A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Facebook to replace churches?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook to replace churches?

This is not actually satire. Mark Zuckerburg has suggested Facebook will replace churches as people's community of choice.

I don't think so. I may follow sermons online, but I am very much aware it is a less than ideal substitue due to circumstances. If there was a church that matched my beliefs (a.k.a followed the Bible), I'd be joining them. The author of the article has also raised concerns about what exactly is supposed to be worshipped in the facebook groups? Money? Perosnally, while Facebook is popular, I don't think many people turn to it as a source of religious faith, just as an aid to the role of churches.

What do you think about his claims?
    Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has suggested that Facebook can act like a type of church for its users.

Most Facebook users aren't Christians. Perhaps for them Facebook might serve the function of a church.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

I don't think so either, you can't replace going to church. Facebook might be used as a tool to maybe gain new people, share sermons, among other things. But I don't think it will replace going to the physical church. It's certainly not the same and you don't get to interact directly with others.
      Comment>

I highly doubt that. As much people as facebook has, there's also a lot of people who hate using the website for giving away their privacy. I highly doubt that people would choose facebook since there is a saying that the more friends you have on facebook, the less you have in real life. Which is true for my case in which I have over 2000 friends in facebook but I only know about a hundred of them personally. There is also a different feeling when you go to church with your friends and loved ones compared to just chatting with each other online on different ends of the cable.
        Comment>

The church has already been replaced by church buildings.
          Comment>

I don't agree with the Facebook replacing church. I think people should go out and be social. I have found that people doing some bad things in the name of Christ. This can not be good on social media. People should limit their religious activities to real church. I have found that social media has cluttered with lot of religious content. If more people visit social media for this. Then surely they are going to be not visiting the real churches. In such case the best option would be to let people be socialize in real life. I think church around the world needs to invite people for socializing.
            Comment>

Originally posted by overcast View Post
              People should limit their religious activities to real church.
              The church should be part of what we do but we shouldn't limit our service to God to church. Every area of our life, including our internet activity, should be done for God's glory. The internet provides opportunities to interact with Christians in many parts of the world and to share the gospel with people whom we have no contact with in real life. These activities should be in addition to our church affiliation, not a substitute for it.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Wow, well, it's not that surprising..especially in these recent modern days. The church should be 'cultivated' right from within our hearts -as a start. Aiming at placing God's laws in our hearts and making them practicable in our personal lives.. It's then we should concentrate on building the physical churches through evangelizing and ministries/service..
                About attending a Sabbath service/sermon on Facebook, it's not ideal -if one does this on constant -occasions if it's not from a valid reason like illness..
                Comment>

Many church goers are subscribers to Facebook and it does not prevent them from going to, and being active in the church. The church is involved in fulfilling the spiritual need and Facebook allows for social.
                  interction. I see no clash of needs here, therefore, I don't believe they should be a threat to each other.
                  Comment>

There is a Facebook page that streams live church service. I do not want to worship the lord in front of my PC, I want to worship the lord in person at his house. These online church services are targeted to people who are to lazy to leave home or Christians who works at Muslim countries. Christians in Saudi Arabia does church services online secretly so they won't get punished. Why did they decide to work at Saudi Arabia anyway when there are countries where they can get opportunities and still have their religious freedom.
                    Comment>

Terminology, word tense, is soooooo important when referring to "church". There are far too many interpretations / applications of that word. Far better to speak of the Body of Christ, with Church always capitalized, having the same Spiritual worthiness, sincerely moving away from "building" or a building concept. Soooooo much is lost without context ~!!~

News stories:

"The church located at _______ burned down."

"The entire church marched in protest."

"A new church being built at _______."
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                        I do not want to worship the lord in front of my PC, I want to worship the lord in person at his house. These online church services are targeted to people who are to lazy to leave home or Christians who works at Muslim countries.
                        I disagree with you on that. The online services are targeted at the sick, the elderly and housebound, or those who cannot attend church for any reason but wish to continue practicing and follow the service. Sometimes there are Christians who follow for other reasons, like severe doctrinal differences with their local church, which I am one of. If it is not preaching the Bible then why not follow a service that does, even if I have to do it online?

Mark Zuckerberg's comment does remind me of The Beatles and the "bigger than Jesus" remark. In the years since, Beatlemania has come and gone, but Christianity stays constant. Perhaps we should dub Mr Zuckerberg "Ozymandius"?

Comment>

I think Facebook actually replace churches, because people from all around the world can meet and communicate together, no matter how long the distances... Just saying.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by marinnas View Post
                            I think Facebook actually replace churches, because people from all around the world can meet and communicate together, no matter how long the distances... Just saying.
                            Face to face contact with other people is far superior to online communication. For one thing, when people have problems you can work to help them. You can't do that thru facebook.
                            Clyde Herrin's Blog
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap