We encourage new members to post a short introduction of themselves in this Christian forum category. Get to know each other and share your common interests or tell us what church you go to etc.

Lapsed Christian looking to discuss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lapsed Christian looking to discuss

Hi everyone. I was raised a Christian, but over the years I've drifted away from religion, hardly being involved in the past few years. A lot of the central morality of Christianity still appeals to me, and some of the most generous and selfless people I've met doing charity work are motivated by their Christian faith, so I've been thinking about going back to my roots.

I was raised (baptised and confirmed) as a Catholic, but I have some issues with the Catholic Church as an institution. I'm not clear on how Catholicism and Protestantism differ theologically, so it'd be useful to learn a few things in that regard as well.

See you around on the boards soon!

Hi C&C, WELCOME TO CF :)

I'm glad you found us and I hope we can be a part of helping you find what you're looking for.

I'm happy to know that you're trying to find your way back to the Christian faith. The great news is, He never left you, so like the father of the "prodigal son", our Father is always waiting to receive us back with open arms :)

I'll look for you when I return this afternoon. Have you started going to church again, or are you trying to gather more information first? You know the RCC (and a few of us here do too), so along with answering your questions about the Protestant faith, we should be able to do a pretty good job helping you compare and contrast the two of them as well.

Talk to you soon (Dv)

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26; Jude 24-25)

--David

"He who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me,
    has eternal life, & does not come into judgment,
    but has passed out of death into life"

John 5:24​

Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Welcome Conflicted&Confused
      Comment>

Welcome, Conflicted&Confused. I noticed that you stated a desire to return was because of the people who are generous and selfless so does that mean that you are also interested in a Savior as well since He has done a lot more for you in the way of generosity and selflesssness?
        Comment>

Welcome to the forums!
          Comment>

Good Morning, C&C! Our walk with Christ is most definitely a circuitous journey, at least from our natural perspective. Often the Lord has used the down-times in life or the challenges, the doubts and confusion to bring me into greater awareness of Him as revealed in Scripture. Become a student of His Word, and He will provide you with a foundation for belief and for understanding the nature of God revealed to us in Jesus Christ. As a secondary resource, though in no way on par with Scripture, you may want to read Eugene Peterson's book, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. May you enjoy the richness of the grace, wisdom and peace found in returning to our Father!
            Comment>

Originally posted by Jferrante View Post
              Good Morning, C&C! Our walk with Christ is most definitely a circuitous journey, at least from our natural perspective. Often the Lord has used the down-times in life or the challenges, the doubts and confusion to bring me into greater awareness of Him as revealed in Scripture. Become a student of His Word, and He will provide you with a foundation for belief and for understanding the nature of God revealed to us in Jesus Christ. As a secondary resource, though in no way on par with Scripture, you may want to read Eugene Peterson's book, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. May you enjoy the richness of the grace, wisdom and peace found in returning to our Father!
              Good morning Jack! Happy to see you posting, I believe you are a treasure chest of Godly information.

God bless,
              William
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap