Non-Christians suffer because God is justly dealing with sin. ... in Genesis 3; women will suffer in childbirth, and men will struggle in work all the ...

Former Non-Christian

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former Non-Christian

I stopped being a Christian during my teenage years. These were personally and emotionally challenging years for me and at that time, I sincerely thought God didn't love us or care about us. Also, being in a Christian school and not getting any kind of support added to the idea already forming in my too young head that "all Christians are hypocrites"

As I grew older and started drifting through all kinds of religious and cult-like ideologies (mostly New Age stuff). I never stopped feeling like I was missing something important in my life. Now that I'm coming back to Christianity, I realize that some of the biggest struggles a non-Christian can face are emotional turmoil and desolation. One never feels complete, or true love. It feels like nothing will ever make you happy. I'm glad I'm finding my faith again and though I'm not perfect, I'm trying to improve.

I just wanted to share my personal view about this topic with you, since it's a so close to me.

I can identify with what you are saying here, I remember going on that journey too. How disillusioned I became with everything my parents and other adult teachers from the church of my childhood. And how I felt they were all just hypocrits.

If they just believed and lived half of what they preach, then the world would not be in the mess it is!

So I left their faith and went in search of ....... well to be honest I had no idea of what! But I was going to find something better than that!

And like you and many young people I visited many other religions. And each one was flawed in some way. So I gave up on religion, I decided that it was all a human construct to fill a void with platitudes and control the masses.

Then life happened to me, or more exactly death visited us! My son died at just two days old and a new journey began for me. One of absolute despair and depression, but deep in that pit while contemplating my life I felt something reaching out to me, something that was outside of me trying to offer comfort and another way.

I later came to realise that that something was God's Spirit or one of His angels, but that experience combined with the coincidence of two of His people coming by to invite us to attend a nearby church led me back to a faith that has remained and grown in me for over 30 years now.

I notice you, like me speak of faith now compared to religion back then, and I truly believe that is a key part of this journey. We have to put away religion and find faith!

I am happy that you are finding faith.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Vyck
      I stopped being a Christian during my teenage years. These were personally and emotionally challenging years for me and at that time, I sincerely thought God didn't love us or care about us. Also, being in a Christian school and not getting any kind of support added to the idea already forming in my too young head that "all Christians are hypocrites"

As I grew older and started drifting through all kinds of religious and cult-like ideologies (mostly New Age stuff). I never stopped feeling like I was missing something important in my life. Now that I'm coming back to Christianity, I realize that some of the biggest struggles a non-Christian can face are emotional turmoil and desolation. One never feels complete, or true love. It feels like nothing will ever make you happy. I'm glad I'm finding my faith again and though I'm not perfect, I'm trying to improve.

I just wanted to share my personal view about this topic with you, since it's a so close to me.
      Glad you've rediscovered Christ. Only God can fill that God-shaped hole in our heart :)
      Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post

Glad you've rediscovered Christ. Only God can fill that God-shaped hole in our heart :)
        God-shaped hole in my heart... I love how that sounds. Thank you both very much for your words
        Comment>

Originally posted by Vyck View Post

How does it work that someone stops being a Christian? Is it something that can be stopped and started multiple times or put on hold?
          Comment>

Originally posted by Elda View Post

How does it work that someone stops being a Christian? Is it something that can be stopped and started multiple times or put on hold?
            I think there are reasons why someone may be "stunted" in the faith. I can think of a few different ways like factual doubts, emotional doubts, and volitional doubts. But I think John McArthur nails it. He writes:

Certainly true Christians can backslide, if by that you mean they can regress into a period of spiritual dullness or disobedience. Those who do so will bring God's discipline (Hebrews 12:6-11). That's because God disciplines those who are true sons (v. 8).

But no, if you are thinking of backsliding as a perpetual state of willful rebellion or ungodly indifference on the part of one who professes faith in Christ. That situation is a sign of false profession (Matthew 7:21-23; 1 John 3:4-10).

The word backsliding is used two ways in Scripture. It is found only in Old Testament references to the nation of Israel (Jeremiah 3:22; 31:22; 49:4; Hosea 4:16; 11:7; 14:4, KJV).
            • Sometimes it speaks of backsliding as the action of unregenerate people who turn stubbornly away from God (cf. Jeremiah 8:5). In that sense the Word cannot be used to describe true Christians.
            • Other times true believers are said to backslide (Jeremiah 14:7). All believers go through times when they do not grow or are set back in their growth by sin--they seem to be sliding backwards like a calf on a muddy slope (cf. Hosea 4:16, KJV). In that sense the word could apply to true believers.
            First, I know this may be controversial but the term Christian to me means follower of Christ. A disciple, for example was a learner that followed Christ. Judas was a disciple, and today I would have no issue calling him a Christian. Point being, I think a lot of new converts or disciples are Christian but may not exhibit the fruits of genuine regeneration. It is quite different to be Christian and a born again Christian. In today's context, I think a Christian can be someone learning about Christ and trying to follow His precepts but lacks faith or true belief. I give up trying to figure out who is or is not a genuine Christian.

While I do not believe a saved Christian can lose salvation, I do recognize apostasy. I mean 1 Corinthians 5 deals with unrepentant Christians so that they may be handed over to Satan. This is not to say that genuine Christians do not sin, but I do suggest that the saints shall persevere to the last day.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap