The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Nahum

Books on Biblical Demonology?

I am curious if anyone can recommend some good books on Biblical demonology? I've read a couple* that were interesting, but I could see reading more.

* They were:

• Powers of Evil: A Biblical Study of Satan and Demons, by Sydney H. T. Page (1995)
  • Biblical Demonology, by Merril Unger (1965)

Thanks much. :)

I recommend "Spiritual Warfare" titles and not demonology. Here's one I have read which mainly presents many case studies from the perspective of Christian psychology or counseling: The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare

To be honest, I'm quite conflicted about "demonology" or other books on topics where the Bible is silent. I think there is a lot of wisdom in learning to be silent where the Bible is silent, and not dabbing into areas we do not belong.

I also recommend the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. I thought the book was highly entertaining.

Lastly, I am curious about your eschatological view, because it may influence your perception of the underworld. Do you believe Satan is currently bound? May I recommend a reading? Revelation Twenty - The binding of Satan

God bless,

William

Thank you for the recommendation. The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare rings a bell, but I honestly don't recall if I have read it. I am adding it to check out on tomorrow's to do list. The Screwtape Letters is a fantastic classic and I've read it a few times. There is a modern derivative called Lord Foulgrin's Letters, which I've read a couple times, that is pretty good too, but I digress.

The views on eschatology is harder to answer. We Mennonites don't devote a ton of time to it, though, obviously, we believe the Lord is going to return. If I was pressed to choose a position, I guess I'd say partial preterist, though I think the topic warrants more study. Concerning Satan, based upon the New Testament, I believe the devil and his angels are active in this world as tempters, etc. I'll print out a copy of that link to read over.

Anyway, thank you again. :)

I was going to recommend The Screwtape Letters, but I see you've already read it :)

I'm really uncomfortable about stuff like that, even in movies. So I'd rather not read about them, especially when it comes to Biblical stuff, as I tend to get a bad feeling when the topic comes to the conversation. I don't know why, maybe it's because of my incredibly religious upbringing, or the fact that I grew up in a religious country, but the idea of demonology is sort of a taboo, and I tend to keep it that way. It was that way when I was growing up, and it's more of the fear of the unknown more than anything, and I'd rather not get my hands on these things. Good luck though!