The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Corzhens

Feast of 3 Kings

The feast of the Magi is now called the Feast of Three Kings to commemorate the visit of the Magi to the manger where Jesus was born. As part of the commemoration, children are given treats and coins if they would leave their shoes or socks by the door. It used to be celebrated on January 7 but now it was changed to the first Sunday of January. Children were taught to look at the Magi as kings who were educated and intellectuals. Maybe that myth was to make the Magi more appealing to the children. And that occasion was also meant to teach generosity for the Magi came with their gifts for the baby Jesus.

the visit of the Magi to the manger where Jesus was born

There is one problem with this. The Magi never visited the manger. When they came to Bethlehem Joseph and Mary were living in a house and their visit may have been as much as two years after Jesus was born.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/12/21/luke-and-the-wise-men/

There is one problem with this. The Magi never visited the manger. When they came to Bethlehem Joseph and Mary were living in a house and their visit may have been as much as two years after Jesus was born.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/12/21/luke-and-the-wise-men/

I understand your point based on the Bible. What I am relating is the tradition in our country. If we take away the manger then the drama will be lessened. I hope you get what I mean. And even the Kings, they are not really Kings, we know that, but for the children, they would understand it better if they are kings and not savants or astronomers. Again, it is all about the dramatics. And in fairness to our tradition, that occasion will not be that popular if we would stick to facts. Even Christmas has many myths included in the tradition. I guess that's the way things are when facts are left to people. History is not 100% fact and I'd say that is the reality.