We encourage new members to post a short introduction of themselves in this Christian forum category. Get to know each other and share your common interests or tell us what church you go to etc.

Hi. My name is Jim.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi. My name is Jim.

I look forward to some good fellowship here. We are relatively new to our geographical location and still seeking a church family so maybe this site will help till fruition of face-to-face, hand-to-hand, and hug-to-hug fellowship occurs. It is hard, VERY hard these days to find a FULL Bible-preaching church which hasn't fallen down into the prosperity and/or grace-centered (void of the words sin, hell, and repent or Ro 6:1 or the phrases and contextual understanding of "go and sin no more"/ "be ye perfect even as...") pits or has colluded itself with worldly political correctness or contaminated itself with the new age or other pagan religious doctrines.

Hello Jim,

I definitely agree with you. Don't know whether you have checked out the Orthodox Presbyterian Church or Presbyterian Church of America, but those official sites have a locator to track down one nearby. Happy you have joined us and I look forward to fellowship.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Welcome to the forum. I pray that God will guide you to the church he wants you to attend.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Thank you guys. Time is short right now. I think the late great Dr. James Kennedy was Presbyterian. I will check it out. Thanks.
        Comment>

By the way, I am non-(even anti to some degree) denominational. If it weren't for a real painful political/abuse of power experience we had with a non-denominational, independent Bible church, I'd still be fully against denominations, but I can see now why a local church needs to be under the authority of some type of monitoring/governing unit where things down at the local level can be regularly monitored and of which the local church is accountable. Of course, the rule book should be the Bible and as our Christian forefathers devised for our country, there should be equal accountability or a system of checks and balances with the "Constitution" being the Bible. No one in the church will ever reach a permanence of perfection or sinlessness, or ever will be while in this flesh, so corruption will always remain a possibility and another regional/national monitor, as much of a pain it is, really is required: IMO. Our experience, which ultimately ended up destroying and splitting a church was effected by an ultra overly protective Sunday school superintendent lying about and setting up any youth leader/teacher who had to discipline his very mean and abusive (to his peers in class) child and eventually succeeding in driving them out of the church which even included the Pastor's daughter and son-in-law. I was one of those. The pastor refused to consider the seriousness of what was going on and didn't want to deal with it. The perpetrator also being on the board represented the board and told me that the matter had been brought up to the board and THEY had decided to impose a sanction upon me, without even letting me know there had been a problem. While I was trying to work this out with the Pastor the Assistant Pastor left and he informed me that the board had NEVER been aware or involved with the sanction placed upon me by the Sunday school Super. After I left, I visited one of the board members and he explained to me in tears that he believed that the perpetrator was allowed such latitude in that church by the administration because of his significant monetary support. So I have seen how just one person can influence/destroy a whole church and how going to the church administration can do NO good. If I had had a higher governing authority to take a complaint to much, much pain and sorrow and a church split and the destruction of an excellent expounder of God's Word would mot likely have been avoided and we wouldn't be still struggling with becoming deeply involved, participating members of a church today 20 yrs later. After what my son (in adolescence then) observed going on there he stopped going to church, unless I forced him and I knew better than to do that to my adolescent child. I will answer for this but for what that man did and the church administration who allowed it occur to a body of Christ I hope they all suffer. I know many of us victims decades later still are. You and your wife give 7 yrs of faithful multiple services (youth, AWANA, Sunday School, nursery, music: (solos-vocal and instrumental and choir), a full 10% tithes which truly hurt but we gave thankfully for what we had, and help out whenever you can and get kicked in the head for a thanks.

IMO: every local church needs another entity in this world of which to be accountable otherwise the above scenario is or the like is much, much more possible. The relationship of this arrangement should be more of a democratic system with a checks and balances as opposed to an isolated and ultimate authority. That position is reserved exclusively for God: the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
          Last edited by Jim2:8-9; 10-10-2015, 08:58 AM. Reason: Mispelled word.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Jim2:8-9 View Post
            IMO: every local church needs another entity in this world of which to be accountable otherwise the above scenario is or the like is much, much more possible. The relationship of this arrangement should be more of a democratic system with a checks and balances as opposed to an isolated and ultimate authority. That position is reserved exclusively for God: the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
            Hello Jim,

Sorry to hear about your experience. The checks and balances of American Government were actually modeled after Presbyterianism. Here's a brief write up on Presbyterianism (post #3): What is Presbyterianism?

I think the late great Dr. James Kennedy was Presbyterian. I will check it out. Thanks.
            He was, and I am uncertain which he belonged to. Stay away from the PCUSA (liberal), and look for PCA or OPC (conservative) churches. If you like Dr James Kennedy and would enjoy learning more about the Presbyterian denomination here's a great starter video series: Amazing Grace - The History and Theology of Calvinism

God bless, Jim
            William
            Comment>

There are only two in my area (Muskegon, MI): Grace Bible Church (labeled as Presbyterian-Bible by YPages) and First Presbyterian (labeled as Presbyterian-USA). It sounds like the later is the liberal one you were talking about-it has two in the area under same name. The other I don't know. I will see if they have a site online which is indicative of a church utilizing most efficient means of getting the word out to its members/prospective members and the Word out. If a church isn't online I don't go any further on checking them out. Computers are like guns: they are NOT inherently evil. It is the user who determines its use: either for good or evil. IMO it is a good to defend against deadly force with a gun or anything which can be used as a weapon.
              Comment>

No online site for Grace Bible (one came up but it was for a church out in New England: VT) and when I called office rang and rang then hung up: didn't care to take messages or even leave one; defunct, doesn't care to communicate or reach out. I HAVE to go! Back later. Looks like D Jeremiah and A. and C. Stanley and M Youseff (and Kennedy classics maybe as they only show a sermon piece) will have my audience again on Sunday morn.
                Comment>

Greetings in Christ,Jim: I'm jumping in late,(as usual)-Are U looking 4 other believers 2 worship with ? A home Church ? Agree/w UR views about comps. being like guns. Maybe they're more like a hammer, U can build a Temple or bash someone in the head. (trivia note from Christian radio) More people get killed by hammers than lightning,skiing accidents. or large knives. I'm old; I tend 2 ramble. Nice 2 have U on board. PAX...marty
                  Comment>

By the way, I am non-(even anti to some degree) denominational. If it weren't for a real painful political/abuse of power experience we had with a non-denominational, independent Bible church, I'd still be fully against denominations, but I can see now why a local church needs to be under the authority of some type of monitoring/governing unit where things down at the local level can be regularly monitored and of which the local church is accountable. Of course, the rule book should be the Bible and as our Christian forefathers devised for our country, there should be equal accountability or a system of checks and balances with the "Constitution" being the Bible. No one in the church will ever reach a permanence of perfection or sinlessness, or ever will be while in this flesh, so corruption will always remain a possibility and another regional/national monitor, as much of a pain it is, really is required: IMO. Our experience, which ultimately ended up destroying and splitting a church was effected by an ultra overly protective Sunday school superintendent lying about and setting up any youth leader/teacher who had to discipline his very mean and abusive (to his peers in class) child and eventually succeeding in driving them out of the church which even included the Pastor's daughter and son-in-law. I was one of those. The pastor refused to consider the seriousness of what was going on and didn't want to deal with it. The perpetrator also being on the board represented the board and told me that the matter had been brought up to the board and THEY had decided to impose a sanction upon me, without even letting me know there had been a problem. While I was trying to work this out with the Pastor the Assistant Pastor left and he informed me that the board had NEVER been aware or involved with the sanction placed upon me by the Sunday school Super. After I left, I visited one of the board members and he explained to me in tears that he believed that the perpetrator was allowed such latitude in that church by the administration because of his significant monetary support. So I have seen how just one person can influence/destroy a whole church and how going to the church administration can do NO good. If I had had a higher governing authority to take a complaint to much, much pain and sorrow and a church split and the destruction of an excellent expounder of God's Word would mot likely have been avoided and we wouldn't be still struggling with becoming deeply involved, participating members of a church today 20 yrs later. After what my son (in adolescence then) observed going on there he stopped going to church, unless I forced him and I knew better than to do that to my adolescent child. I will answer for this but for what that man did and the church administration who allowed it occur to a body of Christ I hope they all suffer. I know many of us victims decades later still are. You and your wife give 7 yrs of faithful multiple services (youth, AWANA, Sunday School, nursery, music: (solos-vocal and instrumental and choir), a full 10% tithes which truly hurt but we gave thankfully for what we had, and help out whenever you can and get kicked in the head for a thanks.

Hi ! Couzin' We all got horror stories abt. the 1st. Church of the "because I say so". Logic says if people try so hard 2/B pretend Christians; ergo, there gotta B?real ones somewhere.. PAX marty
                    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Hello Jim,

Sorry to hear about your experience. The checks and balances of American Government were actually modeled after Presbyterianism. Here's a brief write up on Presbyterianism (post #3): What is Presbyterianism?

He was, and I am uncertain which he belonged to. Stay away from the PCUSA (liberal), and look for PCA or OPC (conservative) churches. If you like Dr James Kennedy and would enjoy learning more about the Presbyterian denomination here's a great starter video series: Amazing Grace - The History and Theology of Calvinism

God bless, Jim
                      William
                      Elder Will; Is there anything U don't got the facts on ?? I coulda saved $ thousands on tuition & skipped the homework & chewed fingernails & just logged-in 2 your daily infobytes. Pax;! pal ! marty
                      Comment>

Originally posted by pastor marty View Post
                        Elder Will; Is there anything U don't got the facts on ?? I coulda saved $ thousands on tuition & skipped the homework & chewed fingernails & just logged-in 2 your daily infobytes. Pax;! pal ! marty
                        You're too kind, Pastor Marty!

God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

Bro. Will; Let me state, any kind words that I have ever said were reserved 4 kidz & weeping women. I'm brutally fact orientated.Ever known a biker 2 prevaricate ? (w/a grin) :cool: marty
                          Comment>

a FULL Bible-preaching church
                            I think "full" might be a code word for Pentecostal. One way Pentecostals like to distinguish themselves from others is to call themselves FULL gospel.

Denomination (in order of decreasing divorce rate)
                            % who have been divorced

Non-denominational ** 34%
                            Baptists 29%
                            Mainline Protestants 25%
                            Mormons 24%
                            Catholics 21%
                            Lutherans 21%
                            ** Barna uses the term "non-denominational" to refer to Evangelical Christian congregations that are not affiliated with a specific denomination. The vast majority are fundamentalist in their theological beliefs. More info.
                            I've already ripped on non-denominational churches. Here's another black eye for them, their members have essentially the highest divorce rate on the planet. The actual divorce rate is about twice the quoted numbers, because those numbers report who are already divorced, not who will eventually divorce. In a room of an average non-denominational church, a third of the people are divorced. And, another third will become divorced.
                            Comment>

Bro. Cornelius; Greetings in Christ & peace B/upon U. I was yer 1 & only 'LIKE' (per this page).It's tuff 2B an umpire, 'Ya gotta call 'em like ya sees 'em' My recent rant on the USA being the new Roman empire / & U just stated facts which prove my condemnations on bad/conduct were valid...THANKYOU....marty
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap