A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

A Christian's responsibility for their family?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Christian's responsibility for their family?

Inspired by the post below, how responsible is a Christian for the actions of other, possibly non-Christian members of their family? I find the pastor's stance slightly confusing as he is singling out one sin, although if he felt the same way about a pastor who's children lied, stole, embezzled etc., I would probably understand it more since those are all prohibited by the Bible.

Do you think that Christians are responsible for the actions of other, possible adult, members of their family, and what duties do you think fall on them? Personally I would think it is a duty to say that you do not approve of their actions, or warn them that you will take action because of it (notify the victim of the theft if the person will not make it right). At the same time, if they don't listen and you've taken appropriate action to make sure no one is harmed, if they are independant adults I think that you have to let them take responsibility for their own actions.
    A pastor from Colorado known for his condemnation of homosexuality has said that any other pastor whose children are gay should resign, repent and recognise that 'there may be something very, very wrong with the pastor himself'.

I am in full support pastors who have gay children must resign . In my own view they have failed woefully in their responsibilities as both father and pastor to their families and should humbly resign. The Bible says Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it Proverbs 22 : 6. Even though a Christian may not be responsible for the actions of others but bringing up a child in the way of the Lord a Christian should be responsible for that. He shouldn't let them go astray.
    Comment>

It is a parent’s duty to nurture and guide your children. But that is all that a parent can do. We cannot force our children to comply to our wishes. Even if the parent is a pastor, we cannot hold him responsible for his children’s doings. He can only guide his children and also let them know the rights and wrongs. Every adult is responsible for their own actions. Nobody else can be held responsible for it. I would say, that if a pastor is held responsible for his children’s doings, then a pastor should be held responsible for everyone in his parish. Since it is his responsibility to guide the people in his parish.
      Comment>

While parents are responsible for nurturing and guiding their children while they are still unable to make decisions for themselves and in the age of minority, they are on their own at some point and should be responsible for their actions. Even then, a parent can go on looking after his/her children perhaps not out of a sense of duty but out of love and compassion. I don't think that a parent will feel right about betraying a child or dragging a child to prison to be punished without exhausting opportunities to bring about change and repentance. As for a pastor with a child that had been convicted of crimes or had been openly or scandalously gay, I honestly believe that he should honorably resign as he and his family can no longer serve as a good example to church members.
        Comment>

If a person don't teach his children or family member then he would be the responsible for the sins they make. If a person brought up his family and children in a good way with religious training but they still doing sins then it would be fault of individual. Every christian whether he is a pastor or not, he has religious responsibilities. If you want to be blessed by God then you would have to teach the lessons by God to others. This is just my opinion but each and everyone has his own thoughts.
          Comment>

This is quite a tough one. I think it may depend on the religion, but I could be supportive of the resignation of pastors who have gay children. But at the same time, they should not fail the obligations of being a father for their homosexual son. Yes, it's looked down on in the bible, but God also said to love one another and that we should not judge people. Jesus hung out with prostitutes, criminals, and other types of people that we would claim to be a negative influence, but he changed all of their lives and didn't treat them as if they don't belong in this world.
            Comment>

Originally posted by prodigalson View Post
              This is quite a tough one. I think it may depend on the religion, but I could be supportive of the resignation of pastors who have gay children. But at the same time, they should not fail the obligations of being a father for their homosexual son. Yes, it's looked down on in the bible, but God also said to love one another and that we should not judge people. Jesus hung out with prostitutes, criminals, and other types of people that we would claim to be a negative influence, but he changed all of their lives and didn't treat them as if they don't belong in this world.
              I agree with you. One does not help change a heart by repudiating. And all of us, being sinners, shouldn't judge anyone. Specially if it's not even our family. People struggle and battle with demons in silence and we don't have the slightest idea what it's like or what they've been through
              Comment>

Here is God's requirement for an elder:

He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? (1 Timothy 3:4,5)

It seems from this that having children who are living in any sin, not just homosexuality, would disqualify a man from being a pastor.
                Clyde Herrin's Blog
                Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                  Here is God's requirement for an elder:

He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? (1 Timothy 3:4,5)

It seems from this that having children who are living in any sin, not just homosexuality, would disqualify a man from being a pastor.
                  The question that raises is that at what point do someone's offspring stop being children? If they have married, doesn't God say that a man puts aside his parents to cleave to his wife? If they move out, then how much is the parent still responsible? Was the father of the prodigal son responsible for the actions of his wayward child?

Personally I would say that once they have reach the age of choice and are capable of making their own decisions regarding salvation and sin, whether or not a pastor's offspring is living in sin should no longer affect whether or not the pastor remains a pastor. It might affect it if the pastor endorses the sin, but otherwise it is a matter for the family.
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap