The Protestant theological system of John Calvin and his successors, which develops Luther's doctrine of justification by faith alone and emphasizes the grace of God and the doctrine of predestination.

The Reformation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Reformation?

How can you believe in the Reformation when the church was not reformed but new churches, (if that's even possible) were created?

Men came out of the RCC -- Martin Luther was one of them. Some of the monks realized that some of what the RCC taught was not Scriptural -- they tried to reform the church from within, but couldn't. So we've got the Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist churches and the Baptist came along after a while. And there's also John Calvin and Armenianism. Except I can't remember Mr. Armenias' first name.

Protestantism was a result of the Reformation.
    Comment>

Jacob/Jacobus Arminius.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WEB_ARMINIUS_Mozaiek.png
Views:	1
Size:	918.4 KB
ID:	50533
      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>

And here's my favorite quote by Arminius:

Next to the study of the Scriptures which I earnestly inculcate, I exhort my pupils to peruse Calvin's Commentaries, which I extol in loftier terms than Helmich himself [a Dutch divine, 1551-1608]; for I affirm that he excels beyond comparison (incomparabilem esse) in the interpretation of Scripture, and that his commentaries ought to be more highly valued than all that is handed down to us by the library of the fathers; so that I acknowledge him to have possessed above most others, or rather above all other men, what may be called an eminent spirit of prophecy (spiritum aliquem prophetiae eximium). ~Jacobus Arminius

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

Ah, yes, Jacob Arminius - thank you.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
            Ah, yes, Jacob Arminius - thank you.
            Hi Sue, no problem. Being a Calvinist, I have come across that name pretty often in my studies and in my discussions over the last 30 years.

--David

Comment>

Then you must these are false churches built by men! For Jesus Christ said "l will build My church ( singular or one true church) Peter and the Apostles, with power and authority!" Matt 16:18 John 20:21 Eph 2:20 the so called reformers were NOT Apostles!
              Comment>

Originally posted by markwsmith View Post
                How can you believe in the Reformation when the church was not reformed but new churches, (if that's even possible) were created?
                You need to consider what the word "church" means. It is a body of people who are called out of a larger group for a special purpose. It can mean the universal church, which is made up of all believers, or it can mean a local church, all of the believers in a certain geographical area. It was intended to reform the universal church and to some extent it succeeded because many Catholics believed the gospel and were saved. Many of them had to leave the Catholic church so they gathered together to form new local churches where they could meet together for teaching and fellowship.
                Clyde Herrin's Blog
                Comment>

How can there be more than one true church, are there more than one God, kingdom, new covenant, household of faith, vineyard, no! But theres thousands of church's, all founded by men and false churches not built by Christ on Peter and the Apostles! The church must be universal also, John 3:16 the whole world!
                  Comment>

There is one true church made up of all who are true believers in Christ. There are many local churches made up of a group of believers living in a specific locality. The New Testament includes letters that Paul wrote to churches in Rome, Corinth, Galatia, Ephesus, Colossae, and Thessalonica. In addition there are groups of local churches who share the same belief that are associated in organizations that call themselves churches, such as the Catholic church or the Anglican church. Local churches include members who are born again and are members of the true church and also some who profess to be Christians but are not really members of the true church.

Do you attend a church anywhere? Being involved in a local church might help you understand what the Bible is talking about when it speaks of churches.
                    Clyde Herrin's Blog
                    Comment>

There can only be one church as Christ said I will build My church! There can only be one body of Christ! Not some spiritual gathering of believers! But the one true church ( physical) you are a holy nation etc. 1 Pet 2:9
                      Comment>

There is only one true body but the members of that body are spread out through all of the world so they can't all meet together in one place. That is why we have local churches.
                        Clyde Herrin's Blog
                        Comment>

Yes bit each local church must be united to Christ by the Apostles! The reformers and their false doctrines and church are not built by Christ on Peter and the Apostles, there is only one new and eternal covenant with Christ as the mediator! One true church!
                          Comment>

Yes bit each local church must be united to Christ by the Apostles!
                            Each church must be united to Christ but it is the Holy Spirit, not the apostles, who forms this union.
                            Clyde Herrin's Blog
                            Comment>

Yes bit each local church must be united to Christ by the Apostles! The reformers and their false doctrines and church are not built by Christ on Peter and the Apostles, there is only one new and eternal covenant with Christ as the mediator! One true church!
                              Yeah I know what you mean. All those false doctrines like reading the Bible for yourself in your native language, believing that the righteous should live by faith, and that salvation is not by works. What were they thinking?!?!?!? THEY MUST HAVE BEEN CRAZY.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap