Here is the one book to ask mainline Protestants everything you have always wanted to know...

Free will vs divine intervention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free will vs divine intervention

Do you think human beings have free will or everything is under God's control? Are we living a pre-planed life ( a life as planned by God) or we are living in our own?

Whatsoever comes to pass is foreordained by God.

We are morally responsible for our actions insofar as nobody is holding a gun to our heads, and threatening to pull the trigger, if we don't do X.

In the gospels, Jesus makes this comment in relation to Judas Iscariot:

"And truly the Son of man goeth, as it was determined [by God]: but woe unto that man by whom he is betrayed!"
    Comment>

Originally posted by luri View Post
      Do you think human beings have free will or everything is under God's control? Are we living a pre-planed life ( a life as planned by God) or we are living in our own?
      Hi Luri, all things are under God's sovereign control. However, His ordination does not mean that He is the "cause" of everything that happens, because "everything" includes things like sin/moral evil. In fact, we know that He doesn't even tempt us .. e.g. James 1:13-15, much less cause us to sin. So His ordination includes things that He "causes" to happen, and things that He "allows" to happen (and things that He doesn't allow, of course ;)), so that in all things, He is sovereign .. cf Isaiah 46:9-10. There are no Maverick Molecules running around the Universe that are beyond the scope of His ordination & control .. cf Psalm 139.

Yours and His,
      David
      p.s. - God does not tempt or cause us to sin, instead, He provides us with a way of escape from our temptations :)

1 Corinthians 10
      13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>

David, thank you very much for comprehensive answer. Based on your explanation, here is my understanding. Every thing is under God's control, for example it is God who decides whom we marry, but God has nothing to do when the husbands hits the wife. Am I right?
        Comment>

Hi Luri, I'm pretty sure who we marry is up to us as well, though all of our choices, be they sinful or not, fall under God's ordination (approval). That is not to say that God may not be instrumental in who we choose to marry, or that He does not intervene directly if He chooses to (He is God, after all). The overall point I was trying to make is that God is sovereign over all (even over the smallest, most insignificant things in the universe), though He exercises His sovereignty over His Creation in various ways.

To the point of the husband sinning by hitting his wife, yes, God "allows" such things, but He does not "cause" of such things.

Yours and His,
          David
          Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap