Here is the one book to ask mainline Protestants everything you have always wanted to know...

Awakening

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awakening

Buddhism explains about awakening. Actually, awakening is the main motive of Buddhism. In Hinduism, there is a similar concept. As a practicing Christian, I don't seem to find this concept in Christianity. In Christianity there is a word "enlightenment" which sounds similar to awakening. can any explain me what is enlightenment?

Originally posted by luri View Post
    In Christianity there is a word "enlightenment" which sounds similar to awakening. can any explain me what is enlightenment?
    Could you give us some information on the context in which you found this word? Also, what translation of the Bible are you using? The word enlightenment doesn't even appear in the English Standard Version.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Hi Luri, while there are parallels that can be drawn between Christianity and Buddhism, in the end, Buddhism and Christianity are hardly harmonizable (which is exactly what the Dalai Lama said .. when pressed .. at an ecumenical counsel of world religions about 15 yrs ago).

Also, most of us are not "up" on the Eastern concepts of either "Awakening" or "Enlightenment", so it would probably be helpful for you to give us your understanding of each (so that we can compare and contrast those two concepts with Christianity).

(Here are a couple of web page descriptions I found that I hope may be useful: Awakening and Enlightenment).

The biggest, general similarity I can see is that a profound change is said to occur by the adherents of both religions. In Buddhism they speak of Awakening, Enlightenment, the Noble Path, etc., and in Christianity, we speak of regeneration, being born again, justification, sanctification, glorification, etc. (though I am afraid you will find that the differences in the two religions far outweigh the similarities, even in the areas that perhaps "appear" to be similar at first blush).

Here is a small, incomplete list of Christian verses/passages that may be useful in helping to find those similarities and differences:

Ezekiel 36
      25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols.
      26 Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
      27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.
      28 You will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will be My people, and I will be your God.

John 3
      3 Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 2
      12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
      13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
      16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

2 Corinthians 5
      17 If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Ephesians 2
      1 You were dead in your trespasses and sins,
      2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
      3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
      4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
      5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
      6 and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
      7 so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
      8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
      9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
      10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Titus 3
      5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy.

In Christ,
      David
      p.s. - some Biblical examples of "enlighten" can be found here: BibleGateway - : Enlighten The word "enlightenment" does appear, but only in the "Amplified", NET, RSV, NRSV, Lexham translations, and that only 1-3 times in each (and that in replacement of/in addition to words such as "lighteth" or "knowledge", etc.).
      Last edited by David Lee; 06-08-2017, 01:10 PM.
      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>

Hi again luri, while you're at it, please tell us a little bit about the Hindu version of the Awakening, and how it is both different and similar to the Buddhist version (so we can compare/contrast that with Christianity as well).

--David
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap