We encourage new members to post a short introduction of themselves in this Christian forum category. Get to know each other and share your common interests or tell us what church you go to etc.

Exploring Christianity.. Never been to church, kind of feeling lost in life.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploring Christianity.. Never been to church, kind of feeling lost in life.

Hi everyone,
    I'm from Canada.I've never been to church. I am planning to visit a local church in the near future. It seems like a large church with lots of resources. It hosts different groups and programs, and it's very welcoming towards newcomers. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for in a church yet.

I'm nervous but yet excited about going. Nervous because I will probably have to go alone, and I'm shy around new people. I don't know what to expect. I'm excited because I think that it could help me make a positive change in myself. I feel lost and depressed a lot of the time. I was diagnosed with chronic depression and anxiety and I have thoughts of suicide often. I think that this is a sign that I can't keep living this way, without God. I've felt so lost and without a purpose, without any goal or specific career in mind, always wondering what the point of life is. I'm a deep thinker and I tend to overthink every single aspect of life, focusing on the negatives all the time. I'm always thinking about what I don't like about society and everything that's wrong with the world. Clearly, I need to take a good look at myself and change myself first.

I look forward to getting to know all of you on this forum.

Hello and welcome to the forum sandrabeth
    Comment>

Welcome to the forum. This is a good place for someone who wants to learn about Christianity. You also need to read the Bible. A good place to start would be the New Testament so you can start with the words of Jesus himself, If you have questions about what you read post them on the forum and I am sure someone will answer them.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Originally posted by sandrabeth View Post
        Hi everyone,
        I'm from Canada.I've never been to church. I am planning to visit a local church in the near future. It seems like a large church with lots of resources. It hosts different groups and programs, and it's very welcoming towards newcomers. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for in a church yet.

I'm nervous but yet excited about going. Nervous because I will probably have to go alone, and I'm shy around new people. I don't know what to expect. I'm excited because I think that it could help me make a positive change in myself. I feel lost and depressed a lot of the time. I was diagnosed with chronic depression and anxiety and I have thoughts of suicide often. I think that this is a sign that I can't keep living this way, without God. I've felt so lost and without a purpose, without any goal or specific career in mind, always wondering what the point of life is. I'm a deep thinker and I tend to overthink every single aspect of life, focusing on the negatives all the time. I'm always thinking about what I don't like about society and everything that's wrong with the world. Clearly, I need to take a good look at myself and change myself first.

I look forward to getting to know all of you on this forum.
        Hello SandraBeth, welcome to the forum. I hope your time here will be blessed and that you in turn will be a blessing to those here.

It's always exciting to see what is most likely the convicting ministry of the Holy Spirit in the lives of others, and I'm sure many here will agree with me when I say you have already blessed this forum in this post.

Depression is terrible, and I can say that coming to know the Lord can defeat depression on a level that makes one contemplate ending their life. That doesn't mean we cannot feel sadness at the state of the world, and what goes on in it, as we would have to divorce ourselves from the intellect to accomplish that. We look at the consequences of sin and see the terrible state of this world, and that is something we can never, nor should...ignore. However, the Lord can replace depression itself with a better understanding of why the world is in this state, and what our role in this life is. For now, you are in need of being ministered to, yet consider the potential of yourself ministering to others who also feel depressed, sharing a joy that can be had through relationship with the Lord. Before I was saved, I was a drunk and an alcoholic, and few need to guess whether depression goes hand in hand with those particular "hobbies." And I won't say I never get depressed anymore, but, for different reasons, and without a feeling of hopelessness. We still have to exist in this world, and while we are here, we would be insane not to recognize the horrors sin produces among mankind. And that is where we receive our purpose in life, to do what we can to try to see others come to an understanding of spiritual realities and eternity.

So again, I am excited for you and with you, and encourage you to find a fellowship where you might sit under the preaching of the Word of God. Keep in mind that the people you may meet there will be a diverse lot, some saved, some perhaps not, all at different stages in their own pursuit of understanding. When I was first saved and began attending, I felt like the scum of the earth crept in among a multitude of Moses, lol, and after a while...found out they were actually real people with struggles such as my own.

Lastly, you say you focus on the negatives, and perhaps it may be that you simply do not have enough "positives" to redirect your focus to. The primary positive we can have in this life is not just a knowledge, but experiencing that God is concerned for us, and being the perfect Father, we can rest in that love. No matter what life throws at us, we can become rooted in that understanding that we are in His hand, and He has complete charge of us.

Again, I believe the Spirit of God has brought you to a point of conviction, and encourage you to respond to that ministry. Go visit that church, perhaps a couple, and don't let it intimidate you. Most fellowships have many people who will be glad to have you there. I also encourage interaction here, ask questions, share how you feel, because there are many here who are glad to have you here.

God bless.
        Comment>

Welcome. It sounds like you are headed in the right direction. God Bless.
          Comment>

Welcome Sandrabeth!

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Welcome to the forum Sandra, hope you find what you are looking for in the church.
              Comment>

Thank you all for the warm welcome
                Comment>

Welcome sandrabeth, Grace and peace be unto you and hope you'll find what you want
                  Comment>

sandrabeth, there's no need to be nervous. All Christians are brothers and sisters in Christ so you should expect to get a warm reception in church. I'm sure that you'll find the peace and change you seek because it does seem to me that you are heeding Jesus call, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” In Christ you'll get all you seek.
                    Comment>

I think people look to the church and to God when there's really no other alternative to turn to. It's more of like the saying, once you reach your lowest point, you open yourself to new possibilities. Religion extends its hand to the helpless, to the hopeless, and to the weak, as God would give strength to people that can really turn your life around. I think I'm speaking from experience, I'm not sure yet, but when all hope was lost and the depression has taken over, lots of problems at home, and even more problems within me, I took all my problems and basically handed them to God, I don't really know if I truly believe, but at that moment it lightened my burden, and now I'm on my way back from rock bottom.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap