Technical information and announcements about our Christian forums.

ATTENTION MEMBERS: Children under the age of 13 years old

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTENTION MEMBERS: Children under the age of 13 years old

Hello Members,

Our user registration now requires people to submit their age. If under 13 years of age a COPPA registration consent form is required through the registration page. If you would like to read about COPPA: Children's Privacy

Furthermore, please be aware that children are present on our website (under 18). I ask that adults keep this in mind, and alert us of any suspicious posts towards children (gathering of information), if you are under 18 and have been contacted by a member that is attempting to collect information from you we ask that you alert your legal parents or guardians.

God bless,
    William

Originally posted by William View Post
    Hello Members,

Furthermore, please be aware that children are present on our website (under 18). I ask that adults keep this in mind, and alert us of any suspicious posts towards children (gathering of information), if you are under 18 and have been contacted by a member that is attempting to collect information from you we ask that you alert your legal parents or guardians.

God bless,
    William
    You have my full support, you cant be too careful with kids anymore and we must make sure they know to NEVER, I mean EVER give out any personal or incriminating information, even to trusted internet friends because you never know who you`re really talking to online.

There was a 14 year old girl on youtube who started talking to what she thought was a boy who really liked and cared about her, he was really a 27 year old man who used her, talked her out of all of her personal information, talked her into doing some inappropriate things, when she finally got creeped out and refused to do more or meet him he started rumors in her school until she moved, and he kept it going at the new school and bullying followed until she committed suicide, sorry for the macabre story its just one of hundreds of thousands so beware.

In all honesty I am glad to see a rule like this, some people really do care about other people and their children.
    Comment>

Thanks for your support JSB. This is one of those things I never really thought about, but it's like the first time I saw my daughter sitting in the backseat of the car through the rear view mirror as I was blaring explicit music over the radio. I just never paid attention to the lyrics until becoming a parent.

We are an open forum, if I do nothing I am liable according to certain laws for children under 13. So I think it is better to address any issues whether precautionary or through active moderation policies rather than nothing. That is, it is better to do something instead of turning a blind eye.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Yes, that is true, one must do something in those situations, Ive had to handle very similar things myself as a moderator on one site and an admin on another quite a while back (nowhere near a Christian forum btw) so I know what you mean.

The reason I pointed that out is many people just don't care to say anything, kind of avoiding it, and if it were to happen they would handle it privately leaving it open to happen again, I respect you posting that and saw it as loving your neighbor, I wasn't criticizing and if it sounded that way I apologize my posts often come off as criticizing or condescending when it is not nor ever is my intention at all, I try to keep the tone of my writing in check and it still slips by sometimes.

Keep up the good work William.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap