Disgruntle Members Love to Respond With...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgruntle Members Love to Respond With...

Matthew 6:15 - "but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

This isn't the first time we have received an email after a member was banned. Here's the latest and greatest:

From an Anonymous X-Member:

You do realize, Sensitive Little Heart, if you do not forgive me as God does, according to Jesus God The Father will not forgive your trespasses. That means Hell 4 U.

Lol. Calvin cannot save your weak little ... "prick."
    So have at it. How do we understand this verse? Are we to turn the cheek and forgive others? Are we to condone bad behavior without repentance even when the guilty party does not even approach us for forgiveness? In the Context of Matthew 6, this particular x-member's response doesn't seemingly align with 1 Timothy 2:8 "I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling;". Does this man approach his brethren as a Peace maker? No, he seemingly is the type to slap his girl across the face and use Matthew 6:15 when she attempts to break it off with him.

There's a lot of wolves attempting to gain access into our fold. There is nothing more that would please Staff and members than to be approached or received in repentance when things become out of hand. We will do our best to respond to you with forgiveness, because there is a difference between being forgiving in the spirit of grace, and just overlooking, ignoring, or condoning such behavior that victimizes others here.

God bless,
    William

Ah, that's sweet. This person is clearly contrite and certainly knows the Scriptures. What more could you ask for William? LOL
    Comment>

The Bible says, "Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline." If you truly love a poster who violates the rules you must ban him so he will realize that his behavior is wrong.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

I was under the impression that you forgive the ones who repent and ask for forgiveness. Those who do not ask for forgiveness you are allowed to 'discipline' or attempt to correct their behavior or thoughts. Hopefully they will see the error in their ways and repent once they have a eureka moment, they just need time to grow mentally and spiritually. For those you can't help, you forgive them but you either remove yourself or them from your life and leave it to God to deal with.
        Comment>

If you look to the example of our Lord, he clearly forgave people who who did not and would not ever ask for repentance. When he cried out "Father forgive them for they know not what they do," do you believe that everyone he was talking about there realized what was going on and repented later? I think that to suggest that is absurd.

The classic example of the difference between forgiveness and full restoration, as I've always heard it, is the example of the embezzling church treasurer. Just because this person comes and asks for forgiveness, do you immediately put them back in charge of the church finances? And the answer that I've always heard, is, "of course you don't." However, when I think of the example of Christ, I have to think of Judas, who was known to help himself to the common purse from time to time. It would seem to me, that an approach to discipline that is focused on restoration instead of punishment, would evaluate the situation of the embezzling church treasurer and ask if this person is sincere in their repentance. It would ask if this person is going to repeat their failure, or if they are going to embezzle again. It would ask if they are even ready spiritually to be strong enough to resist the temptation to embezzle again. But not for the sake of the church--for the sake of the spiritual well-being of the person that you don't want to put into temptation. And if the answers to those questions are that this person seems genuinely repentant, and we do not believe that we are placing them at unnecessary risk by putting them back into their position, I think that absolutely you should put that CPA back in charge of the finances. I think there's probably a few other questions that need to be a test. If he really does this professionally, is this the only place from which he has taken money? Again, you would ask this for his benefit, not for the benefit of the church's bank account. Find out what help he needs. Put accountability structures in place so that if something like this is happening it will not be able to stay hidden for much time at all.

In the instant case, it appears that you have a member that is intentionally being disruptive and doesn't seem to care about the actions their effects are having on others. My instinct says that the correct action would be the obvious one: ban and leave them banned until such time as they're willing to agree to the rules of the community that have been set in place. I have no idea how this does or does not jive with the preceding example that I gave. But I do think it is consistent with the spirit of forgiveness. I think such a person ought to be forgiven, yet I'm not convinced that full restoration could take place without their agreeing to look at their offensive behavior.
          Last edited by Pr2612; 12-24-2016, 10:58 PM. Reason: Fixing grammar and speech-to-text errors
          Comment>

Matthew 6:15 seems a whole lot clearer when read in the context of the whole Chapter 6. There is a huge block right before it and immediately after it on hypocrisy followed by a "Would you please just pick a side already!" section at the end. Within that context, Jesus seems to be warning:

1. Do not stand before God playing stupid little hypocritical games where you rake some brother or sister over the coals while you do the exact same thing and come whining to God to turn a blind eye and forgive you ... God doesn't play that game.

2. Choose in or out with this whole following Jesus thing. Don't dip a toe in the water and see if "this is for you". If you are going to forgive, then forgive. Offer it willingly and expect God to grant it freely. This is not a tit-for-tat strings-attached let's-make-a-deal proposal. In or out. Make up your mind.

In that context, the rules of this or any other Board are pretty simple. Read them. If you agree, then follow them and stay. If you do not agree with them, then leave. It isn't rocket science. Your house, your rules. Agree to play by your rules, or leave.
            Comment>

Wow! God Bless.
              Comment>

Forget it William, you are obviously doomed by said poster. Repent! :D As i have said, i got kicked off somewhere for not saying sorry for stating that Muslims are committing genocide and I even prayed their own faith would make inroads. Too harsh. Whatever. I told them JESUS loves them. But I never asked for forgiveness or told them I forgive them. I just let it go and that is forgivness. But these things are petty compared to the tearing down of an entire church over suntin. As LeapOfFaith said, let GOD deal with it. Bet you won't lose too much sleep over it, brother. ;)
                Comment>

Haven't you ever read the central verse in the entire Bible, you know, DO NOT JUDGE (Matthew 7:1)? Come on William, get with the program :p ;) :eek: :rolleyes:
                  Last edited by David Lee; 06-27-2016, 04:36 PM. Reason: Added a few more silly emoticons, just for good measure :)
                  Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                  Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
                    Haven't you ever read the central verse in the entire Bible, you know, DO NOT JUDGE (Matthew 7:1)? Come on William, get with the program :p ;) :eek: :rolleyes:
                    Why do you consider that the central verse in the entire Bible?
                    Clyde Herrin's Blog
                    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                      He is kidding.

Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                        He is kidding.
                        Yep, that was just my sad attempt at humor :rolleyes: Matthew 7:1 is the undoubted central verse in the Bible for atheists, cult members, and liberal Christians. Being a conservative Christian however, I'd probably go with John 3:16.

Yours and His,
                        David
                        Last edited by David Lee; 06-28-2016, 10:46 AM.

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                        Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
                          Yep, that was just my sad attempt at humor :rolleyes:
                          I thought it was very funny.
                          Comment>

Comment>

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap