A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Saying Grace?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saying Grace?

Do you say Grace before meals or before eating? I know some denominations do, while others don't, so I was curious.

Baptist friends say a small prayer, the Catholics parts of the family cross themselves and some of the Anglicans don't say it as their tradition is to give thanks for the good that day before sleep. What are your habits? Does it change by denomination or geographic location?

Every night before dinner, I say prayer with my family. It's usually just a short little prayer that just thanks God for the food and asks him to bless it and nourish it to our bodies. I personally don't say it before breakfast or lunch unless I'm sitting down with my family for those meals. I think it changes person to person rather than denomination or geographic location because it really depends on what you decide you want to do. I would say that saying grace before meals or eating is up to you and your relationship with God.
    Comment>

I say prayers before meal and I think the correct order is to pray before meals. The prayer is to thank God for the provision and sanctify the food before eating. I have no knowledge if the pattern of this prayer do change with other denomination(s). It's a good thing to always pray and give thanks for not just meals alone, everything we enjoy from God.
      Comment>

I think that no matter what faith or denomination you are, it's just common sense to be thankful for the wonderful things that come your way every day - and that includes the meals that you eat. I know it's very easy for some of us to take these things for granted, but look around you in the world and see how some people are living who don't have those things you take for granted and you will always find it really easy to say 'thank you' for every meal.
        Comment>

I always pray before every meal. I don't know, we were doing that since I was young so I do it even today. Sometimes, even a simple snack like chips or sodas from a store. I feel like every time we eat, aside from waking up in the morning, is a blessing.
          Comment>

Where I am from It was once a must that we said grace when we were about to start eating. Our parents insisted on it and there would be hell to pay if we didn't say our grace at mealtime. Nowadays, I don't know if many parents are still teaching this form of reverence to their children because many of the children don't seem to aware of this practice or it could be that they have opted to not participate in that manner.
            Comment>

Be wary of vain repetitions. There comes a point for many when "Saying grace" becomes a duration one must endure due to the aroma the food sitting before them. Be sure never to say any prayer without full sincerity. When I have children of my own I will NOT force them to participate in the prayer if they do not understand what it means to prayer sincerely; traditions like these may have adverse effects if not done carefully.

Matthew 6:7 KJV
              Comment>

Originally posted by Trixen View Post
                I always pray before every meal. I don't know, we were doing that since I was young so I do it even today. Sometimes, even a simple snack like chips or sodas from a store. I feel like every time we eat, aside from waking up in the morning, is a blessing.
                Definitely a huge blessing! I come from a country where food is such an important part of the culture, so it's so important to just pause, and thoughtfully acknowledge that having a meal (especially with friends and family) is such a blessing.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Trist View Post
                  Be wary of vain repetitions. There comes a point for many when "Saying grace" becomes a duration one must endure due to the aroma the food sitting before them. Be sure never to say any prayer without full sincerity. When I have children of my own I will NOT force them to participate in the prayer if they do not understand what it means to prayer sincerely; traditions like these may have adverse effects if not done carefully.
                  Matthew 6:7 KJV
                  I think that the answer to this lies in teaching your children to pray sincerely, and to be grateful for all of the blessings that come into our lives. It is (rightfully) called "an attitude of gratitude", and this is important in every part of our. Life, and not just to be thankful for the food that we have and are going to be eating.
                  Just to say the prayer does not accomplish anything, so it only makes sense to first teach the child WHY we pray and why we give thanks to God for our blessings.
                  I do not think that forgetting to say a prayer for something that we eat is going to condemn us in God's eyes; but just as we like to be appreciated for what we do for someone, so does God like us to be grateful for our blessings and not just take Him for granted in our lives.
                  Comment>

Praying over food is very important we never can tell how well the food was prepared and served especially if we weren't there during the making. One prayer point I have learned from a brother is always pray over every food asking they bring healing to your body.
                    Comment>

I always say a small prayer which we were taught at school before having my meals, thanking the Father for the food that we have received. I have taught my children also to say a small prayer before every meals. On spacial occasion my father used to say a prayer over the food laid out on the table and then we all started the lunch/dinner whatever it was. This has been a custom in our family.
                      Comment>

I like to say grace before we eat as a family as I think it strengthens our fate and our bond at the same time together. I don't see any reason why not to say grace either, yet I don't mind if some Christians don't as maybe they prefer being thankful for their blessings right before they go to sleep. I want my family to be more bonded through faith as not everyone of them are devout Christians. I do often take them to church nowadays with me, they're open-minded and I think it's going very well so far.
                        Comment>

We did say grace when I was growing up, at least most of the time. I have to admit that I don't always do so now. We don't usually all sit down and eat together, due to differing schedules. Sometimes, I'm grabbing something on the go.

I do tend to give thanks for various things, including food and other needs as well as comforts, throughout the day and during my "regular" prayers (devotions and then before bed).

We usually say grace when the whole family gets together for an occasion and eats together.
                          Comment>

We grew up giving thanks at dinner. When we had family reunions, leaving out the prayer would cause raised eyebrows and, without exception, a comment from a Grandparent. That was many, many, many years ago. Today I, as the GG-Grandfather, offer the prayer when we all gather for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have a great-grandson who is keeping up the pause to thank God for ........... everything.
                            Comment>

We must be thankful in our hearts. Giving thanks otherwise is just a form and tradition. Doing things by the letter has no life.

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap