Why so many viewers & so few post's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so many viewers & so few post's?

I am new to this forum & like what I see so far... If the statistics are correct then there is at this precise moment nearly 1100 people viewing the forum, broken down with guests & members online etc... but viewers all the same, I have been a forum user online for years and I can say this is very impressive number of users viewing, not sure if many members are constantly online through mobile or not etc but still the number of guests is high for a forum in my opinion.

My concern is why so little activity on posts & threads with such high forum traffic?.. intrigued & curious possible converts maybe?, theology students roaming for knowledge?,, governmental workers checking for illegal activity? who knows..

I think it would be a great idea if members posted more..if they are available of course, even if its not of biblical conversation.. the lounge seems a good place for general topics, this might entice lurkers to join and engage in this great community.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by Bliss View Post
    I am new to this forum & like what I see so far... If the statistics are correct then there is at this precise moment nearly 1100 people viewing the forum, broken down with guests & members online etc... but viewers all the same, I have been a forum user online for years and I can say this is very impressive number of users viewing, not sure if many members are constantly online through mobile or not etc but still the number of guests is high for a forum in my opinion.

My concern is why so little activity on posts & threads with such high forum traffic?.. intrigued & curious possible converts maybe?, theology students roaming for knowledge?,, governmental workers checking for illegal activity? who knows..

I think it would be a great idea if members posted more..if they are available of course, even if its not of biblical conversation.. the lounge seems a good place for general topics, this might entice lurkers to join and engage in this great community.

Just a thought.
    Hello Bliss,

We're actually a very young forum compared to others in the top ten. I think we're actually the youngest. For example, Christianforums.com has been online for 18 plus years. We just hit our two year anniversary, having less than 1000 members (about to hit that hallmark).

Christforums.org actually is very encouraging number wise. These last six months we've seen a definite improvement in popularity. It had taken us nearly a year to crack Google's first page for key word listing. As for those guests searching and finding us, analytics show that we are above avg in the way of guests having a graduate or college degree. We are equal for both males and females finding this forum, as well as them finding it from work or home.

Geographically, our highest numbers come from the U.S. I'm definitely looking into reasons why we are not as popular in Europe and Australia. Throughout those time zones we are also looking for additional volunteers as moderators (for fyi). I'm actually glad we are not overly busy. Because financially I am not prepared to run super numbers. I only recently monetized the forum (selling ads etc) to help with the monthly expenses. I'm trying to balance a disability check, donations, and ad revenue, along with volunteers to make this work. At the moment the site is actually at the edge of my budget. Anything more and I will have to push for additional financial resources.

As for forum operations, our forum is a little different than "open" Christian boards. For example, we haven't a place for Catholics on the board, and other controversial sects and cults. If we just wanted numbers, provisions would be made to open the board to a more neutral state. It just isn't the focus of this board. Likewise, we're not a general religion type forum and we're not overrun by atheist, again it's the nature of our design which took me near a year to fine tune and complete. By no means have I designed the format of this board to be "hospitable" towards everyone.

Lastly, surprisingly, our numbers usually drop throughout the weekend. Saturday and especially Sunday are our least active days. I hope this reflects the nature of our members, that is, them being active in the church in real life. If so, then we have succeeded in our goal, our focus is to provide a place, a Christian community to talk about Scripture with others, helping focus our member's minds on Scriptural topics throughout the week, but at the same time not replace real human interaction and fellowship.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I can see on TV huge churches with big numbers but the message is lukewarm .
      Comment>

It's normal for a forum to have a high views-to-post ratio, for example a user might read most of the threads on the board, but only comment on a couple. Then there is bot traffic and long term lurkers who may never actually register. I know when I first saw this board, it seemed rather formidable. I know some of the history of the church in Ireland and Britain, but there are people on here discussing Greek and Aramaic! The trick is getting readers to make the leap to posting.

Originally posted by William View Post
        Geographically, our highest numbers come from the U.S. I'm definitely looking into reasons why we are not as popular in Europe and Australia.
        <snipped>

As for forum operations, our forum is a little different than "open" Christian boards. For example, we haven't a place for Catholics on the board, and other controversial sects and cults.
        You may find one of the reasons there are few European members is because this is a Protestant board and Catholicism is the dominant Christian church in most of mainland Western Europe. There's also the issue of the language barrier to consider in regions with the larger Orthodox churchs (e.g. Greece and Russia).
        Comment>

Hello Bliss,

We're actually a very young forum compared to others in the top ten. I think we're actually the youngest. For example, Christianforums.com has been online for 18 plus years. We just hit our two year anniversary, having less than 1000 members (about to hit that hallmark).

Christforums.org actually is very encouraging number wise. These last six months we've seen a definite improvement in popularity. It had taken us nearly a year to crack Google's first page for key word listing. As for those guests searching and finding us, analytics show that we are above avg in the way of guests having a graduate or college degree. We are equal for both males and females finding this forum, as well as them finding it from work or home.

Geographically, our highest numbers come from the U.S. I'm definitely looking into reasons why we are not as popular in Europe and Australia. Throughout those time zones we are also looking for additional volunteers as moderators (for fyi). I'm actually glad we are not overly busy. Because financially I am not prepared to run super numbers. I only recently monetized the forum (selling ads etc) to help with the monthly expenses. I'm trying to balance a disability check, donations, and ad revenue, along with volunteers to make this work. At the moment the site is actually at the edge of my budget. Anything more and I will have to push for additional financial resources.

As for forum operations, our forum is a little different than "open" Christian boards. For example, we haven't a place for Catholics on the board, and other controversial sects and cults. If we just wanted numbers, provisions would be made to open the board to a more neutral state. It just isn't the focus of this board. Likewise, we're not a general religion type forum and we're not overrun by atheist, again it's the nature of our design which took me near a year to fine tune and complete. By no means have I designed the format of this board to be "hospitable" towards everyone.

Lastly, surprisingly, our numbers usually drop throughout the weekend. Saturday and especially Sunday are our least active days. I hope this reflects the nature of our members, that is, them being active in the church in real life. If so, then we have succeeded in our goal, our focus is to provide a place, a Christian community to talk about Scripture with others, helping focus our member's minds on Scriptural topics throughout the week, but at the same time not replace real human interaction and fellowship.

God bless,
          William
          Thanks William. That was a very comprehensive and informative piece of article for the newbies. It is encouraging to read how well you are getting views.

Congratulations. I too am new in here but I hope to familiarise myself quickly.
          Comment>

I am brand new and love to talk about the Lord. However, most people tend to warm up to groups to sense the pulse of the community. I don't have that issue because the truth of the Gospel is not dependent upon people's moods. Each forum also has its own structure and it takes time to understand the layout and how various things work. I spent two years on Christian Forums until they banned me recently because of my annoyance at the moderators treating members like children in deciding what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. I hope I don't get banned here, but my experience is that every group that has leadership wants to control what people say according to their idea of what is acceptable or not. The Bible teaches nothing but states everything, so everyone's reading is subject to interpretation. That does not mean that there is common understanding in those interpretations, but that common understanding, as Peter says in 2 Peter 1:20 is found by the Spirit's intended meaning. That common understanding bears witness to the whole body of Christ, that is, those who are born again and know how to follow the leading of the Spirit.
            Comment>

Originally posted by ADofTX View Post
              I am brand new and love to talk about the Lord. However, most people tend to warm up to groups to sense the pulse of the community. I don't have that issue because the truth of the Gospel is not dependent upon people's moods. Each forum also has its own structure and it takes time to understand the layout and how various things work. I spent two years on Christian Forums until they banned me recently because of my annoyance at the moderators treating members like children in deciding what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. I hope I don't get banned here, but my experience is that every group that has leadership wants to control what people say according to their idea of what is acceptable or not. The Bible teaches nothing but states everything, so everyone's reading is subject to interpretation. That does not mean that there is common understanding in those interpretations, but that common understanding, as Peter says in 2 Peter 1:20 is found by the Spirit's intended meaning. That common understanding bears witness to the whole body of Christ, that is, those who are born again and know how to follow the leading of the Spirit.
              Hi ADofTX,

The problems we face are not really with church going believers, but those not attending a church or unbelievers.

Generally, by my observation, many people kind of self sabotage themselves before they establish membership, they set themselves up and us for banning. They have this preconceived notion that we are looking to ban, nothing could be further from the truth. Webmaster and Owners spend massive amounts of time and money on advertising a new board and getting the board in front of people. It's just common sense that having to ban people is counter productive to such efforts.

People of varying views are welcome here. Moderators should not really be moderating particular doctrine unless it is stated in the rules as not being allowed. For example: Promotion of Kinism Banned from Christforums -Christforums

Other than that we should all get along quite well as long as we are conscious of the rules. Staff here really doesn't have time to babysit around the clock.

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

Hi ADofTX,

The problems we face are not really with church going believers, but those not attending a church or unbelievers.

Generally, by my observation, many people kind of self sabotage themselves before they establish membership, they set themselves up and us for banning. They have this preconceived notion that we are looking to ban, nothing could be further from the truth. Webmaster and Owners spend massive amounts of time and money on advertising a new board and getting the board in front of people. It's just common sense that having to ban people is counter productive to such efforts.

People of varying views are welcome here. Moderators should not really be moderating particular doctrine unless it is stated in the rules as not being allowed. For example: Promotion of Kinism Banned from Christforums -Christforums

Other than that we should all get along quite well as long as we are conscious of the rules.

God bless,
                William
                The trouble I had at the end of my relation with the other forum was how the moderators enforced the rules. Specifically I started a thread called, Should Christians be Politically Correct? At about 3 pages of discussion, the moderator simply closed the thread with the statement, Thread under Review. If the moderator had simply PM'd me asking me about the thread and pointed out her concerns, I would have complied. I went back through and read every thing that was written to try and determine what was the reason. The only thing I could think was the offense was the part of the discussion on how political correctness tries to change the meaning of words. Words naturally change through the generations and I gave examples of words that originally were considered benign that were changed by euphemisms. I assumed this was an adult audience, but saw that the examples were deleted. I asked the moderator about this and she said the filter automatically deletes words. Then I asked if there were children on the forum and she said, yes. But she never told me what her concern was for closing the thread.

So I decided to find out how many children were actually on the forum, so I started a thread with a survey and explained my reasons for wanting to know. The thread was deleted immediately by another moderator who said I had violated the rules by publicly discussing what the moderator had done with my prior thread. I told him that I felt like the moderators treated members like children. He took offense and banned me from the site. Since I was banned, I wanted to at least contact some of the members to continue my friendship through PM, letting them know that I was banned. That, apparently, was also against their rules. They quoted my PM and I was shocked to realize that they read the Private Messages, as well. That kind of oversight felt more like communism than Christianity, and I told them that.

What they did not understand is that the more they pushed me the more it made me want to push back. I understand every forum is privately owned and every forum has the right to make their rules and enforce them any way they want. However, as Christians, I just did not feel like they used wisdom in talking to me. Of course, my pushing back is the flesh in me, too. So I recognize my culpability in that situation, too.

I am a mature Christian who has walked with the Lord for 32 years. I am also a godly and righteous man. Sadly, some believers, and I mean those two moderators, would not know Jesus if he secretly came back to Earth in the flesh and said, "hello," to them. By the way, when I mentioned that I had been banned from the other site, I did not have to say that. I said it because I am scrupulously honest, and live my life in Christ transparently.
                Comment>

Originally posted by ADofTX View Post

The trouble I had at the end of my relation with the other forum was how the moderators enforced the rules. Specifically I started a thread called, Should Christians be Politically Correct? At about 3 pages of discussion, the moderator simply closed the thread with the statement, Thread under Review. If the moderator had simply PM'd me asking me about the thread and pointed out her concerns, I would have complied. I went back through and read every thing that was written to try and determine what was the reason. The only thing I could think was the offense was the part of the discussion on how political correctness tries to change the meaning of words. Words naturally change through the generations and I gave examples of words that originally were considered benign that were changed by euphemisms. I assumed this was an adult audience, but saw that the examples were deleted. I asked the moderator about this and she said the filter automatically deletes words. Then I asked if there were children on the forum and she said, yes. But she never told me what her concern was for closing the thread.

So I decided to find out how many children were actually on the forum, so I started a thread with a survey and explained my reasons for wanting to know. The thread was deleted immediately by another moderator who said I had violated the rules by publicly discussing what the moderator had done with my prior thread. I told him that I felt like the moderators treated members like children. He took offense and banned me from the site. Since I was banned, I wanted to at least contact some of the members to continue my friendship through PM, letting them know that I was banned. That, apparently, was also against their rules. They quoted my PM and I was shocked to realize that they read the Private Messages, as well. That kind of oversight felt more like communism than Christianity, and I told them that.

What they did not understand is that the more they pushed me the more it made me want to push back. I understand every forum is privately owned and every forum has the right to make their rules and enforce them any way they want. However, as Christians, I just did not feel like they used wisdom in talking to me. Of course, my pushing back is the flesh in me, too. So I recognize my culpability in that situation, too.

I am a mature Christian who has walked with the Lord for 32 years. I am also a godly and righteous man. Sadly, some believers, and I mean those two moderators, would not know Jesus if he secretly came back to Earth in the flesh and said, "hello," to them. By the way, when I mentioned that I had been banned from the other site, I did not have to say that. I said it because I am scrupulously honest, and live my life in Christ transparently.
                  I understand, and also had the exact same thing done to me over there. A woman moderator wearing a collar in her avatar didn't approve of me being outspoken against a Transvestite. The whole thread was put in review and I was given a warning though my speech was controlled and I expressed nothing more than an impolitical correct view. That was the last post I made there.

Banned members here on this board can come back if they just acknowledge the issue and refrain from doing whatever again. In our time of 3 years on the net that has only occurred twice. To note, if a member is banned, they cannot use the private message system on this board. They can however contact staff by using the "contact us" link bottom right of any page.

Ultimately, David Lee and Origen are the moderators on this board, and membership is left to them to decide.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap