Christian Testimonies: The Stories of Our Lives Christian testimonies are the stories told by believers about what God has done and is doing in their lives.

Back to the 'Welcome Mat' for me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the 'Welcome Mat' for me.

I can't remember whether or what I might have said here when I first joined, but not to worry.
    Right now I wish to explain that my faith (such as it is) is foundered in the Independent non-denominational chapel (opposite side of the road to where we lived) the Sunday School of which my parents used in order to get themselves a bit of respite from about the age of 4.
    I progressed from Sunday School to 'Young men's class' at around 13 and shortly started attending services because my childhood 'sweetheart' was a regular attendee with her elder sister.
    Myself and my girlfriend were baptised together at the age of 15 and that was part of a gradual succession that led to the fullest imaginable commitment.
    But I never experienced a 'road to Damascus' conversion since I had always progressively 'fallen in' with all aspects of what a person might be 'converted to'.
    I am now 81, I have never ever doubted the existence of the God of Christianity, and I have always sought to worship Him, through Christ, in spirit and in truth.
    But in all those years I have trodden the boards of denominational division, and sometimes think that I must have 'seen it all'.
    Much of what I've witnessed has left me very sceptical of certain aspect of 'Evangelical Fundamentalism' and totally intolerant of the extremes of 'charismatic' worship, such as the Benny Hinn type 'slain in the spirit' stuff.
    It is now very difficult for me to find unaffiliated, non-denominational churches, where I can worship, without distraction, and with reverence and Godly awe.
    Members might tell me that, without a conversion experience, I am not a real 'Christian'.
    Whatever the case, I am enjoying the forum and hope that members will make allowance for the 'grumpy old man' that I sometimes portray, and for the non-mainstream variation that has inevitable developed from my journeyings in the 'faith'.

Hi Way of the Spirit,

Welcome from one grumpy old man to another - though I'm not quite as old as you (I'll leave aside grumpiness comparisons).

See you around the board.

God bless

Bede
    Comment>

Hello Way of the Spirit
      Comment>

Greetings,
        I have mentioned it before, but as someone that God knocked on his kiester on the road to Damascus, I love to hear about people who don't have a similar story.
        I have come to the conclusion that God saves people the way he saved me, to prove that His arm is not short ... and God saves people the way he saved you, to prove the He is faithful.

In both cases ... To God be the Glory!

Welcome.
        Arthur

(PS: at age 54 ... it isn't the years, its the miles) ;)
        Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
          Greetings,
          I have mentioned it before, but as someone that God knocked on his kiester on the road to Damascus, I love to hear about people who don't have a similar story.
          I have come to the conclusion that God saves people the way he saved me, to prove that His arm is not short ... and God saves people the way he saved you, to prove the He is faithful.

In both cases ... To God be the Glory!

Welcome.
          Arthur

(PS: at age 54 ... it isn't the years, its the miles) ;)
          Dear Arthur,
          Thanks for you wise words of comfort.
          Mike.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Way of the Spirit View Post
            But I never experienced a 'road to Damascus' conversion since I had always progressively 'fallen in' with all aspects of what a person might be 'converted to'.
            I am now 81, I have never ever doubted the existence of the God of Christianity, and I have always sought to worship Him, through Christ, in spirit and in truth.... . Members might tell me that, without a conversion experience, I am not a real 'Christian'
            G'day Mike,

Many "Covenant" children have similar testimonies as you Mike. In my opinion too much emphasis is placed on either "prodigal children" stories or "conversion testimonies" with such emphasis that Covenant children are provoked to wanting. They feel as if they are actually discredited sometimes, because they don't have the experience of falling away or worldly wisdom, but instead have testimonies of proper upbringing and obedience, needlessly said, they usually have testimonies of strong family relationships. Covenant children are baptized young and brought up in the precepts of the Lord, and many many of them never turned away, but their faith, like a fine wine only became better with age.

And if a member tells you that you're not a Christian because you are without a conversion experience, do me a favor and report the post by the "flag" option below each post. Keep in mind that this doubt may come through an attempt to make you question the legitimacy of your baptism when done in the name of the Trinity. If you were a Covenant child, some will attempt to make you rebaptize in doubt and therefore "experience" a conversion.

Just some words of encouragement and acknowledgment.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap