A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Cross vs fish?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross vs fish?

I know that the fish was an early symbol of Christianity, but it was mainly supplanted by the cross. I've read some people's theories on why that happened, but no one seems to have investigated why the fish is now making a comeback. It's more common on bumper stickers and I'm seeing it around and referenced far more often than I used to. Did certain churches preserve it as a symbol and it is better known now due to globalisation, or was there an actual effort put into promoting it? If anyone knows, I'd be really curious.

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
    I know that the fish was an early symbol of Christianity, but it was mainly supplanted by the cross. I've read some people's theories on why that happened, but no one seems to have investigated why the fish is now making a comeback. It's more common on bumper stickers and I'm seeing it around and referenced far more often than I used to. Did certain churches preserve it as a symbol and it is better known now due to globalisation, or was there an actual effort put into promoting it? If anyone knows, I'd be really curious.
    When a Christian met a stranger in the road, the Christian sometimes drew one arc of the simple fish outline in the dirt with their foot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fish_first_half.png Views:	1 Size:	900 Bytes ID:	38354

If the stranger drew the other arc, both believers knew they were in good company.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fish_completed.png Views:	1 Size:	4.1 KB ID:	38355

Current bumper-sticker and business-card uses of the fish hearken back to this practice. This usually occurred during Christian persecution, and was a way of giving a sign that it was safe to speak about the faith.

Our logo has the symbol and incorporated four people surrounding the fish..... meaning it is safe to talk about your faith here without fear of persecution. It is no wonder to me that the fish has made a comeback, because of the last eight years under the most hostile president (Obama) towards Christianity, and the Christian genocide occurring elsewhere.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_2806.jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.7 KB ID:	38357

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Yes, there is an increased presence of the fish as a religion symbol. I believe that it's just a fad that has caught on. There have been many instances where someone may have brought back an old custom and many others just take up it up and run with it. Frankly, I view a cross or a fish as mere symbols which really has no bearing on the saving of one's soul.However, I have no problem with someone wearing either of them to show their commitment to the faith.
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap