A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

One Generation Away

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Generation Away

More...

Excellent cartoon, aside from the omission of a bumper sticker equating the State with our father.
    Comment>

What are you talking about one generation away? Those sentiments have been around since the last eighties and nineties. I remember being in school and the teachers couldn't put up a nativity scene even though we were in a small town and everyone was Christian even if they didn't go to church.
      Comment>

One generation away goes back to the ideas of Ronald Reagan. Jefferson himself said that politically we needed a revolution every 20 years (every generation). The current generation (or genderation) is becoming increasingly secular while simultaneously rejecting any form of objective truth or reality. With as much as Christianity has been attacked in current years, we are only one generation from flat out persecution, and not the mild stuff that currently is going on. (extremely mild in comparison to what is going on elsewhere in the world).

But Christ will be glorified. I had a classmate in college remind me of this on July 4th (of all days). The Lord is the one who raises up nations and causes them to stumble. He gave us our freedom, and He can take it away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. He is in control, even if great change is only a generation away.

Comment>

I didn't know that the one generation away had to do with Ronald Reagan. I was just looking at the bus and just remember growing up with those bumper stickers. It's interesting that even back then Jefferson though that we would need a political revolution every generation. I wonder what this generation's revolution is going to be?
          Comment>

Religion wanes and comes back in time. Sure, the media can teach or say otherwise, but a true believer would always find a way to see through the mist of misinformation and the different changes in the tides, to see what the true words of God are (in his eyes). I don't really blame or hate these concepts, as they are part of the ebb and flow of cultural changes that take place all the time. But I'm sure as these concepts get passed down through generations, religion, faith, and belief in God would also transcend generations, and the task now lies with believers and passing it down to their children.
            Comment>

Every generation has their struggles. The church today is facing a different struggle than it was a generation ago. Today the challenge comes to the nature of truth: is truth real? Is it objective or subjective? My generation--I am 25--is pulling the next generation down with it. My generation has fully accepted subjective truth and the deception that stems with it. That's why we are seeing what we are seeing in politics over gay marriage and transgender bathrooms. But this pattern has been festering for a while in the church. If we start saying that the Bible does not really mean what it meant, then the Bible has become ineffective to this generation. When people start spouting 'foolish and ignorant disputes' (2 Tim 2:23), we have entertained them, instead of simply disregarding the foolishness and moving on.

So we have things like the JEDP theory stating that Moses did not really write the Torah. We have people focusing solely on Jesus's words (the red-letters)--the Sojourners--on the issues of homosexuality to avoid the conflicts arising from Paul's words on it. (And Jesus defines marriage when asked about adultery, so there is no excuse to accept homosexuality in the church). We have accepted the belief that evolution is acceptable; that Adam and Eve were not real, and just figments of our imagination. If God didn't make them male or female, then what's the big deal with being transgender?

My generation has ignored the bible and the historical teachings of the bible (including thousands of years of understanding of the church). We have replaced objective truth with whatever we feel the bible says.

With that being said, OursIsTheFury is absolutely right, true believers will always find a way to see though the mist of the world. Yahweh has a track record of saving remnants. Because of this, truth will always be here; people will have to look for the truth.
              Comment>

What is amazing, is the durability of Christianity, and for that matter, religion in general. It has lasted through trials, tribulations, wars, famines, drought, pain, ugliness and horrible ungodliness. People have tried desperately to remove it by force and failed. Yes, it can take only one generation to change beliefs, but only on one level. What I mean is, the media can get to you, your teachers can get to you, your friends can get to you...but your parents can also get to you and they have a considerable amount of sway in a child's life. When a child reaches adulthood, it's not his or her teachers that are emulated, or childhood friends, it's often the parents that the adult child is now thinking in alignment with. So, basically, in order to completely change minds in only one generation, you would have to completely separate the child from the parental influence. This is a most frightening thought and belongs in a horror movie rather than real life.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Novelangel View Post
                  What is amazing, is the durability of Christianity, and for that matter, religion in general. It has lasted through trials, tribulations, wars, famines, drought, pain, ugliness and horrible ungodliness. People have tried desperately to remove it by force and failed. Yes, it can take only one generation to change beliefs, but only on one level. What I mean is, the media can get to you, your teachers can get to you, your friends can get to you...but your parents can also get to you and they have a considerable amount of sway in a child's life. When a child reaches adulthood, it's not his or her teachers that are emulated, or childhood friends, it's often the parents that the adult child is now thinking in alignment with. So, basically, in order to completely change minds in only one generation, you would have to completely separate the child from the parental influence. This is a most frightening thought and belongs in a horror movie rather than real life.
                  Or the Church (body of believers) needs to sit on the sidelines for TWO generations while the world relentlessly indoctrinates the next generation.
                  Sometimes it seems like we have already yielded one generation and are fighting for the survival of the second.

Fortunately, the eyes of the LORD (still) search to and fro for someone in whom he can show himself strong ... so we are also only one generation away from a full on revival.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                    Fortunately, the eyes of the LORD (still) search to and fro for someone in whom he can show himself strong ... so we are also only one generation away from a full on revival.
                    Your words remind me of 1 Kings 19. Elijah said to the LORD:
                    I have been very jealous for the Lord, the God of hosts. For the people of Israel have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword, and I, even I only, am left, and they seek my life, to take it away.
                    But the LORD said to Elijah:
                    I still have left in Israel seven thousand followers who have not bowed their knees to Baal or kissed the images of him.
                    The truth is we have no way of knowing what God is doing behind the scenes. But one thing is certain, there is ALWAYS a remnant, faithful followers of the LORD who have not bent the knee or kissed false idols.
                    Last edited by Origen; 05-13-2016, 04:49 AM.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                      Your words remind me of 1 Kings 19. Elijah said to the LORD:

But the LORD said to Elijah: The truth is we have no way of knowing what God is doing behind the scenes. But one thing is certain, there is ALWAYS a remnant, faithful followers of the LORD who have not bent the knee or kissed false idols.
                      Yes and Amen!

Because it has never been about our efforts, but rather, has always been about the sovereignty of God.

I had this lesson driven home a while ago when I happened to track down someone I knew on Facebook.
                      I was saved out of gangs while planning a murder-suicide.
                      The person who first introduced this ultra-violent atheist to Jesus, went on to abandon his wife and children, moved to Massachusetts, became a gay activist, and was one of the first to get a same sex marriage when they became legal in that state.

It was never about our efforts, It was always about God's Soverignty ... if He can use Balaam's donkey ... nuff said. ;)
                      Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                        if He can use Balaam's donkey
                        If he can use Balaam's donkey he can use President Obama or one of the people who is likely to succeed him.
                        Clyde Herrin's Blog
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap