We encourage new members to post a short introduction of themselves in this Christian forum category. Get to know each other and share your common interests or tell us what church you go to etc.

Hi from South Africa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from South Africa

Good day fellow Christians. I am a 30 year old man living in Cape Town, South Africa. I have been raised Protestant, but I have been struggling with the idea of an organised religion forcing me to believe certain things, whether I agree with them or not. I hope to be able to share my thought and feelings here and hopefully find answers to my questions.

Interesting. Care to share your stories growing up? What's the religion like over there? Is it hard being Christian growing up in South Africa?
    Comment>

I don't mind at all. What would you like to hear. My Christian education came from going to church each Sunday, Sunday School, Youth on Fridays, Voortrekkers* and of course my parents. My parents both belonged to a Christian youth organisation where the started dating. They used to do a lot of missionary work and my mother was a Sunday School teacher until we left High School. So we had Christian education all around us.

The religion is a mixed bag as much of the country do not believe in Christianity and those that do also still believe in their ancestral religions , which employs witchcraft. I come from a Christian community however and I am a direct descendant of one of the French Huguenots, which I am very proud off. Christianity is celebrated in most parts of the country and ours is a country open to any religion wich makes it easy to be who you want to be.

It was very easy growing up as a Christian actually.

*Christian youth organisation for Afrikaners
      Comment>

Hi Noreht
        Comment>

Hi Noreht
          Comment>

Welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by Noreht View Post
            I have been struggling with the idea of an organised religion forcing me to believe certain things, whether I agree with them or not.
            This is a good attitude to have because a lot of religious organizations do teach things that are false. You need to follow the example of the Bereans.

The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived they went into the Jewish synagogue. Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.
            (Acts 17:10-11 ESV)

You should check everything you are taught to see if it agrees with the Bible. I follow a blog by a pastor who lives in Zambia and I get the impression from it that there is a lot of false teaching in the churches of Africa. Here is a link to the blog:

A Letter from Kabwata
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Thank you theophilus I will be sure to have a look at the blog. Yes there is a lot of nonsense spewed by preachers here in Africa. Some of them have even convinced people that you can be cured of ailments if you believe in God enough to eat live rats that have been blessed by the preacher. I'm not saying this is what I was referencing, just making an example. My reference is geared towards the Roman Catholic Church and some of their teachings as well as the N.G. and AGS here in South Africa. The later are both Protestant btw.
              Comment>

Hi Noreht.

Theophilus is right. Always make sure what a religion believes lines up with the bible. Study it daily and write it on the "tablet of your heart" Proverbs 7:3 (ESV). Then when you go into a church and you see that something is off, you'll know that what they're teaching is wrong. I struggled with organized religion a lot too. You believe their way or you're doomed. The mind is a powerful thing and can easily be manipulated into believing things that aren't true. Have you ever seen those infomercials on these work from home jobs where they say "Order our system and you can make thousands monthly"? But it turns out to be a scam? Every one you hear says their system is better than everyone elses and there's is the only true way to make money. It's the same thing with religion. They all say they have the truth. But not every one saying "Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven, only those who do the will of the father" (Matt 7:21). James 1:27 tells you what the true religion is: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world". There are many other verses, but as long as your doing that you should be good to go. Hope that helps.
                Comment>

Hello my south african friend! Welcome to Christforums
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap