Christian Testimonies: The Stories of Our Lives Christian testimonies are the stories told by believers about what God has done and is doing in their lives.

Do you have some special experiences?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have some special experiences?

Today, I read the Bible with my mother, when we read the verses, “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) (kjv) my mother told me what happened to me when I was a child: when I was six years old, I fell off the bridge five metres in high and fell to the ground, then I was unconscious, an acquaintance sent me to my home. I woke up until the next morning. I found my foot hurt when I stood up. My parents took me to the doctor. Then the doctor said that my foot was only slightly hurt. We took some medicines and went home. My mother also said,“where you fell off was a pile of stones before you had an accident, but someone moved away the stones to dig the sand, so you fell on the sand and slightly wounded, otherwise you would fell on the stone and hurt seriously, and even be disabled. ” Hearing my mother's words, my heart was moved and I kept thanking the Lord in my heart . Though I didn't believed in the Lord at that time, He still kept and cared for me. It confirmed my faith to the Lord, meanwhile, combining the above verses, I understood that no matter what happened, we should thank the Lord for His salvation. Brothers and sisters, I believe that you may have the similar experiences, could you share them with me?

Originally posted by Jennifer View Post
    Brothers and sisters, I believe that you may have the similar experiences, could you share them with me?
    I've had a couple experiences of that kind which occured when I was an atheist. Their miraculous nature is only evident when viewed in hindsight and with the veil of unbelief removed.

I don't base my faith in these events although they are a nice confirmation of God's interest in me. By the same token, God could decide tomorrow to make me a quadriplegic for reasons known only to Him... so, I'm not really into recounting fantastic events as evidence of God's existence or His love for me. Non-believers won't be convinced by such stories, and I would hope that Christians would look at them askance as well.

PermaFrost
    Comment>

Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post

I've had a couple experiences of that kind which occured when I was an atheist. Their miraculous nature is only evident when viewed in hindsight and with the veil of unbelief removed.

I don't base my faith in these events although they are a nice confirmation of God's interest in me. By the same token, God could decide tomorrow to make me a quadriplegic for reasons known only to Him... so, I'm not really into recounting fantastic events as evidence of God's existence or His love for me. Non-believers won't be convinced by such stories, and I would hope that Christians would look at them askance as well.

PermaFrost
      Bingo!!! Amen!!!
      Comment>

I don't base my faith in these events although they are a nice confirmation of God's interest in me. By the same token, God could decide tomorrow to make me a quadriplegic for reasons known only to Him...
        From your response, I think you must be a devout believer. God can bless man, and can try man, too. No matter what He does, there is His will. As His children, we should obey Him. Just as Job, when he received God's blessings, he praised God. However, when he lost his property and his sons and daughters, he still could say the word “the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” Could you share with me your experience of converting to Christianity?
        Comment>

From your response, I think you must be a devout believer.
          Well...I don't know if I'm «devout». That very word has negative connotations for me! It conjures up images of monks chanting and lighting candles to the Virgin Mary. That isn't me but I'll take your words as a compliment. Thanks!

Could you share with me your experience of converting to Christianity?
          No, that isn't something I do. I don't really see the point of such stories. There are conversion stories in the Bible (Paul's is the most noteworthy) and these have the advantage of being canonical...!

Why do conversion stories interest you?

PermaFrost

Comment>

Some people do not have a conversion story at all, they have believed as far back as they can remember. People in Scripture like John the Baptist, and now-a-days like John MacArthur, and other Covenant children that were raised in a Christian Covenant household. Too much emphasis on Conversion stories leans on personal understanding rather than trusting in the Lord, and the stories mostly contend with the Glory of God. What story can an anchor proclaim when being drawn into a ship? I was a dead weight, incapable of doing anything for myself, before I knew it or could comprehend what God was doing it was already done, and then, I "accepted" God? Most Conversion stories belittle monergism and state how exactly one has "accepted" the Lord. An example, I was drowning out in the ocean and the Lord threw me a life preserver and had drawn me into the ship saving my life. Here's my conversion story, now listen to how I accepted the life preserver....

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
              What story can an anchor proclaim when being drawn into a ship?
              An anchor named Paul told the story of how he was drawn into a ship in Acts 22:3-21.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                An anchor named Paul told the story of how he was drawn into a ship in Acts 22:3-21.
                Most conversion stories I hear are of people interpreting experiences. Modern conversion stories differ from Paul's in the sense that his mission as well as prophetic call like Isaiah or Ezekiel were included. I guess I do need to ask what one means by conversion? Paul's account was not about converting from Judaism to Christianity. It was not about an emotional or psychological shift, or modern transition from a political party to another. Actually, I do not see much if any emphasis on a modern conversion in Paul's testimony.

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

Well...I don't know if I'm «devout». That very word has negative connotations for me! It conjures up images of monks chanting and lighting candles to the Virgin Mary. That isn't me but I'll take your words as a compliment. Thanks!

No, that isn't something I do. I don't really see the point of such stories. There are conversion stories in the Bible (Paul's is the most noteworthy) and these have the advantage of being canonical...!

Why do conversion stories interest you?

PermaFrost
                  I'm sorry. English is not my mother tongue, and I made a mistake again. I should spend more time in studying English. From sisters and brothers' conversion stories, I feel God's love and salvation. I'd like to share my conversion story. Before receiving the Lord, I lived a life full of emptiness and loneliness. I felt that it was meaningless to live. One day, my mother preached the Gospel of the Lord Jesus to me. I received the gospel happily. From then on, I often prayed, read the Bible, and had meetings with sisters and brothers . My feelings of emptiness and loneliness disappeared, and I was full of peace and joy. Now I know the meaning of life. As the Lord's child, I should follow Him forever.
                  Comment>

Give God the glory, sister!
                    Comment>

Now I know the meaning of life.
                      The Westminster of Confession has it:

Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?
                      A. Man’s chief end is to glorify God,[1] and to enjoy him forever.[2]

[1] Psalm 86. Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy. Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee. Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily. Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me. Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works. All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name. For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone. Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell. O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set thee before them. But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give thy strength unto thy servant, and save the son of thine handmaid. Show me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because thou, LORD, hast holpen me, and comforted me. Isaiah 60:21. Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified. Romans 11:36. For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen. 1 Corinthians 6:20, 10:31. For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.... Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Revelation 4:11. Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

[2] Psalm 16:5-11. The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot. The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage. I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons. I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 144:15. Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD. Isaiah 12:2. Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Luke 2:10. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. Philippians 4:4. Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Revelation 21:3-4. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

God bless,
                      William

Comment>

I'm sorry. English is not my mother tongue, and I made a mistake again. I should spend more time in studying English. From sisters and brothers' conversion stories, I feel God's love and salvation. I'd like to share my conversion story. Before receiving the Lord, I lived a life full of emptiness and loneliness. I felt that it was meaningless to live. One day, my mother preached the Gospel of the Lord Jesus to me. I received the gospel happily. From then on, I often prayed, read the Bible, and had meetings with sisters and brothers . My feelings of emptiness and loneliness disappeared, and I was full of peace and joy. Now I know the meaning of life. As the Lord's child, I should follow Him forever.
                        That's a very nice story, Jennifer. Thank you for writing it.

Your English is very good. What is your mother tongue? I'm just curious. (Mine is French.)

PermaFrost
                        Comment>

I'm new to the forum, and saw this thread, and thought I'd share. :) Last year at this time, I was an atheist. I had grown up in Christianity, but left the faith a few years ago, and eventually identified as an atheist. About six months ago, I had an amazing experience with what I would consider to be the Holy Spirit. I believe that it was Jesus revealing Himself to me, and I felt an intense physical change, and a joy that swept over me that I hadn't felt in a very long time, as an atheist. I instantly returned to the faith, and my life has been forever changed. I enjoy reading the Bible now, because I feel I'm relating to it now instead of just reading stories that felt boring and obligatory, before. Can't imagine ever leaving my faith again, I'm born again. Thank you for letting me share! :)
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Deidre View Post
                            I'm new to the forum, and saw this thread, and thought I'd share. :) Last year at this time, I was an atheist. I had grown up in Christianity, but left the faith a few years ago, and eventually identified as an atheist. About six months ago, I had an amazing experience with what I would consider to be the Holy Spirit. I believe that it was Jesus revealing Himself to me, and I felt an intense physical change, and a joy that swept over me that I hadn't felt in a very long time, as an atheist. I instantly returned to the faith, and my life has been forever changed. I enjoy reading the Bible now, because I feel I'm relating to it now instead of just reading stories that felt boring and obligatory, before. Can't imagine ever leaving my faith again, I'm born again. Thank you for letting me share! :)
                            Hi Deidre,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing!

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

Originally posted by Amadeus View Post
                              Give God the glory, sister!
                              All glory be to God.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap