The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
ptahm22

Avoiding friends who aren't believers.

Do you avoid your friends who thought believed in Jesus only to realize they actually don't. They may sometimes even become annoying and you have to clean some of their messes.

Do you Confront them or do you look for other friends to hang out with? I overheard some group of believers claiming that they wouldn't bother hanging out with a non believer.

​​​​What actions do you take ?

Do you avoid your friends who thought believed in Jesus only to realize they actually don't. They may sometimes even become annoying and you have to clean some of their messes.

Do you Confront them or do you look for other friends to hang out with? I overheard some group of believers claiming that they wouldn't bother hanging out with a non believer.

What actions do you take ?

Personally, I don't hang around non-Christians. I try to choose my friends wisely rather than falling into relationships. Though I have that luxury because I do not work.

This is something I wish my children would understand. Yesterday, my step-son was over a friend's house. A friend of his friend decided to steal his cell phone which my wife is still paying off. Hope the "friend" thinks it well worth a felony charge given the phone's price. Tonight after she gets off work we'll be heading to the police station.

God bless,

William

Personally, I had to cut off a relationship with a friend who encouraged me to sin. Other than that, I still kept some friends that hadn't recieved Christ as their savior. I'll have to check Proverbs. There are some verses in there that relate to this topic.

We are commanded to share the gospel with unbelievers. We can't do that effectively if we refuse to associate with them. However we must refuse to take part in any immoral activities or anything where we might be tempted to sin. That means there may be times we should refuse to be involved in what they do.

• Like 2

The main religion in my country is Hinduism. Therefore, I have many friends who are Non-Christians. I find them all good people to be with. However, I am not so close to them that they might lead me to sin. I maintain my distance. But, I don't think that if a person is not a believer then he/she is not a good person. I have seen many Christians who believe in Christ but indulge in immoral activities and sin.

We are commanded to share the gospel with unbelievers. We can't do that effectively if we refuse to associate with them. However we must refuse to take part in any immoral activities or anything where we might be tempted to sin. That means there may be times we should refuse to be involved in what they do.
Agreed, but associating with non-christians does not necessarily mean continuing to associate with people who prove by their actions that they are of bad character and not open to reform. If associating or being friends with someone drags you both down, rather than lifting you both up, it is not an association you should keep for either of your sakes. Wasn't it St. Paul who said that if their minds were closed to you, you should shake the dust from your feet and move on?

Wasn't it St. Paul who said that if their minds were closed to you, you should shake the dust from your feet and move on?

It was Jesus who said it.

And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town.

Matthew 10:14

But Paul did it.

But they shook off the dust from their feet against them and went to Iconium.

Acts 13:51

• Like 1

Here are two verses I mentioned: Proverbs 22:24-25 and Proverbs 13:20

Psalm 1

Blessed is the man[a]

who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,

nor stands in the way of sinners,

nor sits in the seat of scoffers;

but his delight is in the law of the Lord,

and on his law he meditates day and night.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Whenever I post scripture on a topic, I recieve an email telling me I have a new like. This is how I know I am at the right forum site.👌

• Like 1

No I never do that. I often make friends my ignoring their religion. For me religion is something very personal choice. It should never affect your friendship. So I often have friendship with non believers.

I can't possibly avoid non-believers because I have close relatives who attend churches that have major doctrinal differences with the church I'm attending. They've never made any attempt to convert us to their faith, either, so we simply co-exist and respect each other's faith. In my job and business, I normally encounter people of various shades and religion. I don't avoid friends on the basis of what one believes in, but I certainly avoid people who waste my time in senseless conversations/debates where no one comes out a winner and those who will try to influence me to depart from the truth. I will be happy, though, to develop more friendships within the church.

Jesus told us to love others as he has loved them. Looking at his life and his relationships and how he loved others I see that he often hung out with sinners and unbelievers but that he was not equally yoked with them. He also had a specifically chosen set of friends and disciples he shared more with and spent more time with. Usually the only way unbelievers are going to come to Christ and become believers is by what they see others doing and from the contacts and relationships they have with others: family, workplace, and group participation.

• Like 1

I wonder if those people who may deem it inappropriate to hang out with non-Christians.Consider that at some time they were non-Christians and it might have been through the intervention of Christians at that time that they were able to be saved. Because someone is not saved that doesn't mean that he or she may not uphold good moral values.

• Like 1

It depends on the kind of friends they are. If they aren't willing to change to become Christians then I'll be mindful of how far I go with them as friends. Some friends though are not Christians may just be copying our lifestyle and if it so please them may one day chose to become Christians. So we must strive to let our Godly living be perfect to win others.

Edited by tony

Jesus hung around with a few unsavory types at times, didn't He? Aren't we supposed to have compassion for them and share the message? How can we if we're too busy turning our noses up?

I don't think we are supposed to just shut ourselves off from all non-Christians and sit around in an echo chamber. We can't just completely avoid the unsaved. I mean, not every family member is saved either, but we still associate with them too.

On the other hand, I also agree that we have to be careful not to let them drag us down with them.

• Like 1

Jesus hung around with a few unsavory types at times, didn't He? Aren't we supposed to have compassion for them and share the message? How can we if we're too busy turning our noses up?

I don't think we are supposed to just shut ourselves off from all non-Christians and sit around in an echo chamber. We can't just completely avoid the unsaved. I mean, not every family member is saved either, but we still associate with them too.

On the other hand, I also agree that we have to be careful not to let them drag us down with them.

I agree with this sentiment. Even though it seems counter-intuitive to associate with people from a different faith and/or atheists, they are still people with their own sensitivities and goals. Of course picking who we let close to ourselves is important, but if everything else checks out, for me religion is not a dealbreaker when it comes to friendship...I don't feel that I need to agree with my friends or my peers on every single point.

Either way we can't know what it is that each person really needs in their life, sometimes they might need to see things from a different perspective no matter how alien their beliefs are to ours. In some cases people who think differently can gain some good understanding of each other when they manage to have a polite and sincere conversation. Lack of understanding easilly ferments hatred, a very tricky pitfall...respectively I've had people around me who were very wary of me because of my religion (they were atheists), who did a complete 180o when we started talking more openly about our beliefs to each other.

My most important benefit from all these interactions, was that criticism got me realising that I'm not on this specific path because I was raised this way, or culturally/peer forced to be this way, rather this faith is something that I came to seek on my own, and it was a very important realization for me.

• Like 2

My most important benefit from all these interactions, was that criticism got me realising that I'm not on this specific path because I was raised this way, or culturally/peer forced to be this way, rather this faith is something that I came to seek on my own, and it was a very important realization for me.

Yes, I think if and when we come to this moment..then we have a better understanding of how others feel and how they too are seeking (even if like us, they didn't always know that). Good point!

I have Christian friends who are non believers, Christians who pretend to be believers, and I also have non Christian friends but are believers. But my bonding with people doesn't have anything to do with that. I hang out with people even those who don't share the same interests as I have.

I treat people based on their principles in life and how they carry themselves, i have met so many people who pretended to be true Christians and people of faith, but they turned out to be devious and liars, but i truly believe that surrounding yourself with strong believers will definitely help you become a better person and a decent member of society.

I hang out with people even those who don't share the same interests as I have.

I think there is a difference between simply having shared interests and sharing the same faith.

I treat people based on their principles in life and how they carry themselves, i have met so many people who pretended to be true Christians and people of faith, but they turned out to be devious and liars, but i truly believe that surrounding yourself with strong believers will definitely help you become a better person and a decent member of society.

Christians are human. We still make mistakes, do things wrong, lie... just because someone is a Christian doesn't mean they are going to be perfect,Still, I can relate what you're saying here. Having good examples in your life can definitely be beneficial,.

Sadly, there are some people out their who will use the pretense of "faith" as a way of getting you to trust them so they can take advantage of you.

I have friends who are non Christians but we get along well because we avoid talking about religious and political stuff. I have a friend though who is able to convert non believers and people from different sects and religion by befriending them. I am not good of converting people though. If I can convert people, I would have been a missionary.

I have a friend though who is able to convert non believers and people from different sects and religion by befriending them.

That's quite the skill your friend has, to inspire people effortlessly. Also very rare to find in the form of a talent. There's many people who go through the process of taking courses to find out how to convert people,but it's really about being able to connect with people on an emotional level...which requires the preacher/missonary/speaker to want to understand what the listeners are going through, becoming the listener instead of the speaker when needed. Extroverted and empathetic people tend to have more of an advantage on that aspect.

What's your friend like as a character, if I may ask?

My friend is basically very charismatic and friendly that is why he is able to convert people to his faith. He is able to convince people not by preaching but showing how God blessed his life. I think those people he converted wanted to be as happy as he is.