Here is the one book to ask mainline Protestants everything you have always wanted to know...

True Christian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Christian

When ever someone talks about "true Christian" it leaves me confused. What do you mean by true Christian, what's it like to become a true Christian. What are some of the things that a person has to do in order to become a true Christian.
    I don't go to the church regularly, I don't pray regularly, however, I have deep faith in the Lord. I am always ready to help the poors, I donate to the Church. Am I a true Christian?

Me too. Is there a definition for being a true Christian? All I know is, to be Christian is to be Christ-like, to be like Jesus.
    Comment>

A true Christian is known as practicing Christian. A person acts upon the orders of God and serves the humanity. Every religion is based on humanity and love for mankind. If you want to be a true Christian then you would have to be a good person and a good human being. Obviously, you are a true Christian.
      Comment>

A Christian is someone who has repented of his sins and put his trust in Jesus Christ. Such a person will have a desire to obey Jesus and to have fellowship with other Christians. Unfortunately it is possible for someone to go through the outward actions of Christianity without having received eternal life by repenting of his sins. There was a time when I was in this condition. I was raised believing that the Bible is the word of God. I have gone to church all of my life. When I was 14 years old I got baptized and became a member of a church.

Outwardly I lived like a Christian and I thought I was one, but I had failed to take the one step that would have actually made me a Christian. I understood that the death of Jesus was somehow necessary but I didn't realize that he died specifically for my sins and that I had to put my faith in him so I could be forgiven. When I finally understood this truth and acted on it I became a true Christian. Before I was just a hypocrite and if I had died I would have been condemned to spend eternity in Hell.

If you are concerned about whether you are really a Christian I suggest that you carefully read 1 John and see how closely your life conforms to what is written in it. John's purpose in writing the letter was to prove to believers that they had eternal life,

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 John 5:13)

It can also show you if you lack eternal life.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
          A Christian is someone who has repented of his sins and put his trust in Jesus Christ. Such a person will have a desire to obey Jesus and to have fellowship with other Christians. Unfortunately it is possible for someone to go through the outward actions of Christianity without having received eternal life by repenting of his sins. There was a time when I was in this condition. I was raised believing that the Bible is the word of God. I have gone to church all of my life. When I was 14 years old I got baptized and became a member of a church.

Outwardly I lived like a Christian and I thought I was one, but I had failed to take the one step that would have actually made me a Christian. I understood that the death of Jesus was somehow necessary but I didn't realize that he died specifically for my sins and that I had to put my faith in him so I could be forgiven. When I finally understood this truth and acted on it I became a true Christian. Before I was just a hypocrite and if I had died I would have been condemned to spend eternity in Hell.

If you are concerned about whether you are really a Christian I suggest that you carefully read 1 John and see how closely your life conforms to what is written in it. John's purpose in writing the letter was to prove to believers that they had eternal life,

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 John 5:13)

It can also show you if you lack eternal life.
          Very nice response, Theo.

However, I just want to emphasize that our obedience is the result from the grace of regeneration:

Ezekiel 36:25-27
          • 25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

This is not to say that we do not need to apply ourselves, but that the Holy Spirit is the one that "moves" us to follow God's decrees and to be careful to keep His laws. This is the difference between being animated by soul, the carnal flesh and our sin nature vs being animated by the Spirit.
          • Rom 8:10-1110 But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life[a] because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of[b] his Spirit who lives in you.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

My definition of a Christian would be somebody who can assent to at least the Apostle's Creed, and preferably the Nicene Creed.

"Heretic" is not a label which should be freely thrown around, but there have to be limits; otherwise an atheist could count as a Christian.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap