Here is the one book to ask mainline Protestants everything you have always wanted to know...

Shall i convert myself to a Christ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shall i convert myself to a Christ?

Hi,
    I'm a jew from Israel. 26 yrs old student. from a little age, I had some respect for jesus statues. I looked at it with adore. As I got older and time got harder, my faith in Jewish decreased, and I got more interest in Christ. I got major problem with female, and I broke up with woman that I loved, putting myself in hard situation and I lost all of my friends except one sick friend, which may going to die anyway.

I don't give a damm about Jewish god and rules- I eat pigs and mix milk with meat. I hate god for putting me in these situation, and can never forgive him. Christ seems to me a good religion. but what's the point- Christ's god is the Jewish god as well right? and I hate him, so basiclly I can't convert into Christ?

Originally posted by Roie S View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a jew from Israel. 26 yrs old student. from a little age, I had some respect for jesus statues. I looked at it with adore. As I got older and time got harder, my faith in Jewish decreased, and I got more interest in Christ. I got major problem with female, and I broke up with woman that I loved, putting myself in hard situation and I lost all of my friends except one sick friend, which may going to die anyway.

I don't give a damm about Jewish god and rules- I eat pigs and mix milk with meat. I hate god for putting me in these situation, and can never forgive him. Christ seems to me a good religion. but what's the point- Christ's god is the Jewish god as well right? and I hate him, so basiclly I can't convert into Christ?
    Hi Roie S,

Welcome to CF.org. Lemme begin by saying, becoming a follower of Christ will not make your life any easier. A genuine conversion comes after Regeneration. If you sincerely believe that God exists, that His Word - the Bible is True, and Jesus is who He says He is, then I welcome you to at least serious inquiry. Through Regeneration, one has the desire for God put into their heart. A desire that was not there previously, a desire that draws you to Himself through the Son Jesus Christ. A heart of stone is removed and a heart of flesh is replaced, a heart capable and enabled for bearing fruit that is both receptive and obedient to the Word of God. Right now, you may find following the Word of God legalistic, tiresome, burdensome etc., but with a regenerated heart, a desire is born to please God. What was impossible for you before, will become your new nature.

I can also relate to what you're sharing, but may I suggest that you do not really hate the True God, but only the misconceptions and traditions of men projected upon Him?

Converting to Christianity is not about changing religions, but about placing your faith in Jesus Christ. In the New Testament, Jesus clearly provided an answer for those who sought to come to faith in Him. On one occasion, He spoke with a religious teacher about being born again (Regeneration). When this man asked what Jesus meant, part of His answer included John 3:16, which reads, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

I suggest putting aside as much as possible your ill feelings at this time, receive God by opening your heart and mind, and letting the Word of God pierce your deepest marrow - Hebrews 4:12. Remember our purpose here in life, we are here to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever. I sincerely welcome and encourage you to participate and engage with others. If you're truly regenerate, God has already began a good work in you and will finish it, bringing you into completion. And while I can understand your displeasure when life's ways turn in a direction that we find non beneficial for ourselves, remember Isaiah 55:8-9 - "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

I hope to see you around, learn from you, and build a mutual relationship through fellowship here in the forum. Perhaps when the time is right, you can share your life experience living in Israel? Israel is a country I have on my list of places to visit one day.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I believe the God of Abraham is the Christian God. I don't agree that the Christian God is the same as the Jewish god. See John 8:42, Hosea 1:9 etc. To reject the Messiah that Abraham waited for is to reject God.
      Last edited by Cornelius; 11-14-2015, 01:58 AM.
      Comment>

The fact that you are interested in Jesus is a good sign. While I understand your dislike of various rules and teaching in Judaism, it is necessary that we not put the Tanakh under the same category. The Tanakh is a sacred divine literature but to see a complete picture of who the true God is and his plan to save sinful humanity we need to read and interpret it with the New Testament (Berith Hadashah - The New Covenant) which is also a sacred divine literature equally authoritative to the Tanakh. It is unfortunate that the errors of Judaism come from improper reading of the Tanakh and part of this unfortunate situation is caused by the refusal to incorporate the New Testament to interpret the content of the Tanakh. If I were to summarize what God conveys from both the Tanakh and the New Testament, it consists mainly of the following:

1. God created everything good. Man and woman are created in his image to reflect his creativity and righteousness as God's stewards to take care of the rest of creation by exercising dominion over it (Genesis - Bereshit 1).

2. Adam and Eve's disobedience, their refusal to submit themselves under God's lordship out of a desire to be their own gods expressed in their disobedience to God's command not to eat the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil brings a fatal curse upon their posterity (Gen 3). As a result all their descendants not only experience physical death but most importantly spiritual death that Romans 1:18-32, Ephesians 2:1-3 and Romans 8:7 elaborate more clearly. In summary, the curse resulting from this obedience put all their posterity under the slavery of sin and under God's wrath.

3. The rest of the Tanakh beginning with the call of Abraham, the creation of Israel, the Exodus, the giving of the Law. the legal, ceremonial and civil regulations, the entrance to Canaan, the establishment of the Davidic kingdom, the Exile and Israel's return from it and the prophecies all point to God's actual plan to rescue humanity from this curse bringing restoration of fallen humanity to a state more glorious than the original state Adam and Eve were. So none of the Tanakh ought to be discarded. They do need to be interpreted properly and the way to interpret Tanakh properly is to do so by incorporating the New Testament, the fulfillment of what the Tanakh points to through its symbolism, typology and prophecy.

4. The fulfillment of God's plan to rescue, restore humanity and to reconcile it to himself is centered around the sending of his Son Jesus Christ, the Second Person in the Holy Trinity (God in Three Persons: Father Son and the Holy Spirit - discussed in for example, the Gospel of John), his death and resurrection. This plan is accomplished when Jesus died on the cross and rose again. The meaning of his death is that by dying on the cross Jesus bore the punishment of the sins of those who trust in him so that they are forgiven and declared righteous by God not only because their sins have been transferred to Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21) but also his life of perfect obedience to God, this record of flawless life is also transferred to us who believe in him according to the Gospel (Philippians 3:9). This is the meat of the New Testament.

5. Although on-paper, those who believe in Jesus (Christians) are saved from sin and God's condemnation, the fullness of the salvation that God promises will be fully realized when Jesus comes again to reign as King and Lord throughout eternity (this is spoken of in for example 1 and 2 Thessalonians but primarily in Revelation).

I'm going to send you my email address in case you have questions that you would like to discuss further. Meanwhile may I suggest that you review Genesis 1-3, then start prayerfully reading the New Testament beginning with Romans 1-2, then continue with 3-8. I would be happy to discuss via Skype too if you like.
        Comment>

I read all of what you have written. I know converting won't resolve my issues in life. But maybe I'll feel better praying to other god?
          But I still think that christ God is the same as Jewish god. Google "diffrence between Judaism and Christianity". You'll find the only major one is that Judaism refuse to recognize Jesus as the Masseiah. So in case Christ is the true faith, Jews of course made a mistake by that. But it is still doesn't mean that their God now is seperate or diffrent. Christ and Jews pay to the same God. I see things much more simplier. You got to agree with me on that. This is important thing for me.
          Comment>

Some of my favorite hymns are those about Heaven. It is hope in Christ I focus, and the problems of this world fade away.

Jesus didn't allow room for someone to reject him and yet belong to the Father. That's not politically correct to say, not even in many Christian circles, but following Christ calls for honesty and boldness. A religion's position on Jesus is all the difference. If you want to follow the religion of Abraham, following Jesus is it. Luke 16:30-31.
            Comment>

But I still think that christ God is the same as Jewish god. Google "diffrence between Judaism and Christianity". You'll find the only major one is that Judaism refuse to recognize Jesus as the Masseiah.
              Thank you for bringing your heart-felt questions to this Forum, Roie. You are within a group of Christian believers who are educated in God's Word, and who apply this education to their personal lives. There is a huge difference between a "cultural Christian", which is the type of information you'll find from a Google search, and a "Bible-believing, Biblically-influenced, seeker of truth" who turns to the Bible to learn from God Himself.

I pray that you will stay engaged within this forum, as well as engage with Birdey outside of this Forum, and any others from this site who offer themselves.
              Comment>

Roie S, there is a huge difference between worshipping the Father through Jesus, which is the only way we can worship Him, and worshipping the god of Judaism, which as you said rejects the Messiah. That is a huge thing. Read Isaiah 53 and you will see the Messiah. Read the New Testament (Covenant) and you will see the Messiah. In Revelation, Jesus said that the Jews who reject him and continue in their rejection state worship in the synagogues of Satan. There really is no such thing as Judaeo-Christian, as one is either a Christian or they are a non-believer.

John 10:25-30 - “25 Jesus answered them, ‘I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father’s name, they bear witness of me. 26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and my Father are one.’”

John 8:41-47 - 41 "Ye do the deeds of your father.’ Then said they to him, ‘We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.’ 42 Jesus said unto them, ‘If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. 43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.’"

John 6:44-47 - “44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. 46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father. 47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.”

I hope these show you that worshiping God through Jesus Christ is an unique life and is life. Are you being drawn by the Father? Only you know, or can know by believing in and knowing the Scriptures.
                Comment>

The God of Judaism and Christianity are the same being, the I AM, the God of Abraham, but the difference between Judaism and Christianity goes far beyond the Jews rejecting Jesus as the messiah. Jews for the most part study their own teachings rather than the word of God itself. They tend to study what men say about their bible rather than the bible.

A true Christian should take the bible as the final authority.

To gain a better understanding perhaps you should read where jesus is complaining about the scribes and the pharacies, where they are following the letter of the law but not the intent. How they were sure to tithe even spices and herbs but would take away widows houses, for example.

In one way they are different God's because the way Judaism paints God is not the true God. The true God wants us to love God and love our neighbor (everyone) as ourselves.

There is nothing to be hated about the Christian God for as we are told all things work together for good for them that love God.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Serpardum View Post
                    The God of Judaism and Christianity are the same being, the I AM, the God of Abraham, but the difference between Judaism and Christianity goes far beyond the Jews rejecting Jesus as the messiah.
                    Welcome Serpardum!

Is the God of Judaism Triune?

God bless,
                    William
                    Comment>

Hi Serpardum, I see you are new here, so WELCOME TO CF :)

Yours in Christ,
                      David
                      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Is the God of Judaism Triune?
                        God said let us make man in our image. Who is this us He is talking about? This is in the old testament, the Jewish bible.

Christians are caught up in the trinity but truth be told God has many aspects. We are told in Revelation about the seven spirits of God before the throne. So in that one scene there's God on the throne, the lamb on his right (Jesus) and there's still the holy spirit. That's 9 right there, ten with the holy spirit, unless it's part of the seven.

I honestly don't know enough about Judaism to know what they teach, but it is probably not brought up much except to deny Christ.
                        Last edited by Serpardum; 07-31-2016, 06:19 AM. Reason: many typos and auto discorrects
                        Comment>

There are basically three viable interpretations for the "seven spirits."

(1) The phrase "spirit of" may be used to refer to certain qualities. For example: "spirit of gentleness (1 Cor. 4.21), "spirit of slavery" (Rom. 8:4) etc. John may be referencing Is. 11:2-3 in the LXX.

The Spirit of God shall rest upon Him, the Spirit of [1]wisdom and [2]understanding, the Spirit of [3]counsel and [4]might, the Spirit of [5]knowledge and [6]godliness. The Spirit of the [7]fear of God shall fill Him.
                          (2) Closely related to option (1) is the view that the seven spirits of God is a reference to the Holy Spirit. The number seven being symbolic of completeness is John's way of representing the Holy Spirit in its fullness. Also note that that early interpreters took it to mean the Holy Spirit. This would tie in nicely with the seven qualities mentioned in the first option.

(3) The last option understands the seven spirits as the seven angels of God (i.e. Rev. 8:2, 6; 15:1, 6; 16:1; 17:1 21:9). There is a great deal of evidence to recommend this view.
                          Last edited by Origen; 12-25-2016, 07:46 AM.
                          Comment>

The Jewish faith does not view God as Triune but rather as very similar to what Christians believe as 'God the Father'. The Jewish concept of God is that of Creator of the universe who has made a special covenant with the Jewish people. There is not a conception of 'God the Son' and 'God the Spirit' in the Jewish faith as, historically, Jews have looked towards a Messiah similar but more powerful than King David who will come from the lineage of David to usher in an era of peace, the restoration of the temple and the rise of Israel as a great nation.
                            Comment>

The problem in Israel is that the Jewish people do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah that God Promised them. And Jesus is that Messiah, this is not good at all. Cause if the Jewish people are still waiting for that Messiah then they could mistake the AntiChrist for that Messiah when he preforms the false miracles. I pray two times daily and pray that the Jewish people accept Jesus. A matter a fact in America there are Jews for Jesus and their goals are to get the Jews of Israel to accept Christ.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap