The Protestant theological system of John Calvin and his successors, which develops Luther's doctrine of justification by faith alone and emphasizes the grace of God and the doctrine of predestination.

What is the TULIP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the TULIP?

A tulip is a flower with intertwining petals, without which, would not make up a complete flower. If one petal is removed from the flower, it ceases, for all intents and purposes, to be complete. It is the same with the essential doctrines of salvation. Each doctrine is essentially linked to the others. If one of them is removed, then the whole system falls into absurdity and contradiction. (In this way, there would be no such thing as a 3 point Calvinist or a 4 point Calvinist (like Amyraldianism)–it would be better to say they are confused Arminians.) Using the term “Calvinist” as a mirror to the doctrines of grace is over-simplifying the theological position. Calvinism is made up of much more than simply 5 points on salvation. Too many Christians today use the term “Calvinism” to speak only of the doctrines of the 5 points. Rather, they ought simply to refer to the 5 points as “the doctrines of grace.” Calvinism is a much broader term used specifically of those who hold to Calvin’s Institutes, and more precisely, of those who hold Calvin’s view of the sacraments. Calvinism houses the entirety of the Institutes of the Christian Religion, especially Calvin’s view on the means of grace.

T.U.L.I.P. concerns the essential doctrines of God’s grace which pertain to the salvation of God’s chosen people through the atoning work of Jesus Christ. The Puritans were keenly aware that if the essentials of the Christian faith were overthrown or changed, then true religious faith disappeared. It would no longer be the faith of the Bible. It would not longer be the doctrines of the Bible. It would no longer be Christianity. Rather, it would be the vanity of someone’s unbiblical and unexegetical mind, heresy which would infiltrate and hurt the people of God.

Read more: T.U.L.I.P. and the Doctrines of Grace | A Puritan's Mind

well Mr. William I'm not Calvinist per say, but I do know that it is always God's choice, that's through out the bible continually, and when I do say such to any others I get a "that's Calvinism" like the next thing they are going to do is brake out a cross to protect them from evil, like in a horror movie.

but after some time seeing and thinking about it, it comes clear these who fear that it's God's choice, and not theirs, don't want their ideas of them being the chooser of God to evaporate bursting the freewill bubble. this would tear down their self righteousness of being responsible for their own salvation. hence valuing their own judgement of what is good for themselves.

Comment>

Originally posted by DPMartin View Post
      well Mr. William I'm not Calvinist per say, but I do know that it is always God's choice, that's through out the bible continually, and when I do say such to any others I get a "that's Calvinism" like the next thing they are going to do is brake out a cross to protect them from evil, like in a horror movie.

but after some time seeing and thinking about it, it comes clear these who fear that it's God's choice, and not theirs, don't want their ideas of them being the chooser of God to evaporate bursting the freewill bubble. this would tear down their self righteousness of being responsible for their own salvation. hence valuing their own judgement of what is good for themselves.
      G'day Martin,

Couldn't agree more, but usually I stop short of calling someone puffed up in pride and arrogance. Saying God is sovereign and actually placing all our trust in a sovereign God are two different things which becomes apparent when expressing our soteriology verbatim.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

G'day Martin,

Couldn't agree more, but usually I stop short of calling someone puffed up in pride and arrogance. Saying God is sovereign and actually placing all our trust in a sovereign God are two different things which becomes apparent when expressing our soteriology verbatim.

God bless,
        William
        well see William, you're a nice person, I'm not, there is a reason why people don't conform to the ways of the Lord God and it's almost always pride behind it. the Lord Jesus is correct, we are not, all the time, end of sentence. all else is pride, in this case.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap