We encourage new members to post a short introduction of themselves in this Christian forum category. Get to know each other and share your common interests or tell us what church you go to etc.

Hello, Teen here from atheist family

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello, Teen here from atheist family

    Hello, I am a teenager that was raised by atheist parents, however excuse me if this sounds insensitive or rude, I have more recently found faith in God. I joined this forum on hopes of finding answers for my questions, as I do not want to talk to my Christian relatives about these things. I am not sure as to what direction to go from here, reading the Bible, ect.

    Thank you, Alex

  • #2
    Hi Alex,

    Welcome to the forum. Hope your fellowship here is a fruitful one!

    God bless,
    William
    Comment>

    • #3
      Welcome Alex
      Comment>

      • #4
        Hi Alex. Let me give you some generic advise I've settled on. Grab yourself an ESV Bible (downloaded, bookstore, or online) and read the Gospel of John (the book after Matthew, Mark, and Luke).
        Comment>

        • #5
          Hi Alex, you should grab a KJV Bible with the the Message or the Voice translation for deeper understanding. According to me, you should start from the beginning of the Bible i.e. from Genesis in order to understand the God's Old Covenant in order to deeply understand the New Covenant. You oughtta follow the success formula of God i.e. as follows:-

          1) Understand the word of God.
          2) Meditate on the word of God.
          3)Put the word into action.
          Comment>

          • #6
            Welcome to the forum. I hope we can give you the help you need. Have you told your parents about your faith in God?
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

            • #7
              Please read this book. This book is provided by Kenneth Copland Ministries. It'll surely help you understanding the God's Success Formula.
              Attached Files
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by motirattan View Post
                Please read this book. This book is provided by Kenneth Copland Ministries. It'll surely help you understanding the God's Success Formula.
                No one should read anything by Kenneth Copland.

                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by motirattan View Post
                  Please read this book. This book is provided by Kenneth Copland Ministries. It'll surely help you understanding the God's Success Formula.
                  Before recommending anything by Kenneth Copeland, I suggest you read this:

                  Kenneth and Gloria Copeland - religious cults, sects and movements
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Never never recommend anything from Kenneth Copeland.


                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by motirattan View Post
                      Hi Alex, you should grab a KJV Bible with the the Message or the Voice translation for deeper understanding. According to me, you should start from the beginning of the Bible i.e. from Genesis in order to understand the God's Old Covenant in order to deeply understand the New Covenant. You oughtta follow the success formula of God i.e. as follows:-
                      I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that your advice is horrible. Starting with Genesis, it would take a long time for anyone ever to get to the "Good News", and the Gospel is easily understood even without reading the Old Testament first.

                      I love the KJV and it's a necessary text for any serious student of the Bible, but for the uninitiated, it's old language is hard to understand and misleading. The Message and the Voice play fast and loose with the text and so are garbage. Speaking of which...

                      Originally posted by motirattan View Post
                      Please read this book. This book is provided by Kenneth Copland Ministries.
                      <cough> Read the Gospel of John in the ESV (or NKJV). That goes for you too, and don't read any garbage that skews you into error.
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Motirattan actually recommended reading a book by Kenneth Copeland over reading the Gospel. :eek:
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
                          The Message and the Voice play fast and loose with the text and so are garbage.
                          Calling them garbage might give the impression that they have at least some value. After all at least some garbage can be recycled or useful in other ways. As translations of the biblical texts (and by the way that is using the word translation in an extremely loose sense), they are worthless.
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                            Before recommending anything by Kenneth Copeland, I suggest you read this:

                            Kenneth and Gloria Copeland - religious cults, sects and movements
                            First of all, you should come to know that his teaching might be false but this book is truely good to achieve victory for beginners

                            Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
                            I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that your advice is horrible. Starting with Genesis, it would take a long time for anyone ever to get to the "Good News", and the Gospel is easily understood even without reading the Old Testament first.

                            I love the KJV and it's a necessary text for any serious student of the Bible, but for the uninitiated, it's old language is hard to understand and misleading. The Message and the Voice play fast and loose with the text and so are garbage.
                            I gotta tell you that reading from Genesis enhances a person's understanding. And also I've recommended the Voice or the Message translation with the KJV because KJV is a word to word translation and other two are thought to thought. While ESV and NKJV are somewhat a mixture of both. But if we do it manually in our mind, it'll make better sense and understanding of what God wants to say. Moreover, you can start reading the four gospels side by side. Let Spirit be your guide and teacher.

                            God Bless,
                            Moti Rattan
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by motirattan View Post
                              First of all, you should come to know that his teaching might be false but this book is truely good to achieve victory for beginners
                              That makes no sense. Since Copland's teaching is false, anything that comes from his ministry is suspect to say the least.

                              Originally posted by motirattan View Post
                              And also I've recommended the Voice or the Message translation with the KJV because KJV is a word to word translation and other two are thought to thought.
                              As I said above, as translations of the biblical texts (and by the way that is using the word translation in an extremely loose sense), they are worthless.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap