I worked my behind off and my neck got sunburned.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I worked my behind off and my neck got sunburned.

It was Rally Sunday and we held Divine Service under a tent in the front lawn. I helped set up the day before and I helped break down right after.. I was ( for a day) the classic historical definition of a redneck: somebody of Scottish/ Scots- Irish ancestry who works outdoors and gets his fair skin sunburned, especially on his neck, face and arms. End of whine. It was fun.

Glad you had a good time, though I do have two words that may help you in the future: sun screen.

Also, an additional couple of words for your other problem: padded pants.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
      Glad you had a good time, though I do have two words that may help you in the future: sun screen.

Also, an additional couple of words for your other problem: padded pants.
      Thanks, I'll definitely remember those words for next time! :cool:
      Comment>

Originally posted by ConfessionalLutheran View Post
        It was Rally Sunday and we held Divine Service under a tent in the front lawn. I helped set up the day before and I helped break down right after.. I was ( for a day) the classic historical definition of a redneck: somebody of Scottish/ Scots- Irish ancestry who works outdoors and gets his fair skin sunburned, especially on his neck, face and arms. End of whine. It was fun.
        Scottish ancestry, uh, that would be me. Glad to have you even for only one day.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
          Scottish ancestry, uh, that would be me. Glad to have you even for only one day.
          Aaahhhh! You just gave me an excuse to start talking about my ancestry ( blame my late great- uncle Miller Baird McDonald, my mother's paternal uncle. He got me hooked)! Yes, I do indeed have Scottish blood ( reddish- blonde hair, freckles, the whole nine yards), I descend from the MacDonalds of Glenmoriston. My mother's father was actually baptized and raised a Presbyterian from his birth in 1912 to his father Melva Lawson McDonald's death in 1927. Then, along with his mother, Bertha Clarence Baird, he followed the Baptist religion. He met my granny, Phyllis Veronica Cornett, who was of French Cajun ( her mother was a Pecot) and English, Scots- Irish and German- Swiss descent ( from her father, who was a Cornett from Kentucky) and in 1945, they had my mother ( ten years after they had her older sister, who, like her mother, was christened as a Catholic). They lived in Falls Church, Virginia and went to the Southern Baptist Church on Arlington Boulevard from the late fifties onward. My mother met my father ( who is of English, Scottish and Virginia German descent) at a bowling party in 1969. dad was born in DC ( like Mom was) to Howard Mathy Gooding ( who was of English ( mostly) and German descent ( 1/8) and he was raised as a Methodist, as was his wife, Elna Thorne, of Oxon Hill, Maryland ( she was of largely English and some little Scottish descent).
          My AncestryDNA results came back rather oddly, but I guess I can make it out. My Ancestry Estimate Regions are 45% Europe West, 28% Ireland, 13% Scandinavia, 6% Iberian Peninsula and Trace regions are 4% Great Britain (!), 3% Europe East and <1% Finland/ Northwest Russia.
          My 23andMe Ancestry Composition is 57.3% British and Irish, 20.4% Broadly Northwestern European, 17.2% French and German, 3.3% Scandinavian, 0.3% Finnish, 0.3% Broadly Southern European, 0.7% Broadly European, 0.2% Native American and 0.2% Sub Saharan African.
          MyOrigins for FamilyTree DNA are as thus: 41% Central and Western European, 36% British Isles, 11% Eastern European, 5% Southern European, 4% Scandinavian and 3% Finland and Northern Siberia.
          Lutheran or not, buddy, you all are stuck with me. :cool:
          Comment>

And that is what happens when a fanatical genealogist gets triggered. :p
            Comment>

Welsh, Norwegian, Italian and Sicilian ... only in America!
              Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                Welsh, Norwegian, Italian and Sicilian ... only in America!
                The heterogeneity is what makes our country so great!
                Comment>

Wait, doggone it.. You're Church of Christ and of Scottish descent. Would you happen to live in Kansas, have French Canadian blood from your mother's side of the family and be part of the Clan Donald DNA Project? If so, then we are kin and I'm pretty sure you probably already know who I am. A couple of years ago, I tried the Presbyterian Church, USA and you told me how your church was founded by Presbyterians; if you are who I think you are, this extra clue might jolt you with some recognition.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by ConfessionalLutheran View Post
                    Wait, doggone it.. You're Church of Christ and of Scottish descent. Would you happen to live in Kansas, have French Canadian blood from your mother's side of the family and be part of the Clan Donald DNA Project? If so, then we are kin and I'm pretty sure you probably already know who I am. A couple of years ago, I tried the Presbyterian Church, USA and you told me how your church was founded by Presbyterians; if you are who I think you are, this extra clue might jolt you with some recognition.
                    Sorry my friend but no. I do not live in Kansas nor do I have any French Canadian blood.
                    Comment>

Sorry my friend but no. I do not live in Kansas nor do I have any French Canadian blood.
                      Cool, man. :) I thought I'd just make sure. Your writing style is a bit similar, so I thought I might've made a connection. Ah well, back to theology!
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap