The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Novelangel

People In Heaven Praying For Us

I'm currently reading the book, Heaven is For Real. There is an interesting section in there where the little boy, Colton, tells his dad that while he was visiting Heaven, he prayed for his dad that the Holy Spirit would help him. This is a new concept for me as I have never read about it in the Bible. I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a Bible verse where people in Heaven are praying for the living here on Earth? I kind of like the idea of my deceased loved ones interceding with God on my behalf, but is this Biblical? Is there a precedent for it in the Bible that I have yet to discover? I guess I just never thought of those in Heaven as wanting to look down on us and keep track of us as we continue through our lives. The thought of being watched by others besides God Himself, bothers me a bit. Take my grandparents for example. If they didn't watch every single thing I did while they were alive, would they be up there in Heaven right now, wanting to see everything I do? That just seems weird to me somehow. On the other hand, Colton wasn't really dead but was just "visiting" Heaven. Even though there were an awful lot of distractions in Heaven from what he describes, he still thought of his earthly daddy. Verses, anyone? Thank you.

I am skeptical about people who claim to have gone to heaven and returned. They contradict each other and also contradict what the Bible teaches about heaven. Perhaps you should read this:

https://mennoknight.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/he-didnt-go-to-heaven/

As far as I know the Bible doesn't say anything about people in heaven praying for us but it does teach that people in hell pray for us. In the story of the rich man and Lazarus, found in Luke 16, the rich man prayed that his brothers could escape being sent to where he was.

• Like 1

I am skeptical about people who claim to have gone to heaven and returned. They contradict each other and also contradict what the Bible teaches about heaven. Perhaps you should read this:

https://mennoknight.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/he-didnt-go-to-heaven/

As far as I know the Bible doesn't say anything about people in heaven praying for us but it does teach that people in hell pray for us. In the story of the rich man and Lazarus, found in Luke 16, the rich man prayed that his brothers could escape being sent to where he was.

Thank you for the link, theophilus. I had forgotten about that verse about God restricting talk about Heaven. It's almost as if He doesn't want our free will to be compromised by all the positive talk. There are certain things that He wants us to know about Heaven now and other things that are to be kept private until we arrive there. That is very true about people in hell praying for the living, I've read that verse as well. But if those in hell are capable of doing that, it stands to reason perhaps, that people in Heaven can do the same if they so desire. They may enjoy it so much there that they want all of their living family members to enjoy it as well. Who am I to limit the power of God, but I do like to have things backed up by His Word.

Last a year a boy who'd told a story similar to Colton Burpo's recanted his story, said he'd lied about going to heaven. I've read numerous NDEs and other literature written by New Agers who want to mislead Christians by telling them things they want to hear. Died, met family in heaven. Most of them are lies. Isaiah's prophecy:"“For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind." No one is praying for any sinners in heaven. Only Jesus is interceding for us. What I never can get is why people want to believe someone, a person they knew is praying for them when we have Jesus [the Son of God who is forever by God's side] reprsenting us in heaven.

• Like 2

The rich man is not asking Abraham to pray for his brothers but is making a request for someone to visit them. The Greek word is ἐρωτάω means "to ask, to ask a question, request." The phrase "I pray thee" is a common expression in the KJV meaning "to ask a question," or "request something." Edited by Origen
  • Like 3

Then there was Abraham's response: "They have Moses and the prophets. Let them hear them."

• Like 1

I like that response, Stratcat. While God isn't saying that people in Heaven can't pray for us on Earth, He is saying that we have a certain responsibility to do some research for ourselves and read what is written. We have our Bible, old and new testaments, so we can learn for ourselves the things we need to know. But, still, I wonder if our loved ones in Heaven do sometimes talk to Jesus about us. Perhaps they don't kneel down with closed eyes and clasped hands, but I think the relationship there is a bit different, more of a one-on-one friendship type of deal, a real relationship. So, basically, they could talk to Jesus the same way I talk to my parents or husband or other family and friends. Perhaps it's not so much prayer as it is a general conversation. I'm sure they have a lot to talk about in Heaven, and who wouldn't want to talk directly to Jesus Himself? It is an interesting thing to think about at least.

I cannot think of any specific biblical references to the idea, but I certainly know that it is a part of my belief and I know that all those that I have lost are up there watching over us. I guess now that I think about whether or not they are actively praying or not might be unsure, but I am pretty sure that that is not the debate that you are talking about here, at least I hope not. It is a good feeling knowing that for me, and it helps me cope with the loss of people that I love.

I cannot think of any specific biblical references to the idea, but I certainly know that it is a part of my belief and I know that all those that I have lost are up there watching over us. I guess now that I think about whether or not they are actively praying or not might be unsure, but I am pretty sure that that is not the debate that you are talking about here, at least I hope not. It is a good feeling knowing that for me, and it helps me cope with the loss of people that I love.

It's always a good idea to have a coping mechanism of some kind when we lose someone. If it helps to think of that person watching over us and praying for us, it's not a bad thing for us, emotionally. Whether that person is actually doing that or not is irrelevant as the point is that we need to feel that they are. I started this thread because I had never thought about this much before, even though I've lost people I love over the years, and I wondered if there was a Biblical precedent for what the little boy told his parents in Heaven is For Real. Perhaps there isn't too much written about the topic, but it is interesting from a discussion standpoint, I think.

Don't forget about Faith. Does it really matter who is praying for you? If you believe (or someone else believes) that a lost loved one is in heaven praying for them, Is there harm in that? I don't think so. Both my parents are in heaven, my faith has led me to believe this to be true. I feel their presence in me and I am comforted knowing they are looking after me and my loved ones here on earth.

• Like 1

Don't forget about Faith. Does it really matter who is praying for you? If you believe (or someone else believes) that a lost loved one is in heaven praying for them, Is there harm in that? I don't think so. Both my parents are in heaven, my faith has led me to believe this to be true. I feel their presence in me and I am comforted knowing they are looking after me and my loved ones here on earth.

It doesn't matter to me who is praying for me. I know that I have people doing that every day and they are still here with us on Earth. I just thought this would be an interesting debate as I personally have never seen anything of this in the Bible before and wondered if anyone could supply verses that support it. I believe very strongly in faith, yet I often have more faith in God than I do in other people. I think this is probably natural, because we tend to think of God as a faithful Person. I know that Jesus intercedes for us with the Father all the time, which I suppose could be construed as a form of prayer, so perhaps that is the Biblical concept that I seek right there.

I just thought this would be an interesting debate as I personally have never seen anything of this in the Bible before and wondered if anyone could supply verses that support it.
There are none.

We're not told a lot about what to expect in heaven, or even details about when or how we get there, which is why there are so many conflicting ideas. Interestingly, while more people believe in some version of heaven than there are those who believe in hell, the Biblical doctrine of heaven hasn't received the same kind of attention.

Of the hundreds of occurrences of the word "heaven" in the Bible, nearly all of them are derivatives of the just two words -- the Hebrew word shamayim and the Greek word ouranos. Literally, the Hebrew word means "the heights," and the Greek word has a similar meaning, "that which is raised up," and as an English word, its primary meaning is "that which is above."

When the word occurs in the Bible, unless it is used figuratively, it refers to one of three realms: the atmospheric space immediately above us, to the heavens that embrace the universe, or to heaven as the living place of God. These are the three definitions of ouranos in Greek literature.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." -- Isaiah 55:9-11 (NKJV)

In Job 38:29 and Deuteronomy 33:13, frost and dew are said to come from heaven. Perhaps the story of God casting down great stones from heaven at the battle of Gibeon (Joshua 10:11) refers to large hailstones. In more than one place, the Bible refers to thunder as coming from heaven, and clouds are identified with atmospheric heavens. Genesis speaks of birds from heaven. These are the atmospheric heavens.

However, in both the Old and New Testaments, heaven is referred to as the vast space above, which includes the sun, the moon, the stars, and the planets. Genesis 1:14 refers to lights in the firmament of the heavens.

"How have you fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven: I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. I will ascend above the tops of the clouds: I will make myself like the Most High.' But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit." -- Isaiah 14:12-15 (NKJV)

Amos and Job also speak of the planets and stars as being heaven, and some of the constellations are named in Job.

In the Old Testament, the Hebrew people were forbidden to worship these stellar bodies (Exodus 20:4), and were condemned for making sacrifices to the "queen of heaven" in Jeremiah 44:17-25. In the Old Testament, "heaven" is generally translated from shamayim, but sometimes the word shahaq is used, and variously rendered as either "clouds" or "sky." These are the celestial heavens.

1 Kings 8 indicates that the heaven of heavens cannot contain God, and that God is everywhere in the universe, yet heaven is defined elsewhere as the living place of God.

"For this is what the high and lofty One says -- he who lives forever, whose name is holy: 'I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit.'" -- Isaiah 57:15 (NKJV)

Often, God is said to be looking down from heaven, and is referred to as Lord, the God of heaven. Biblical words that refer to heaven as a swelling or habitation refer to the heaven as the abode of God. We know from Scripture that heaven was home to the angels as well.

In his writings, particularly in Philippians, Paul says that believers will have bodies that are conformed to that of the Lord Jesus Christ, and elsewhere in the New Testament, believers are referred to as citizens of heaven. Colossians 3:1 tells us to set our hearts on the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God, and to set our minds on things above, not on earthly things. "For you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you will also appear with him in glory."

Scripturally, heaven is one of the major components of the universe, the place where God has put the sun, moon and stars. It is also the place where God lives, from which He reigns, and to which Christ ascended in order to prepare a place for us. When we become Christians, we become citizens of heaven. But we don't know a lot about it.

Some people consider heaven to be a place of perfect peace and tranquility, but others note that the present heaven is the place from which an angry God reveals His wrath, into which the powers of evil intrude and engage in war, from which the saints cry out, and which will eventually be destroyed and renewed. We are told that, as Christians, we will experience a new heaven and a new earth, which will be free of all pain, sorrow and suffering.

Heaven is mentioned several times in Scripture, but we're not told a lot about it. I don't see any evidence that people visit heaven and then return, although some have claimed to have done so, and I don't know what things will be like there. Christ told the thief on the cross that he would be with Him in heaven that day, but many Christians have found evidence in Scripture to indicate that we don't go to heaven until after Christ returns. Or does that refer only to the new heaven?

If Christians who have died are in heaven today, are they aware of what is going on here on earth? Do they follow the day to day struggles of their loved ones who are still on earth? If so, then it might seem logical that they may be able to intercede, but that's reading stuff into Scripture that isn't there, I fear.

• Like 1

Actually, there is someone in heaven praying for us. Jesus is praying to the Father on our behalf. If he is praying for us, it doesn't matter whether anyone else in heaven is.

• Like 1

Last a year a boy who'd told a story similar to Colton Burpo's recanted his story, said he'd lied about going to heaven. I've read numerous NDEs and other literature written by New Agers who want to mislead Christians by telling them things they want to hear. Died, met family in heaven. Most of them are lies. Isaiah's prophecy:"“For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind." No one is praying for any sinners in heaven. Only Jesus is interceding for us. What I never can get is why people want to believe someone, a person they knew is praying for them when we have Jesus [the Son of God who is forever by God's side] reprsenting us in heaven.

Not only that, but his parents tried to get the publishing house to stop selling the story after he recanted the story. But the publishing house refuses to stop selling it because of how much money it makes. It's more likely that the reason everyone's personal encounters of heaven and hell when they temporarily died, that you mind creates what it grew up learning about with a collection of you past. I think people deep down know where they are going even if they hope otherwise but the mind makes a logical conclusion. I don't think people who aren't personally chosen by God, or completely dead will ever know the truth.

Actually, there is someone in heaven praying for us. Jesus is praying to the Father on our behalf. If he is praying for us, it doesn't matter whether anyone else in heaven is.

I like this a lot. I agree with you on this one. If Jesus is interceding on our behalf we have it 'made in the shade' basically and nobody else really needs to help intervene. But since the little boy wasn't actually dead when he had his vision/dream/ out-of-body experience, perhaps he was simply praying for his dad the way any of us would in normal life. If I were to take a trip to Mars, I'd still be able to pray just as much on that planet as I do on this one, so perhaps the child was still able to pray just as he can in his every day life. Plus, his experience is not unprecedented. John, on the island of Patmos went through a similar experience, so I suppose a 'living' visit to Heaven is not impossible.

I suppose a 'living' visit to Heaven is not impossible.

At least one person who once claimed to visit Heaven has admitted that his visit didn't really happen.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/malarkey-heaven-visit-story-confirmed-as-a-lie-publisher-to-take-action-by-pulling-book-132685/

It is possible for God to take someone to Heaven to show him what it is like but it is also possible to someone to make a false claim of having been taken to Heaven. The only description of Heaven that we can know is true is the one given by John in the book of Revelation. When anyone else claims to have seen Heaven we need to compare his description with what John revealed to find out whether or not it is true.

• Like 1

At least one person who once claimed to visit Heaven has admitted that his visit didn't really happen.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/malarkey-heaven-visit-story-confirmed-as-a-lie-publisher-to-take-action-by-pulling-book-132685/

It is possible for God to take someone to Heaven to show him what it is like but it is also possible to someone to make a false claim of having been taken to Heaven. The only description of Heaven that we can know is true is the one given by John in the book of Revelation. When anyone else claims to have seen Heaven we need to compare his description with what John revealed to find out whether or not it is true.

This is very true. I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, how do we deal with the language of the day, when John used what he had to describe what he saw while he was visiting Heaven? Perhaps today's language would take the same descriptors and use them in different ways. For example... another phrase from the Bible was trying to describe the future and states that people moved about very fast, (or something like that. I'm paraphrasing now.) In today's language that could mean that we drive 70 miles per hour on the freeways and fly through the air at a few hundred miles per hour in jets. What do we do with 'revelations' given by people when perhaps phrasing is the only incompatibility? I'm not sure if I'm being clear right now, but the era that we live in could have something to do with minor discrepancies. It's the major differences that we need to look at and determine their relevance.

another phrase from the Bible was trying to describe the future and states that people moved about very fast,

Is this what you are referring to?

But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end.
Many shall run to and fro
, and knowledge shall increase.”

(Daniel 12:4 ESV)

I personally like to believe my dead loved ones are up there praying for me because some days, that's all that keeps me going. It makes me feel better, it gives me hope, and it keeps me strong. Whether or not it's true, I believe no one can really tell. But I'll remain faithful to that belief until my time comes and I'm able to know for certain.

Is this what you are referring to?

But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end.
Many shall run to and fro
, and knowledge shall increase.”

(Daniel 12:4 ESV)

Probably. That definitely reads like something foretelling the future. It seems like there was another passage as well, so I need to do some research and see if I can find it if it exists. Seems as though there was a comment about speed, as in how fast people travel. This passage is a good one as well, because it talks of knowledge increasing, and that has certainly happened at a rapid pace just since the 1800's or so. But my point is, phrases and words are different now, and so are descriptors. Even the knowledge of numbers has changed over the centuries. Back in the Biblical days they had to say things like, "tens of thousands", because they didn't have a word representing millions.

I like to believe that the people who have passed on to the next life is watching over their loved ones, and maybe even helping them in their times of need, but I'm a bit too negative for that sort of thing. For one, I never had anyone watch over me, people who are living, so I don't think someone on the other side would give me the time of day. There are times that I think that God may be watching, but that is also clouded by my negativity. Sure, I believe, but if there are instances where I can do certain problems on my own, I do not ask God for any assistance, I mean any assistance would be good, but I wouldn't just wait around and sit by while waiting for divine intervention. But that's just me though.

• Like 1

I like to believe that the people who have passed on to the next life is watching over their loved ones, and maybe even helping them in their times of need, but I'm a bit too negative for that sort of thing. For one, I never had anyone watch over me, people who are living, so I don't think someone on the other side would give me the time of day. There are times that I think that God may be watching, but that is also clouded by my negativity. Sure, I believe, but if there are instances where I can do certain problems on my own, I do not ask God for any assistance, I mean any assistance would be good, but I wouldn't just wait around and sit by while waiting for divine intervention. But that's just me though.

My husband is like this sometimes. He doesn't always feel like God answers his prayers so he relies a lot on me because I believe strongly in the power of prayer. Even when we are capable of doing something all by ourselves, it never hurts to say a little prayer, if for no other reason than to make us feel more secure in what we are doing. We recently worked on a car project together, trying to save money on mechanic bills. There are certain things that I can do, but since I don't have the hand and arm strength that my husband has, I rely a lot more on prayer, and God answered that prayer by having the two of us work together on the project, me doing whatever I can and my husband doing the rest. I guess this is the reason why God made men and women differently, so they would need each other in different ways and have to work together to accomplish things.

I don't actually know if our loved ones in heave are praying for us. There's no account in the bible that tells us that this is true. So I cannot really answer your question because the bible has no answer for it. We do know that those who lived their life according to the ways go God, they're entitled to a place in heaven, that's for sure. So that's a great thought, knowing that our loved ones are safe and happy there. As far as them seeing what's happening to us on Earth, I don't know for sure as well. Again, there's nothing on the bible about this.

I'm sorry that I don't have the answers for you. But know this, we have the angels, the saints, Jesus and God... They're all praying for us. We only need to live our lives according to God's ways and we'll be okay. Have faith and believe in Him because then you'd be saved and be granted eternal life. And maybe then, we'd be worthy of living in eternal life as well.

When I was still a Catholic, I didn't just think that our dead close relatives are in heaven and praying for us, I actually prayed to them for help. But now I know better. I know it can be comforting to think about close family members being in heaven and praying for those who are still living. We often tell that to people who are grieving and it gives them comfort somehow. But then again, if our dead relatives are accounted to be worthy of heaven, they will be in a blissful place where there are no worries, hurts, and tears and where they can worship and praise God like angles. If they have to worry about every living relative, then they will find no peace. That's not heaven. Right now, I know that Jesus is praying for me and my loved ones, and that prayer is all the prayer I need.

• Like 1