The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
davy

Watching For Christ's Coming

If a believer on The Father through His Son Jesus Christ wants to be found watching for His second coming and the events, then know that Jesus and His Apostles commanded us to be watching. Our Lord Jesus also revealed in His Word the events to happen leading up to His second coming to gather His Church. To watch then, each believer has a personal decision to make...

1. The believer can go ask and heed someone else besides The Lord:

This might be a pastor, evangelist, minister, or an elder in the Christian Church you attend. But did you bother to directly ask our Heavenly Father in Jesus' Name first, and discipline yourself in His Word to know where He showed us?

2. The believer can go study many Bible commentaries:

You might find some good Bible commentaries, and some bad, because some men seek position and self-gain, as we were warned by our Lord Jesus about the "hireling" in John 10, and by God through His Old Testament prophets (Ezekiel 13), and by Christ's Apostles especially for the last days (2 Timothy 4).

3. Or you can go live your life how you want while thinking you will escape all the coming troubles:

That includes the thinking that since you have believed on Jesus and got baptized, then there's no need to be watching, instead thinking since you're already saved, so why watch, i.e, just be ready, which men's idea of being 'ready' is such an elusive and undefined idea that no one can really define what it actually means. Most brethren believe they are to be 'ready' for Christ to return, but not all brethren are 'watching' for His return. There's a difference between those two ideas. One is a state of mind that can allow one to disregard Scripture about the times and the seasons of the end of this world, the other is to be aware according to times and the seasons as written by staying in The Word of God.

4. I present the most reliable answer:

​Stay in God's Word for yourself, asking our Heavenly Father through His Son, and get down to disciplined Bible study. Check your teachers directly in God's Word, regardless of what credentials they claim to have. If you do that, then you will 'know' when something being taught in the Church is not Scriptural, and is instead of doctrine devised by men. Often, it will take quite a bit of Bible study to be sure of when that is happening (two or more witnesses in God's Word are required for it to be a valid Biblical doctrine).

• Like 1

When we cut out the return of Jesus coming back at anytime we have cut the heart out of missions and the reason to become a follower of jesus Christ, when the Holy Spirit is earging a person to become Christian.

justme

Waiting for my righteous King to return for the prophecy that was unto Hezekiah to be fulfilled once again in Christ... Isaiah 32:5 KJV

• Like 1

Trist, do you think you will witness it in your lifetime? I believe that the tribulation will come first before the return of Jesus Christ. I read matthew 24 and that is what it says.

justme

Edited by Just Mike

Trist, do you think you will witness it in your lifetime? I believe that the tribulation will come first before the return of Jesus Christ. I read matthew 24 and that is what it says.

justme

I would state Rev 11 is a sign that can't be mistaken.

I hold to a premillennialism post tribulation return of Jesus. Rev 16:15 ends the reign of the beast and ushers in everlasting righteousness. I follow the timeline of Rev. which has the same outcome as Jesus taught in the gospels but separates the resurrection and the judgment of all by a thousand years. Then the New Jerusalem shall come down to earth by God and the Father Himself will dwell with man.

justme

I would state Rev 11 is a sign that can't be mistaken.

I hold to a premillennialism post tribulation return of Jesus. Rev 16:15 ends the reign of the beast and ushers in everlasting righteousness. I follow the timeline of Rev. which has the same outcome as Jesus taught in the gospels but separates the resurrection and the judgment of all by a thousand years. Then the New Jerusalem shall come down to earth by God and the Father Himself will dwell with man.

Close to my belief, except I am a Historical premillennialists.

What the difference between Historical primill and post tribulation primill?

We might be the same thing ."Historically, church fathers favored historic premillennialism, including Ireneaus, Papias, Justin Martyr, Tertullian, and Hippolytus. They taught that the kingdom of God would be visibly manifest on earth after the second coming of Jesus. First, the Antichrist would appear and then a seven-year period of tribulation would commence. Following that would be the rapture and Jesus' reign, followed by eternity. This was prevailing belief in the first three centuries or so after Jesus rose from the dead. However, when Rome made its offical religion in the fourth century, amillenniaism took over." Historic premillennialism -- What is it? Google.

Edited by Just Mike

Premillennialists are usually Dispensational. Such people holding to this would be Herman Hoyt. My position is best stated by George Eldon Ladd. It is a rather complected to answer, I suggest you google his name and that would give you a better answer in depth

I don't believe God replaced anyone but expanded to all the world an offer to be in the family of God and changed the terms and conditions specifically Jesus Christ as to how sin is forgiven.

I don't hold to two families but one family which consists at the beginning of jews, gentiles, male, female, rich, poor whoever calls on the name of the Lord. Even Roman soldiers. I believe Jesus introduced a new covenant in His blood and per the Fathers will sent that message of new life out to all the world. Starting in Israel of course. "Individual" access to God is available to all via Christ Jesus and has not been blocked to any. Even among the Israelites God made a distinction between the righteous and unrighteous. No one was saved by heritage and a country does not bring salvation to its people.

the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people. 27To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

There may be many Jews, (those that practice Judaism) at the time of the end who through the testimony in Rev 11 come to believe in Jesus but they will enter the kingdom of God the same way we did by faith In Christ Jesus.

Premillennialists are usually Dispensational. Such people holding to this would be Herman Hoyt. My position is best stated by George Eldon Ladd. It is a rather complected to answer, I suggest you google his name and that would give you a better answer in depth

I don't believe God replaced anyone but expanded to all the world an offer to be in the family of God and changed the terms and conditions specifically Jesus Christ as to how sin is forgiven.

I don't hold to two families but one family which consists at the beginning of jews, gentiles, male, female, rich, poor whoever calls on the name of the Lord. Even Roman soldiers. I believe Jesus introduced a new covenant in His blood and per the Fathers will sent that message of new life out to all the world. Starting in Israel of course. "Individual" access to God is available to all via Christ Jesus and has not been blocked to any. Even among the Israelites God made a distinction between the righteous and unrighteous. No one was saved by heritage and a country does not bring salvation to its people.

the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people. 27To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

There may be many Jews, (those that practice Judaism) at the time of the end who through the testimony in Rev 11 come to believe in Jesus but they will enter the kingdom of God the same way we did by faith In Christ Jesus.

Re read my post I totally edited it. You must have seen it while I was retyping it..Sorry, I did further study.

We might be the same thing ."Historically, church fathers favored historic premillennialism, including Ireneaus, Papias, Justin Martyr, Tertullian, and Hippolytus. They taught that the kingdom of God would be visibly manifest on earth after the second coming of Jesus. First, the Antichrist would appear and then a seven-year period of tribulation would commence. Following that would be the rapture and Jesus' reign, followed by eternity. This was prevailing belief in the first three centuries or so after Jesus rose from the dead. However, when Rome made its offical religion in the fourth century, amillenniaism took over." Historic premillennialism -- What is it? Google.

Well it reads like I am mostly historic premill. I don't hold to a 7 year reign of the anti Christ (false prophet) only a reign of 42 months. While the birth pains might be judgments for 42 months and the reign of the beast the last 42 months. Its during the reign of the beast that I view as the great tribulation. And that great tribulation shall not begin until the last testimony and witness has been given (1260 days in Jerusalem) as is stated in Rev 11 for a loving God warns and warns upfront and if any in those days has even a shred of faith and love for Jesus they will believe and be saved but the rest of the world who take joy in the killing of Gods two witnesses will be deceived and follow the beast to their destruction. For anyone who willfully receives the mark of the beast and worships the beast has earned the 2nd death. At the end on the last day the Lord comes with the dead in Christ and reigns and the 1000 years begin. Those left alive on that last day will be caught up and clothed with immortality for flesh and blood can't inherit the eternal Kingdom God promises to those that love Him.

The case for amillennialism is for those who follow the time line in the gospels the case for premillennialism is for those who follow the timeline found in Rev. The outcome for all is the same in both timelines.(testimonies)

Randy, I gave a long period of time studding the four views and struggled with each one. After a process of going over each view I felt this one best fit me. I base most of my thinking on Matthew 24, as I think the words of Jesus has the most weight on the subject. I often go and will share why I believe as I do, but I no longer debate the reasons, but I dialogue when there is no argument involved.

I really and not much into doing much more on the views, as I made up my mind and that settled it for me. I am now doing my duty studding Calvinism. I have serious questions and have some unsettled thinking about Calvinism, but I know there are many points of Arminianism i can not agree with. My deepest struggle is with free will and that is where my study time is now. God bless you Randy.

Randy, I gave a long period of time studding the four views and struggled with each one. After a process of going over each view I felt this one best fit me. I base most of my thinking on Matthew 24, as I think the words of Jesus has the most weight on the subject. I often go and will share why I believe as I do, but I no longer debate the reasons, but I dialogue when there is no argument involved.

I really and not much into doing much more on the views, as I made up my mind and that settled it for me. I am now doing my duty studding Calvinism. I have serious questions and have some unsettled thinking about Calvinism, but I know there are many points of Arminianism i can not agree with. My deepest struggle is with free will and that is where my study time is now. God bless you Randy.

End Times is probably the most debated Christain subject.

The book of Rev is also the words (testimony) of Jesus. Given to Him by God after He had risen. Rev 1:1 For in these last days God speaks to us by His Son hebrews 1:1

Rev 22:16

"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star."

Zech 14

The mount of olives will be split in two to make a way of escape from the surrounding armies. And speaks of that unique day of the Lord. (Last day) That hasn't happened yet. Certainly not in the 1st century

On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south. 5You will flee by my mountain valley, for it will extend to Azel. You will flee as you fled from the earthquakea in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the Lord my God will come, and all the holy ones with him.

6On that day there will be neither sunlight nor cold, frosty darkness. 7It will be a unique day—a day known only to the Lord—with no distinction between day and night. When evening comes, there will be light.

Rev 11

The two witnesses are killed by the beast after the 1260 of testimony has been given as set by Gods will that is the last warning can't be ended by any power under the heavens until it is completed as I stated earlier a loving God warns and warns upfront as in choose life. So that any who do have faith to believe will believe the signs given in Rev 11.The beast that kills the two witnesses would have to be the false prophet , (a man or human being),who acts in behalf of the angel of the abyss. A fallen angel in league with Satan.

Same city and timing as in Zech 14

Could this be the earthquake that splits the mount of olives? As in Zech 14:5

Rev 11

At that very hour there was a severe earthquake and a tenth of the city collapsed. Seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the survivors were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.

The bowl judgments are the last of Gods judgments and are the judgments that plunge the beasts kingdom into darkness. Ref: Rev 15 and Rev 16 at the end we have the lords coming. Rev 16:15

The angel of the abyss is released from imprisonment at the sounding of the 5th trump of God. Which would be in the days of Rev 11 as it is the beast who kills the two witnesses after their testimony has been completed.(1260 days as I read) At the sounding of the 7th trump of God the Kingdom of this world becomes the kingdom of God and His Christ. So the 5th to 7th trump calls must be concurrent with the bowl judgments (the reign of the beast-42 months)

• Like 1

Here's a really good (and short) book on the various views: https://www.amazon.com/Christian-Endgame-Kenneth-R-Samples/dp/1886653348

Here's the promotional video for the book. I like the way Ken Samples took a page out of C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity."

• Like 1