The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
LeapOfFaith89

Working On Sabbath?

I know it's a sin but it's one of the days that I can get a full eight hours of work from my second job. Does anyone else work on the Sabbath? What are your feelings about Christians who work on the Sabbath?

• Like 1

I think it's one of those things that people know, but don't consider it as "mandatory", since life can get pretty hard, and you can't skip on an opportunity to earn just because it is a rest day. The question, would you pull a donkey out of a pit during the Sabbath comes to mind. I think if it is a necessary thing, then you should do the right thing, and would still show your respect to the Lord on the Sabbath in your own way. But then again, it's different for everyone, and me personally, I work everyday with no breaks, because it's really difficult providing for yourself.

I work very long hours due to having an "in town" full time job, working the land, and side projects. However, I do not on Sunday. The Lord, in His wisdom, provided for us a day to rest and, most importantly, rest in Him.

The Sabatth was set aside not just as a day for resting. It was a day for worshipping God. The days when people had to worship God because the law demanded they do are gone. God seeks people who worship Him not because they are compelled to by a law. Jesus said, "those who love me will obey my commandments." You keep the law the love you have for Christ makes you do it. However since the sabbath was made for man, if you have to work on the Sabbath because necessity demands that you do, then work and earn the money you need.

I know it's a sin but it's one of the days that I can get a full eight hours of work from my second job. Does anyone else work on the Sabbath? What are your feelings about Christians who work on the Sabbath?

Which day of the week are you referring to?

Why is it a sin to work on that day??

I have the same question. We know that God knows our heart. We as Christians should be in union with Christ as long as we can. Its not setting aside a particular period ( its good for setting aside) but if worship God in our heart, talk to him each and every moment of our life, it would be good. But at last, we should do what encourages our faith in Jesus.

This really has been debated ad nauseum, but I will say this: my job requires me to work every fourth weekend. There really is no way around it, for if I did not work someone else would have to. So it really comes down to the same problem. Either you are working on the sabbath, or you are causing someone else to.

Now there is a school of thought that if you take a day of rest it really doesn't matter when it is as long as it is once a week. And when you consider what a "day" was in biblical times you can think of it is as observing the sabbath from say Saturday evening from 6pm until 6pm on Sunday, then you are free to work any time outside of that.

I think the bigger part of the debate has to do with causing others to work. There are plenty of people who will go out to eat after church on Sunday because they figure it is just easier than going back home and figuring out what they should put together for a meal. The problem with this is now you are causing other people to work for you on the sabbath.

Also, depending on what denomination you belong to the sabbath could be considered Saturday or Sunday. The denomination to which I belong observes it on Sunday taking direction from when it is considered that Jesus rose from the dead (the Lord's day). Also, our denomination in order to help others not violate the sabbath have a host family schedule. This is for any guests or people who attend church but live out of town and it would be burdensome for them to go home and come back for the evening service. This is so they will not have to go find somewhere to eat, plus it gives everyone the opportunity to fellowship between services.

• Like 2

(Exodus 20:8-11) Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, bu he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord Blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

It's one of the ten Commandments and breaking it is as much a sin as misusing the name of the board, not honoring your parents, stealing ,murder, adultery, false testimony, worshipping other gods, and coveting other people's things . God had it written in stone. So we are supposed to keep the Sabbath day holy, though I'm unsure if it's still Sunday or if it's supposed to be Saturday, but I can't afford to right now. I plan on not working on the Sabbath in the future after I've at least paid off my college loans but right now I can't. So I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble also.

(Exodus 20:8-11) Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, bu he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord Blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

It's one of the ten Commandments and breaking it is as much a sin as misusing the name of the board, not honoring your parents, stealing ,murder, adultery, false testimony, worshipping other gods, and coveting other people's things . God had it written in stone. So we are supposed to keep the Sabbath day holy, though I'm unsure if it's still Sunday or if it's supposed to be Saturday, but I can't afford to right now. I plan on not working on the Sabbath in the future after I've at least paid off my college loans but right now I can't. So I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble also.

The Sabbath was given to the Israelites as part of the Sinai Covenant as a sign of the Covenant, a day of rest and their day to worship God. It was never commanded for Gentiles, or even the Israelites before the Sinai Covenant. The Sabbath is Saturday. The early Christians decide to rest and worship God on Sunday, the day of the Lord’s resurrection. The vast majority still do so.

I have argued elsewhere that we are not bound by the Ten Commandments as a legal code as they were part of the Jewish Law.

There is no sin for Christians to not observe the Jewish Sabbath, or any other Jewish feast day.

The Sabbath has always been Saturday. Those who go to church on Sunday say the day of rest and worship should be Sunday because Jesus resurrected on a Sunday, thereby making the day Holy but there is no mention of the Sabbath day being changed to Sunday in the bible. But that's a debate for another day. I have a question. The apostles never asked the newly converted Christians to keep the sabbath. Any explanations?

The Sabbath was given to the Israelites as part of the Sinai Covenant as a sign of the Covenant, a day of rest and their day to worship God. It was never commanded for Gentiles, or even the Israelites before the Sinai Covenant. The Sabbath is Saturday. The early Christians decide to rest and worship God on Sunday, the day of the Lord’s resurrection. The vast majority still do so.

I have argued elsewhere that we are not bound by the Ten Commandments as a legal code as they were part of the Jewish Law.

There is no sin for Christians to not observe the Jewish Sabbath, or any other Jewish feast day.

I agree

The Sabbath has always been Saturday. Those who go to church on Sunday say the day of rest and worship should be Sunday because Jesus resurrected on a Sunday, thereby making the day Holy but there is no mention of the Sabbath day being changed to Sunday in the bible. But that's a debate for another day. I have a question. The apostles never asked the newly converted Christians to keep the sabbath. Any explanations?

Of course it isn't mentioned in the bible, because this was instituted after the bible was written. It was established by the Catholic church after the bible was assembled into the books we have now.

Of course it isn't mentioned in the bible, because this was instituted after the bible was written. It was established by the Catholic church after the bible was assembled into the books we have now.

The books of the Bible were written by the death of the last apostle (by the end of the 1st century). The books were finally canonised at the end of the 4th century.

Sunday was celebrated very early

“Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the sabbath, but the Lord's Day, in which our life is blessed by him and by his death.” (Ignatius of Antioch, approx AD 110)

“We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day [after the Jewish sabbath, but also the first day] when God, separating matter from darkness, made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Saviour rose from the dead.” (Justin, Martyr, approx 155AD)

But even in apostolic times it seems that Christians met on Sunday:

“On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that contributions need not be made when I come.” (1Cor 16:2)

Why the first day of the week? Because that is when they all met together to worship and was thus an appropriate time to take a collection.

• Like 1

God made a distinction between the command to keep the Sabbath and his other commands.

I gave them my statutes and made known to them my rules, by which, if a person does them, he shall live. Moreover, I gave them my Sabbaths, as a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them. But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness. They did not walk in my statutes but rejected my rules, by which, if a person does them, he shall live; and my Sabbaths they greatly profaned.

(Ezekiel 20:11-13 ESV)

Apparently the Sabbaths were given as a special sign to Israel that they belonged to God. If so, these commands aren't binding on Christians, but we are free to obey them if we want to.

One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

(Romans 14:5 ESV)

In deciding whether we will refrain from working on a certain day we should base our decision on what will bring glory to God.

I'm guilty of working 7 day weeks. I don't know if the commandment carries over to new testament law or not. If it does I have been breaking it for a long time.

People sin on a day to day basis. It's hard not to. We are only human and can only do so much when it comes to maintaining our behavior. I think you should be just fine if you are making the choice to work on sabbath. Things happen and honestly, you need to work to survive. I hate to say this, but your life matters and comes prior to anything. You need to make sure that you and your family are okay prior to worrying about sin. My best suggestion to you is to make sure you say your prayers. Your relationship with God is not going to change for one mistake on one day. :)

People sin on a day to day basis. It's hard not to. We are only human and can only do so much when it comes to maintaining our behavior. I think you should be just fine if you are making the choice to work on sabbath. Things happen and honestly, you need to work to survive. I hate to say this, but your life matters and comes prior to anything. You need to make sure that you and your family are okay prior to worrying about sin. My best suggestion to you is to make sure you say your prayers. Your relationship with God is not going to change for one mistake on one day. :)

I think concerning yourself with sin and the right way to live is part of what needs to be done to care for your life needs and your family. The commandment not to work on the Sabbath may be part of the old testament laws that no longer apply since Jesus died for us, but I'm not sure. I know there are some old testament rules that changed with the coming and crucifixion of Jesus, I just don't have a good handle on what all of them were.

Here is what the Bible says about the Sabbath:

I gave them my statutes and made known to them my rules, by which, if a person does them, he shall live. Moreover, I gave them my Sabbaths, as a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them.

(Ezekiel 20:11-12 ESV)

The Sabbath was given to Israel as a sign. It was not one of the statutes and rules that would give life to those who followed them.

Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

(Colossians 2:16-17 ESV)

Keeping the Sabbath, like the dietary laws, is no longer a requirement for Christians.

While we are no longer required to observe the Sabbath it is usually a good idea to take one day a week off from our other activities so we can devote time to focusing on God and on our relationship with him.

When I read your question, several thoughts popped into my head. I have questions too. For instance, if we observe the Sabbath in the same way they did in the Old Testament, what would that really entail? Would we only be allowed to walk a 'Sabbath days journey", abstain from cooking, the whole deal, from Friday at sundown to Saturday sunset or something like that? Did they make any of our current traditions, from church potlucks to children's programs and puppet shows, a part of their Sabbath? So would we have to do away with all the 'work' we do for church? Or is church a separate form of worship, perhaps entailing work, that is actually best to do on Sunday because it isn't really the Sabbath? So if we are only going to observe the Sabbath in some newly interpreted way, how do we decide which things to throw out and which things to keep? I have none of the answers, these are just some questions that flooded my mind when I read your question. It seems if we are going to observe the Sabbath it would be important to do it right, after all.

How do we decide which things to throw out and which things to keep?

We don't, but we observe what Jesus had done and taught. For example, the higher workings of our Triune God continued on even after six days of creation. Jesus healed on this day, a reason too for which the Sabbath exists. As for another example, all of creation had not stopped existing on the Sabbath, but God's higher workings continued through the Word by sustaining life.

Here's how I believe we should view the Sabbath and keep it:

Here's the Westminster Confession of Faith:

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

[34] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. ISA 56:2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil. 4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant. 6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; 7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

[35] GEN 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. 1CO 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. ACT 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

[36] REV 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet.

[37] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. MAT 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

[38] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. EXO 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. 25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the Lord: to day ye shall not find it in the field. 26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none. 29 See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. 30 So the people rested on the seventh day. EXO 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. ISA 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words. NEH 13:15 In those days saw I in Judah some treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals. 16 There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. 17 Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day? 18 Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath. 19 And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day. 21 Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath. 22 And I commanded the Levites that they should cleanse themselves, and that they should come and keep the gates, to sanctify the sabbath day. Remember me, O my God, concerning this also, and spare me according to the greatness of thy mercy.

[39] ISA 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

we observe what Jesus had done and taught.

Jesus healed on this day,

EUREKA WILLIAM! You are right! Now that I think about it, the Pharisees were often charging Jesus with breaking the very strict Sabbath laws and Jesus actually refuted and rebuked the pharisees. I am trying to remember what he said to them. Something about the Sabbath being made for man and not man for the Sabbath, and that it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. Let me see if I can look up what Jesus said about this. Hmmm.

Mark 2

…27Then Jesus told them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28Therefore, theSon of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

~Berean Study Bible

Matthew 12

…11He replied, “If one of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will he not take hold of it and lift it out? 12How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on theSabbath.” 13Then Jesus said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” So he stretched it out, and it was restored to full use, just like the other.…

~Berean Study Bible ·

Considering all of that, your Westminster Confession of Faith seems a very logical take on this matter. Thank you for sharing it William. I hadn't read it before.

Here is what the Bible says about the Sabbath:

I gave them my statutes and made known to them my rules, by which, if a person does them, he shall live. Moreover, I gave them my Sabbaths, as a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them.

(Ezekiel 20:11-12 ESV)

The Sabbath was given to Israel as a sign. It was not one of the statutes and rules that would give life to those who followed them.

Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

(Colossians 2:16-17 ESV)

Keeping the Sabbath, like the dietary laws, is no longer a requirement for Christians.

While we are no longer required to observe the Sabbath it is usually a good idea to take one day a week off from our other activities so we can devote time to focusing on God and on our relationship with him.

Thank you for clearing this up so nicely. This is what I had thought, but wasn't completely sure of.

The Sabbath had three purposes:

1. A sign of the (Mosaic) Covenant

2. A day of rest

3. A day for worship of God.

As the Mosaic Covenant is finished we do not need the sign. But the other two reasons remain valid for us. We do not need to rest and worship God on the Saturday, but I think we do need a day of rest and time out for God once a week for our physical, mental and spiritual health. For centuries that has been Sunday for Christians because that was the day the Lord rose from the dead.

I think working 7 days a week is not good for us.

Keeping a day for family and God is a good way to keep from overworking yourself. Everybody needs some downtime. It may not be a sin if you don't observe the sabbath, but other problems that are sins can result from not observing it.