A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Wearing a cross

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing a cross

In some groups of Christianity, wearing a cross or crucifix is a normal way to show respect or to indicate Christian faith. I have never really thought about it, but there's an argument blowing up online in several places that debate whether wearing a cross is blasphemous. There is another group saying that because fashion has co-opted the symbol, wearing a cross is now adornment rather than faith and so inappropriate.

I'd love to get some views from others on this, as it isn't something I'd ever really thought about in depth.

I don't think it is wrong to wear a cross. Just don't pray to it.
    Last edited by Faber; 04-28-2017, 05:37 PM.
    Comment>

I don't usually wear a cross or any religious item. I don't feel comfortable wearing them and then sinning. Because I believe that we all sin, we do get angry, criticize others etc. So I prefer not to wear anything.
      Comment>

There are also debates about the recognition of the cross as a symbol of Christianity as some quarters claim that it was initially used in pagan practices. Personally, my being a Christian is not tied to any symbol, including the cross. Otherwise, I would be guilty of idolatry. I don't wear a cross as a jewelry or for anything that has to do with my faith. I know that some people wear them or those mini rosaries with a crucified image in them. While I respect them for being open about their religious belief, I don't believe in wearing such symbol to prove that I am a Christian. God knows what is in my heart and I don't need to convince fellow human beings and myself that I am a true Christian. As for others who use the cross as a fashion accessory, I can't really judge their action to be blasphemous unless they start talking against God and what Jesus Christ did on the cross.
        Comment>

Wearing a cross might invite questions from people curious about its significance. That might be preferable to obtrusively trying to evangelise somebody who doesn't want to be evangelised.
          Comment>

I have heard several different arguments, including the ones mentioned. I have also heard people say that a cross is fine. They do take issue with a crucifix though. They say that in showing Jesus still on the cross, it is a denial of the fact that he arose. I guess people have opinions about everything, especially when it comes to religion or religious symbols.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a cross, personally. I'd pray about it if I thought it was an issue.
            Comment>

Wearing a cross might bring opportunities for sharing why a person Is wearing it -- so your life needs to reflect Christ. The same thing might apply to car bumper stickers as well. If you're going to put one on your car, you should make sure your driving habits reflect Christ. :)
              Comment>

I live my life based on my faith and my principles, and if i'm not offending nor affecting anyone negatively then i will not care what other people think of me, if you chose to wear the cross to indicate your faith, then so be it, but i do agree that nowadays a lot of people wear it just for the sake of it.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Zero View Post
                  I live my life based on my faith and my principles, and if i'm not offending nor affecting anyone negatively then i will not care what other people think of me, if you chose to wear the cross to indicate your faith, then so be it, but i do agree that nowadays a lot of people wear it just for the sake of it.
                  I heard of one woman who wanted to know, "What's that little man doing on there?"
                  Comment>

I've got a cross neckles -- but it's an empty cross -- Because we have a Risen Savior -- no longer on the cross. There are those who Prefer to wear one with Jesus Christ still on it, to remind them what He went through while on the cross. But "What's that little man doing on there?" --oh my -- yes, a witnessing 'tool'. What a wonderful opportunity to share Christ.

Comment>

There will always be discussions, arguments, criticisms - you name it - when it comes to anything to do with religion. There is only one God, one Father and so we really are all saying the same thing. Think of it this way: If you are a father and you have ten children; won't they all have different ways of communicating with you? Is only one way right or are they all right in their own way? Some will show you their love in one way while others show you in other ways. There is no right or wrong in all of this. I just find it funny that as Christians we are some of the most judgmental people in the universe and yet we preach the opposite! Go figure!
                      Comment>

Yes, there is only One God -- the Godhead / God the Father, Jesus Christ his Son and the Holy Spirit.

As a parent - I've had four kids -- we spoke the same verbal language so we all understood what was being said. All of us Do have different personalities -- within the family. As they were growing up, we all went to the same church - - worshipped the same God -- and we learned from John 14:6 that "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man (woman , children) come to the Father, but by / through Me". That is Jesus Christ speaking.

Yes, there are Lots of ways to show love -- our words, actions -- but sometimes our words need correcting as do our actions. In all we do, do to the glory of God.

God's Word has us communicating with Him through reading His Word and praying.

There's the Gospel unto Salvation. 1 Corinthians 15:1 - 5 "I declare unto you the Gospel.......by which also you are saved.......that Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures.....and that He was buried and that He rose again the third day, according to the Scriptures." He was seen by many after His resurrection and before He ascended back into heaven.

Romans 10:9-10 "That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved, For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

Unfortunately people Can be judgmental -- maybe because God's Word tells us that upon salvation, the Holy Spirit comes to indwell the person and makes us new people inwardly. We become alive spiritually and That will make a difference in a person. There are the fruits of the Spirit -- love, joy, peace, etc. -- those qualities Should be present in a born-again believer -- if they are Not , then......... ..... but Not to the extent of having a critical attitude towards another person. Everyone has problems in their lives because we're all human. And there are Lots of people who believe in God -- but they haven't accepted Him as their Savior. There's a difference between 'head knowledge' about God and 'heart acceptance Of' Him. And believers Are to grow in the grace and knowledge of God. It needs to reach into our heart. That's where inner change takes place.

Sometimes people look at 'Christians' and observe us going to church and back home and see absolutely No difference in us. 'we' still go to the neighborhood bar to hang out - or are still a 'bit too friendly' with the neighbor. If 'church' doesn't appear to make a difference in us -- why bother? Is their thought. Or 'we' gossip / bad-mouth people / use questionable language as much as everyone else does. We yell at our kids / spouse, etc. So -- is the Holy Spirit Really indwelling us?
                        Comment>

I believe that wearing a cross in neither here nor there as far as I am concerned. If someone wishes to wear it in order to show that they are religious, then so be it but I believe that wearing it only brings a symbolic effect. Merely wearing a cross will in no way affect the chance of someone going to hell or to heaven in one way or the other.
                          Comment>

When I was in teens, I used to wear a cross. It was more like a fashion statement than a religious symbol. I had all sorts of cross, from wood, to copper, silver and gold, which I proudly wore. I even had ear rings with cross. As I grew older I lost interest in wearing cross. In a short time, cross because just an outdated fashion accessory for me. When I was young I never understood the true value of cross. As I stepped into adulthood, I began to see cross as a religious symbol. These days I wear a cross when I am in trouble.
                            Comment>

What kind of trouble do you get Into. Hopefully it's not too often.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap