A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Thinking About Sins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking About Sins

Whenever my thoughts shift to something I must not and don't want to think about, it simply doesn't go away. The worst thing about this is that I can feel God's presence heavily during these moments. This is when my head gets very cluttered. I am thinking about a sin while trying to stop thinking about it, I can feel God's presence within, and I am thinking about his judgment. Not the final judgment, but the current one. Does he understand I am actually trying? Of course, he understands but is he displeased anyways? Should I be trying harder?

Am I that weak, that some thoughts can bring me to my knees?

Originally posted by Julian View Post
    Whenever my thoughts shift to something I must not and don't want to think about, it simply doesn't go away. The worst thing about this is that I can feel God's presence heavily during these moments. This is when my head gets very cluttered. I am thinking about a sin while trying to stop thinking about it, I can feel God's presence within, and I am thinking about his judgment. Not the final judgment, but the current one. Does he understand I am actually trying? Of course, he understands but is he displeased anyways? Should I be trying harder?

Am I that weak, that some thoughts can bring me to my knees?
    Hi Julian,

I think you'll find you'll never satisfy God's holy standards (this doesn't mean you do not obey God's commandments). You do not need to answer here by explaining what it is you feel convicted by (your sins), but this may be what Christians call conviction of conscience by the Holy Spirit. If you're reading Scripture and beginning to feel and especially think of these convictions, congratulations! The Scriptures are writ for you. It is important to apply them to you. Do not ignore the promptings or convictions, and do not try to not think about the pink elephant in the room. If this is done by the Holy Spirit, the convictions will only strengthen. It is important to understand what the Holy Spirit is bringing to your attention. Personally, I do this through introspection, or what some may call Christian meditation. Our meditation does not promote clearing or blanking your mind or thought life. It is reading God's word, and thinking about His laws, His attributes, such as His holy nature, His glory, Justice, Wrath, Mercy, Grace, Love etc. Repent from your sins, learn from them, and acknowledge you're forgiven by trusting in Christ. If you experience more convictions after repenting, don't hesitate to reexamine yourself, perhaps there is a greater underlying issue the Holy Spirit is bringing to your attention?

You cannot succeed even in trying harder, you'll fail. Nobody can live up to God's perfect standard. This is why the Law exists, it is killing the sinful man in you. The law is a mirror that when held up to you reflects your sinful nature, and testifies to and for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus already paid for your sins through the Cross (Atonement), and Has experienced His Father's wrath on your behalf (Propitiation at the Cross) through every stripe, nail, piercing, and Crucifixion. You need to believe, brother, trust in Christ that you're forgiven because He died for you. Learn to love the Holy Spirit properly, God is working on your behalf. In some ways, you're experiencing a house cleaning for a new resident. You have been adopted into the son ship of God's family, and He will discipline you (chastise) for your sins. This is for your betterment, and is better than God's wrath. This is to prepare you for the end, where you'll stand before a mighty God, a Holy God, a Glorious God, The Creator of the universe. I can only imagine, standing before our Beloved God, and having the floor fan open beneath my feet, and seeing all the starry firmament below. Who could stand before Him and not Tremble in Awe?

It is normal Julian, to feel more "filthy" or "sinful" the closer you become when approaching the Holy God.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Thank you, William. I didn't realize this, I am glad you made me aware. I thought that pushing away something I can't push away was going to help me, but it was God who was going to help me. I now realize, that had I turned my attention to God and put my trust in Christ, fully, no sin would last long. May they disappear along the sinful man inside me.

I have little free time, but I hope to be able to spend more time reading the Bible.

Thank you again for helping me help myself.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Julian View Post
        I have little free time, but I hope to be able to spend more time reading the Bible.
        May I suggest, reading one single paragraph a day to begin in the morning while having coffee? For example, as you'll probably read this now:

James 8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. 11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
        Pull a verse with consideration of its context and memorize it:
        • James 2:10 10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.

Go about your business throughout the day. From time to time recall this verse. Chew on it. If you're convicted about something throughout the day, recall the verse, see if it applies to the conviction.

Come home and maybe write down your thoughts on the verse. Your journal will one day be a prized possession, I guarantee you, if you read your own writing with the literary criticism you probably hold to Scripture, you'll learn a lot.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

It is like the cliche of if someone tells you, "Don't think about pink elephants!" Guess what pops into your head?

I am still learning my way around the scriptures, but something I read a month ago that brought be comfort is that fear is not of God (this is a feeling I experience when I think of my failed moments). Yes, He knows when we are trying. No, we will never be perfect, but that is part of what makes His grace so powerful and so special. I think it is important to keep trying to improve, and we all have moments where we fear or even berate ourselves.

I think it is like learning a foreign language. The more we study, the more we put it to practice, the easier it gets. Just keep letting God guide you forward and He will see you through it.
          Comment>

It definitely happens to me a lot of time on my daily basis because I am currently going to school and there are several bullies in my classroom, unfortunately, they're my classmates and every single time they try to do something ridiculous trying to make others laugh, I just start having really bad thoughts about them in my mind, at the same moment I start feeling like something is trying to make me stop thinking that way, I do not really know what it might be, but based on your situation I personally think it's God telling me to leave it behind and not pay them any attention, it is such a great thing that he's always there, even when you're thinking, God is simply AMAZING.
            Comment>

He really is! I read a thing once (not a biblical quote) that really stuck with me...our initial reaction, internally, is what society has conditioned us to believe is the right way to act, but when we squash that down, step back, and really think it over...that second response is what we are really made of.

I've been in countless situations where I feel wronged where my impulse is to take action against the infringement, but then I step back...is it really worth all the anger over something as mundane as getting cut off in traffic? Those circumstances won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

That is a minor example, of course. Keep in mind that you won't be in that class forever, and a kind answer turns away anger. I know it's tough, but eventually bullies get bored when they no longer get a response. Hang in there!
              Comment>

If something brings you to your knees... that's the best position for you to be in as in that place you can only look up, and God is right there waiting for you to start talking with Him. Sin does lower us, which is a good thing. When we are broken, hurt, sinning and ashamed... that's when God is there to hold us up and help us stand. If we stand for Him, He will support us and before we know it, His reality is closer to our own, and it becomes a bit easier to avoid that which we formerly couldn't avoid.
                Comment>

Originally posted by whysewserious View Post
                  He really is! I read a thing once (not a biblical quote) that really stuck with me...our initial reaction, internally, is what society has conditioned us to believe is the right way to act, but when we squash that down, step back, and really think it over...that second response is what we are really made of.

I've been in countless situations where I feel wronged where my impulse is to take action against the infringement, but then I step back...is it really worth all the anger over something as mundane as getting cut off in traffic? Those circumstances won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

That is a minor example, of course. Keep in mind that you won't be in that class forever, and a kind answer turns away anger. I know it's tough, but eventually bullies get bored when they no longer get a response. Hang in there!
                  That's such a good quote, I will definitely copy it down and save it for myself. I have thought about doing many things in my life, most of those things may not be good things, but thank God I have the ability to think before acting instead of acting before thinking. There are many people in the world who do not think twice before doing things and that's one of the reasons why they're in jail, dead or probably alone with nobody to talk to, that's why our life depends on the decisions that we make in our life, God bless.
                  Comment>

I read the testimony of one man who said he was for years, trying to stop lying but he'd find himself lying anyway. He'd feel guilty after he'd told the lie, pray for forgiveness and promise that he'd never lie again. But it kept happening. So he decided to start praying, asking God to help him break the habit. He got the help he needed. Six months later, he didn't lie that much and by the end of that year he hardly told any lies. When something seems too hard for you, don't give up, take it the LORD IN PRAYER . . . Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
                    Comment>

I think telling God that you have the desire to right a certain behavior is a HUGE first step. We have to acknowledge a problem exists before we can fix it. I think it is also important to realize that we are flawed beings, too. That is not an excuse, but when we make mistakes to not let them drag us down. Repent for it, and keep trying. God knows where our hearts are, and He will always be there to guide us, if we let Him.
                      Comment>

Most of my students were comprised of those adults who had no connection with a truly good life with Christ but that of the world. A world of depravity, sex, drugs, alcohol and everything that goes with them.
                        The hardest thing to do is to bring someone to the point (after surrendering to Christ the Savior) of forgiving themselves for their past. I do know that pain and how much energy is pulled from a person when he or she is mentally being drug down to the very mires that they were pulled from.

It is hard for them to understand how one so pure and wonderful could forgive and accept them when at every moment they are reminding themselves of their deepest secrets and regrets. For me, it was Romans 8:38-39 that helped me to start my journey and for others it was John 3:16 and still others 1 Cor. 10:13 or whatever verse they are led to.

One simplistic and very childish trick I impose upon new but very roughed up believers is this: When it feels like Satan himself is imposing your past upon you, tell him "it is good that my past is being revealed to me, now allow me to remind you of your future".
                        No, it "ain't" scripture like "for it is written" but for them, it works and works well.

God Bless.........Bobby.
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap