they don't seem to care whether or not we offend God.

• Like 3

That's very true. We live in a world of visible people -- God can't be seen so it's an invisible entity being offended and lots of people aren't concerned about offending an invisible 'thing'.

The government in Canada has reached a deplorable position on Christianity and immorality. We in the USA aren't far behind.

• Like 3

Eventually it will lead to God's judgment unless we repent. People are concerned about whether other people are offended but they don't seem to care whether or not we offend God.

Well said, friend. We tiptoe around everyone else yet do things that are wholly offensive to our Savior. That just doesn't make any sense. Man, that's messed up.

That really hit me, even though I should already know it. Thanks for that.

What's more is how some people find any mention of God to be "offensive." I don't know what they are so afraid of. Do they think the mere mention will somehow convert them?

• Like 1

That's terrible. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not entitled to other people's choices. I am a Christian and I will follow what is written on the bible, no human words will stop me from doing so. I will not condemn the LGBT community, but I will not turn away from my faith just because it offends other people. I wouldn't tell them the bible verses that are against homosexuality out of the blue, but if the time comes and I need to read it out loud, I will.

Good call Goku 👍

• Like 1

You are exactly right. the Judgment is coming. The church of Jesus Christ and Gods word is being minimized every day and we should not be blind sided by what is happening. The rabbit whole goes deep. The governments of this world want to destroy Christ church by attacking it's moral faith. Here is the bigger picture. This slide down of morals is not going to stop. They are pushing our kids to except depravity. Our kids will not listen to mom and dad any more. Just a few more years and our children will follow what amoral life style they want. You want to know why. The gay community votes. The spirit of antichrist is in the world and Christian persecution is here.

Listen to Paul This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobatea concerning the faith. 9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was. a reprobate: or, of no judgment 2 Ti 3:1-9

• Like 2

The government in Canada has reached a deplorable position on Christianity and immorality. We in the USA aren't far behind.

The standard of morality for believers in Christ cannot be set by government of any country. They are imposing their ungodliness on Christ church. The Bible is being disrespected as Gods Holy Word. This should not come as some surprise. The church itself has lost site of the doctrines of the t apostles. Paul warned that in the end time there would be a great falling away before the man of sin would be revealed. Those who truly respect Gods word as true and stand against the luke warm watered down standards of the world will be hated even by those of their own church.

• Like 1

I see that someday soon that to be a genuine Christian is will cost much more than it does now. We may well be on a long journey of suffering until Jesus Christ returns. It maybe a long time before Jesus returns. I find that those who expect Jesus to come before the Tribulation, might become very discouraged, if they not Raptured when they expected to be.

Jesus said we are to be ready, He did say only the Father knew when He would return. I am of the opinion we will go through the Tribulation, or at least a large part of it.

Justme

Government funding seems to be the key. When the government funds it earns the right to make policy. More and more it appears that shortly Christians will be facing persecution. This is a good thing. The church always grows and expands in times of persecution.It is a separating of the wheat from the chaff. Perhaps also it will put an end to the petty squabbles Christians have been engaging in for centuries.

• Like 3