The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
listener1987

Why Isn't Christan Music Popular?

Christian music has improved vastly over time, and I feel like the quality of music should be able to compete with a lot of secular songs. But it doesn't.

I've heard people justify listening to songs about drugs and sex by saying, "I listen to the music, not the words." But if that were true, they would be mixing high quality Christian songs in with it.

I listen to secular music, I admit. But I do hear the words. And I can't stand listening to music that talks about sex or drugs, or contains foul language, or that objectifies women (or men!). Even if the tune is great, I can't get into it.

Is it really possible to "tune out" the words to a song and just enjoy the tune, without it influencing you?

Hi Listener, I agree, contemporary Christian music has come a long way (even over the past decade, or so), but it's still focused on words, and on a subject and on a Person that many/most in this world want nothing to do with :(

I'll never forget my son and his friends riding along with me when I turned on Lecrae's, Don't Waste Your Life. This guy is a better musician and lyricist than Lil' Wayne could hope to be on his best day ever, and they were digg'n it, that is, until they started listening to the words a little more closely ;) It took all of about 30 seconds for them to ask me to turn on something else. But I still listen to his music (and I'm 60 :D).

Here's the song I played for them:

[video=youtube_share;7RWEllqh5J0]

• Like 2

Why isn't Christian music more popular than it is?

Jesus has a bad reputation in the world.

Hey man, if I wasn't a born again Christian, I would still listen to Mary Mary.

In fact, I loved them even before I got saved.

• Like 1

Rock of Ages, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, And Can it Be, Be Still My Soul, In Christ Alone, Before the Throne of God Above. . . all sound very good to me.

I personally find it impossible to tune out the words of a song and just listen to the music. The music is what initially grabs me, but eventually, I always end up memorizing the songs I really like and focus on the words. As others have said, even with contemporary Christian music, it usually is about glorifying God and many secular people just don't want to hear that. Recently, I have done some searching and come across some Christian music whose lyrics are more about struggling to survive in the secular world as a Christian. While not as overtly Christian as many modern Christian bands are, I find that I really enjoy the music as well as message. Some of these bands include: Thousand Foot Krutch, Disciple, Skillet, Fireflight, Ashes Remain, Red, and Nine Lashes. If you meet people who are turned off by contemporary Christian music, or are just trying to get the word out there, I would recommend having people check out some of those bands (without telling that that they are Christian bands) and see if that helps.

• Like 1

Hi Listener, I agree, contemporary Christian music has come a long way (even over the past decade, or so), but it's still focused on words, and on a subject and on a Person that many/most in this world want nothing to do with :(

I'll never forget my son and his friends riding along with me when I turned on Lecrae's, Don't Waste Your Life. This guy is a better musician and lyricist than Lil' Wayne could hope to be on his best day ever, and they were digg'n it, that is, until they started listening to the words a little more closely ;) It took all of about 30 seconds for them to ask me to turn on something else. But I still listen to his music (and I'm 60 :D).

That is catchy! Rap isn't totally my thing, even Christian rap. But even I can recognize that this is catchy stuff. Hilarious (and kind of sad!) that your son and his friends liked the song until they heard the words!

I remember being embarrassed by Christian music - I mean, I liked it, but I knew a lot of its quality was sub-par and I didn't want to play it in front of my friends. So glad it's better.

• Like 1

CCM can be both very poorly produced and very unsound theologically. In general, over the years the production quality has improved, but the theology has gotten worse.

Edited by thatbrian
  • Like 2

CCM can be both very poorly produced and very unsound theologically. In general, over the years the production has improved, but the theology has gotten worse.

I also feel that way for the most part.

I stick to things like this...

I don't often feel the impact of the gospel to the core of my being from listening to a sermon or reading scripture; however, I always do, when I hear, and sing, the song below. Music, done well, can certainly convey the message of the gospel to us, perhaps better than most sermons could, and that's coming from the keyboard of a conservative Presbyterian who values good preaching enormously.

CCM can be both very poorly produced and very unsound theologically. In general, over the years the production quality has improved, but the theology has gotten worse.

I could not agree more.

Rock of Ages, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, And Can it Be, Be Still My Soul, In Christ Alone, Before the Throne of God Above. . . all sound very good to me.

I may be firmly in the millennial age group, but honestly I'll take a hymn any day! I like the original tunes but I can be persuaded to enjoy the words put to new music too ;)

For example, this hymn, by Martin Luther, was put to new music by Christopher Miner. I think I have all the words memorized now that I've listened to it at least 50 times...Enjoy!

(Sorry it doesn't have the words, but the singer's voice is very clear so it shouldn't be hard to understand)

I think there's kind of a knee-jerk reaction in the general public that associates "Christian" with "preachy and condemning". This is unfortunate because there is so much uplifting and good music out there that speaks of love and other great things. There is even Christian metal out there which is pretty good, in my opinion and that of my agnostic friends (who couldn't understand the words so well). Perhaps Christian music should expand to more secular venues so that a more diverse audience can see its value.

• Like 1

Well this is one of those questions where the answer is just...because it isn't. I don't really know the answer. Maybe it is just not as good as the other types of music. It probably does suffer from a lack of playtime and recognition on a more national and wide-spread level, but there are probably reasons for that as well. I would like to think that there are certain circles where the music is more popular, and it might depend on the region of the country as well. Who knows, but it is interesting to think about. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Well, I will give my opinion talking as a young boy. I personally think that Christian music has not become any popular because several reasons that you may think these do not make any sense, but that is just my opinion, first off, music is ruled by young people nowadays, yes, if you analyze it and look a little bit closer, the majority of the young people (from 7 to 25 y/o, teenagers - young adults) support every single genre, but Christian music, why? Because most of them are Catholic, atheists or they simply don't believe in anything, that's why that genre is not so popular, now see it from this perspective; what if the majority of the humanity was Christian? Yes, that's the answer, the majority of them would listen to Christian music, but as they're not, they just don't, that's the simple equation.

God bless.

Most people don't like listening to gospel music because of influence from friends or people near them. We usually listen to secular music because we can hear it play whenever we travel or eat at restaurants. Others prefer having only secular songs in their mobile devices and other storage devices. This makes it easy to share with friends and family members. Unless we commit ourselves to listening to gospel music then we may not have the time to.

• Like 1

Christian music has improved vastly over time, and I feel like the quality of music should be able to compete with a lot of secular songs. But it doesn't.

And it NEVER WILL because of the Subject material. Why would a NON-Christian Society (as the U.S. IS) want to hear lyrics about Jesus, or the Kingdom of God???? It makes 'em uncomfortable.

Personally, I DON'T see the modern Crop of 7-11 "Christian Songs" as any "improvement" at all.

I listen to secular music, I admit. But I do hear the words. And I can't stand listening to music that talks about sex or drugs, or contains foul language, or that objectifies women (or men!). Even if the tune is great, I can't get into it.

I listen to Secular also, and when I had my "Nursing Home" Band, we PLAYED "Positive secular" to keep the audience's interest, and "folded in" Gospel pieces to be the "Seasoning" for the set.

Is it really possible to "tune out" the words to a song and just enjoy the tune, without it influencing you?

Personally, if I have to "TUNE OUT" ANYTHING about a piece of music, then I don't Bother with it at all. There's too much good stuff out there to bother with adulterated garbage.

• Like 2

It's usually not the lyrics that grab you and make you like the song, although it certainly is one part of it. I think it's more the beat that attracts you to the song. A lot of Christian music tends to be a lot more calm, chilled and relaxed compared to other genres like for example Rap so obviously it is going to not appease everyone which is probably why it isn't the most popular type of music. I'm a catholic and the only music genres I listen to are Rap, Grime and a bit of Pop. Religious music is just not my type personally.

David listening to crae, I didn't see that coming ha ha. I like him too. You know, Christian contemporary music has actually gained an audience. Look at Hillsong- they have a song with over 100 million views on YouTube! Not to mention Hillsong are sprouting up churches all over the U.S. that primarily play their worship music. Chris Tomlin has a song with 25 million views as well and A.I.L.D with 8 and Lecrae with 18 mill. Still not as many as Talyor swift with 2 billion on 2 songs...😢

Weird that I somehow missed this post and didn't read it at first. Just played a bit of the song and I have to say it's the first piece of Christian music that I can say I liked. Like I said in my post slightly above this one, I think a lot of the time the beat of the song is what gets people and the one in this song is pretty good and it's quite similar to a rap song which I think will appease a lot of people. But like you said, if young child actually start understanding what the actual lyrics are, they may decide that they do not like it, maybe more so because they do not want to be seen as liking religious music?

I think the irish singer Enya makes me feel very close to nature and God when she sings,because she puts you in a mode so you can talk to and hear God which is a nice place to be? I think a lot of so called Christian music is terrible in a music way to listen to,like the melodies and vocal harmonies in the arrangement,but overall I think its just has no ear for the music person?

Christian music has been steadily gaining momentum, at least where I am anyway. The reason being is that many secular persons do relate to Christian music and many instances I will see all and sundry singing along and enjoying gospel songs and even at some secular parties the selector will devote a portion of time to gospel input.

I think Christian music needs to develop more and have its own sound because it sounds like secular music with christian words,and it needs its own art style I think? You know using country or rock melodies- then adding sacred words to the secular music, causing you have a natural disconnect? Thats why I think New Age music comes close to the sound I'm looking for because it has a more, natural-world sound to it.

Call me 90ish, but I love Creed, a Christian singer in a non Christian genre:

Scott Stapp Rocks!!!

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Hello William

And a metal band at that,and I always thought they(Creed) were a Christian band but although they are Christians,they do not consider themselves a Christian band and use spiriual imagery as a metaphor. I always looked at them as a Christian band though,and I think they made this statement many years later. Also they started out -and were discovered in tallahassee florida which is a college town(FSU)and I went to school(FSU)there as well, but much earlier. Tallahassee use to be a town where you went to to get discovered in music back then,before they get signed for the labels but that was a while ago. I was living in tallahassee at the time when they got discovered though and remember the MTV music videos.