A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Copper Kettle tea room and coffee lounge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Kettle tea room and coffee lounge

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]I like to share my odd thoughts, breakfast ruminations, lunch day dreams, and dinner recipes so I decided that this thread may be a good place for me to do that and for anybody else who wants to do something similar.

I had fish & chips for dinner. The fish was basa, I served it with a sour-cream, mustard, and spices with a little seasoning as a sauce. The chips were oven baked and very nice indeed. The overall effect was so delicious that I briefly considered cooking seconds but decided that such would be extravagant and too filling. So I had a coffee instead.

Now, recently I bought some poonsin fish sauce and I was wondering how much one ought to add to a dish as it was cooking. The thought has passed through my mind that adding a little to some rice & vegetables with beef meatballs and crushed tomatoes with onion & garlic might make for a tasty dinner tomorrow. Do any of you have experience with fish sauce? I believe it is brewed from anchovies; it is a salty clear (light brown) liquid and I presume it is quite strong in flavour so I am anticipating using only a small amount in the dish - maybe 1/4 teaspoon full? Does that sound about right?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]We managed a very low minimum temperature over night - it got down to 2.6 C (36.7 F) - which is a record of some sort. I left the butter out overnight so the low temperature was okay for it. However I am feeling a little chill as I type. I think breakfast will need to be a cooked meal today![/SIZE][/FONT]
    Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]How does one know what is holy and what is not as far as books of the bible go? I asked that question of an elder from the local Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's witnesses and he had no idea except to suggest that I take a copy of a book called "All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial" as it happens I have a copy of it online and I did take a look but it didn't tell me why the specific books contained in the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures were holy and why other books were not. I wonder how good an answer others would give if asked the same question ...[/SIZE][/FONT]
      Last edited by peppermint; 06-22-2015, 08:53 PM.
      Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]​Meatballs & macaroni in a rich tomato & garlic sauce made for a lovely dinner :) [/SIZE][/FONT]
        Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]I had a very pleasant afternoon nap after chatting with eagle, baa baa, vacca, and Dr_Mac. The nap was better than the conversation, alas.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]​Now I am feeling wide awake and comfortably full after having a nice late lunch. I am not sure what to cook for dinner later tonight. Perhaps some roasted vegetables - potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, onion, carrot, Cauliflower with olive oil sprayed over the vegetables and some nice seasoning.[/SIZE][/FONT]
          Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]I did have some roasted vegetables and delicious they were!

Now it is bed time and I've had a busy day even though I managed a nap in it.

What shall I read to comfort me in my sleep? I posted it earlier in the day under "Daily Light". The evening reading is comforting. I also read from the Divine Office. Here is a thought from it.[/SIZE][/FONT]
            [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]The feelings that come to a man who stands on a high mountain peak and looks down onto some immense sea are the same feelings that come to me when I look out from the high mountain peak of the Lord’s words into the incomprehensible depths of his thoughts.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]When you look at mountains that stand next to the sea, you will often find that they seem to have been cut in half, so that on the side nearest the sea there is a sheer drop and something dropped from the summit will fall straight into the depths. Someone who looks down from such a peak will become dizzy, and so too I become dizzy when I look down from the high peak of these words of the Lord: Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]These words offer the sight of God to those whose hearts have been purified and purged. But look: St John says No-one has seen God. The Apostle Paul’s sublime mind goes further still: What no man has seen and no man can see. This is the slippery and crumbling rock that seems to give the mind no support in the heights. Even the teaching of Moses declared God to be a rock that was so inaccessible that our minds could not even approach it: No-one can see the Lord and live.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]To see God is to have eternal life – and yet the pillars of our faith, John and Paul and Moses, say that God cannot be seen. Can you understand the dizziness of a soul that contemplates their words? If God is life, whoever does not see God does not see life. If the prophets and the Apostle, inspired by the Holy Spirit, attest that God cannot be seen, does this not wreck all the hopes of man?[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]It is the Lord who sustains our floundering hope, just as he sustained Peter when he was floundering in the water, and made the waters firm beneath his feet. If the hand of the Word stretches out to us as well, and sets us firm in a new understanding when these speculations have made us lose our balance, we shall be safe from fear, held safe in the guiding hand of the Word. Blessed, he says, are those who possess a pure heart, for they shall see God.
            (A homily on the Beatitudes by St Gregory of Nyssa - God is like an inaccessible rock[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms])[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
            Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]It is a pleasantly cool day with a maximum of 20 C; not cold and not rainy but there is scattered cloud and patches of blue in between. I read from the Divine Office again and in the hour called "office of readings" - which is reserved for the late night - there was this homily among the psalms and readings from holy scripture:[/SIZE][/FONT]
              Originally posted by A homily on the Beatitudes by St Gregory of Nyssa The hope of seeing God
              [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God. God’s promise is so great that it passes the furthest limits of happiness. Given such a blessing, who could desire more, having already received all things by the fact of seeing God? Remember that in Scriptural usage ‘seeing’ means ‘having.’ May you see the good things of Jerusalemmeans ‘may you find them.’ Let the ungodly be taken away and not see the glory of the Lord means, in the prophet’s words, ‘not share in the glory of the Lord.’[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]So whoever ‘sees God’ receives, in this act of seeing, possession of everything that is good: incorruptible life without end, blessedness that cannot fail, a kingdom without end, happiness without limit, true light, the true voice of the Spirit, glory never before reached, perpetual rejoicing, and all else that is good.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]The promise of this Beatitude gives us the right to hope for these great things. All this sight of God is conditional on having a pure heart – and thinking of this, my mind is once more teetering on a dizzy peak. What if purity of heart is one of those unattainable things that are simply beyond our human nature? If, on the one hand, it is by purity of heart that God can be seen, and if, on the other hand, Moses and Paul did not see God and said that he could never be seen, it follows logically that purity of heart must be impossible, so that in pronouncing this Beatitude, the Word is putting forward something that simply cannot be.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]How can we benefit from knowing the means by which God can be seen, if that means is impossible for us?[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]Suppose, for instance, that someone told us it was good to find oneself in heaven because there one would see things that cannot be seen in this world. Now if he also told us how a journey to heaven might be undertaken, there might be some use in telling us about its delights. But as long as the journey is impossible, what use is it to think about the happiness that might lie at the end of it? We would simply suffer and be sad at the thought of the things that await us somewhere where we cannot go.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]Does the Lord really encourage us to do something that is beyond our nature and our powers to accomplish? Surely not. Look at the birds: God has not created them without wings. Look at sea creatures: God has not designed them as land animals. Wherever we look, the law of each creature’s being does not demand that it should do something that it is beyond its own nature to do.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]Let us reflect on this and realise that we should not despair of the purity of heart that the Beatitude speaks of. John, Paul and Moses did not, in the end, lack the sublime blessing of seeing God. Paul said There is laid up for me a crown of justice, which the Lord, the just judge, will render to me; John lay on Jesus’ breast; and Moses heard God say to him, I have known you above all. It is certain that those who said that the contemplation of God was beyond human power were themselves blessed. But blessedness comes from the contemplation of God, and seeing God is something that comes to those who are pure of heart. It follows logically that purity of heart cannot be an unattainable thing.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]So if some, with Paul, truly say that the contemplation of God is beyond human power, yet the Lord himself contradicts them by promising the sight of God to those who are pure of heart.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
              Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]Good day folks :)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]Winter can be quite cold and at times windy & dreary![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]Now, dear forum members, this thread exists for participation and none of you have participated yet - myself expected - so get typing and enjoy some fellowship without the need for debate or theological fisticuffs :) [/SIZE][/FONT]
                Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]It's a cold morning of 11 C at 07:13. I'll run a hot bath and God willing head out to mass later.[/SIZE][/FONT]
                  Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]I've had my nice hot bath and it is 15:28, mass starts at 18:00 and I think I shall go, God willing.[/SIZE][/FONT]
                    Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]I ordered some German Rye Bread; a 900 g loaf. I like rye. I also ordered from fruit bread for breakfasts. Plenty of vegetables and meat so I'll be well supplied for meals. The one thing I think I might want but didn't order is some shredded cheese. [/SIZE][/FONT]
                      Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]After mass - yes I did go to the 18:00 mass - I had dinner (some chicken and a few vegetables with a sip of wine) and then had a nap from which I woke a few moments ago. Now I am wondering if I ought to have a coffee or not if I do I'll stay up late I think ...[/SIZE][/FONT]
                        Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]It's Monday morning for me and I will be heading to church shortly to work on church finances and the like. At lunch time we pause for a good lunch together and chat about all manner of thing. The priest, our parish pastoral assistant and office staff share this time together as we pray, eat a meal, and have a glass of wine followed by coffee (or tea in my case). It is a rather nice way to spend a day.

It's winter here so some northern hemisphere Christmas songs seems fitting here are a couple.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
                          Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]We had a lovely lunch today; Tuna Morney, Potato Bake, Roasted Chicken, Green Salad with mushrooms and Tomatoes, and Ricotta & Spinach pastry puffs. The wine accompanying the meal was a Sauvignon Blanc and for dessert we had a blueberry tart with custard and cream. Coffee and tea served after. All very tasty and enjoyable. [/SIZE][/FONT]
                            Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]I went to bed fairly early and woke at a bit after 1 am. Odd how one's sleep patterns work :)[/SIZE][/FONT]
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap