The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian Hodoboc

What does God's voice sound like?

Various people have heard God's voice both in the Old Testament and the New Testament, but there is not a detailed description of what His voice sounds like. Surely, in this day and age, if anyone heard God's voice, one of the main things they would describe to others afterwards would be what His voice sounds like. Is it masculine / feminine / gender-neutral etc..

Why don't Moses, Elijah and the three apostles that heard God's voice on the mountain tell anything about the sound of it?

Masculine. Stop you in your tracks authoritative.

(beyond that words fail)

PS. Welcome to Christ Forums, Lucian Hodoboc.

Is it masculine / feminine / gender-neutral etc..
What does a gender-neutral voice sound like?

Why don't Moses, Elijah and the three apostles that heard God's voice on the mountain tell anything about the sound of it?
What would be the point? What would it tell us?

What does a gender-neutral voice sound like?

Peewee Herman?

Or that gravelly voice that some cigarette smokers have where you can't really tell?

;)

• Like 1

Various people have heard God's voice both in the Old Testament and the New Testament, but there is not a detailed description of what His voice sounds like. Surely, in this day and age, if anyone heard God's voice, one of the main things they would describe to others afterwards would be what His voice sounds like. Is it masculine / feminine / gender-neutral etc..

Thanks for coming up with this, I am interested in knowing about this too with scriptural back up

Hopefully not as sensual.

Luke 15:20 "So he got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him."

... Sounds like God is a hugger. :)

Thanks for coming up with this, I am interested in knowing about this too with scriptural back up

With scriptural backup ...

2 Corinthians 12:1 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that NO ONE is permitted to tell.

I hear the Lord in my thoughts as I pray, to me it is that voice which comforts and guides, as to actual sounds who is to know to each he may sound different. I guess I have always expected a big booming voice that shakes the earth. Sort of the Noah thing you see. How wonderful it would be to hear him.

What does the Voice of the Lord God of Israel sound like, you ask.

The Truth the Way the Life, Mercy, Righteousness, Judgement, Love, Faith, Hope, Wisdom, Knowledge, and Understanding. And there is no telling how many pretenders there are, and have been in the world that would have you hear their voice as the same.

• Like 1

I have had only one occasion where I am sure God, or Christ, or Holy Spirit was present. I was on the verge of seriously considering taking my life. I could not shake the feeling at all, it got worse and worse. I remember one bad evening I prayed for God to just take over my life, as I could not do it anymore. All of a sudden I felt a warmth flow over me, and I share, I felt a hand on my shoulder, as clear as a bell. There was no voice, but that h as ND stayed only a moment, but I knew I would be ok. That feeling good I cannot find words to describe, it was as if I was flooded with light.

And I am not someone else prone to hear I ng voices or anything.

God's voice comes to people in many ways

When we read the bible when God spoke to moses and the israliets His vioce was like thunderstome

Again when He spoke to elija,it was a sweet voice of hope and love

I can say dear friends that God can change voice to what He likes when he speaks to his people

Stay blessed

I have had only one occasion where I am sure God, or Christ, or Holy Spirit was present. I was on the verge of seriously considering taking my life. I could not shake the feeling at all, it got worse and worse. I remember one bad evening I prayed for God to just take over my life, as I could not do it anymore. All of a sudden I felt a warmth flow over me, and I share, I felt a hand on my shoulder, as clear as a bell. There was no voice, but that h as ND stayed only a moment, but I knew I would be ok. That feeling good I cannot find words to describe, it was as if I was flooded with light.

And I am not someone else prone to hear I ng voices or anything.

God is good! I have felt the presence of the spirit in my life as well. It is a warmth and joy that is hard to describe.

Actually, that would be a wonderful study! Go through a bible search and find all the many passages that talk about God's voice and make a list of how it's described. We see here and in other verses, it always corresponds, and does not contradict, the Word of God: "When the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." (John 16:13)

He is able to speak in a loud thundering voice: Psalm 29:3-9

"The voice of the LORD is upon the waters; The God of glory thunders, The LORD is over many waters. The voice of the LORD is powerful, The voice of the LORD is majestic. The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars; Yes, the LORD breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon."

But sometimes He speaks in a still, quiet voice: "And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper."

In 1 Thess. 4 we see that He sometimes uses the angels as His mouthpiece and it can sound like a trumpet: "For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. ..." and so many more. Our God is amazing.

• Like 1

I think we also have to be EXTREMELY cautious because the Devil and the fallen angels are adept at sounding like they are gods or God's voice, that's why everything has to be tested by the Word. 1 John 4:1 "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

• Like 1

Go through a bible search and find all the many passages that talk about God's voice and make a list of how it's described.

Just adding that this is called Systematic Theology: a form of theology in which the aim is to arrange religious truths in a self-consistent whole.

In case anyone is interested we do have a Systematic Theology Sub-Forum: https://www.christforums.org/forum/c...matic-theology

God bless,

William

I was reading Ezekiel yesterday with a brother, and Ezekiel described God's voice as the rushing of many waters Ezekiel 43:2 and over and over again in the OT I've seen it described as thunder- even like a trumpet in Revelation 4.

• Like 1

I think we all envision it as a booming disembodied voice at the mountaintop, or coming down out of the clouds, or something to that effect.

Maybe they didn't feel the need to describe His voice in detail, because it wasn't relevant, what was relevant was its words. Also, correct me if I'm forgetting anything, but I don't think Scripture is big into physical descriptions and stuff like that in general, so I wouldn't expect a flowery description of God's voice. Or maybe mortal words just fail to convey it.

Even so, we can learn more about God by such characteristics as his voice, as well as, why and where he says what he says.

This is a very interesting question... Very good.

I consider the voice of God as a very calm voice, omnipresent, and that transmits me much peace. It's not a loud voice, it's very quite and simple.

It's a voice that always arrives at the right moments, and does everything to be heard.

Well, that's the way I think it's the voice of God.

God bless you all!

God spoke to his servants in biblical times, I have heard although not very often,but made more of a inner connection with them through different ways. God does not speak to us as much these days,because there would be no way to believe it was him talking,and besides his teachings can be found in the bible. God can speak directly to your mind if you set some time aside for prayer,but he speaks in mysterious ways sometimes?

God does not speak to us as much these days,because there would be no way to believe it was him talking

I believe that God has a way to do anything, including making people believe it was Him talking.

• Like 1

I can hear the God inside my heart, inside my thoughts. Maybe i am not that much spiritually powerful that i could listen to his voice directly or physically. I think those individuals who listened to his voice, they are much blessed as they are special one. We are breathing, eating, drinking, walking, watching and thinking, these all abilities are gifted by God. This complex human body system cannot come into creation with out any creator. There is the God who made all of us and blessed us with countless blessings. Always try to stay happy and hopeful because hopelessness takes a person away from God. If you want to be near to God and want to listen to him then we have act upon his orders.