A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Individual Destiny Vs. Corporated Vision and Destiny

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual Destiny Vs. Corporated Vision and Destiny

I was reading an article online at it was talking about the difference between American Christianity verse the Bible. It talked about how most preachers talked about finding your individual destiny, purpose, and vision for God. Then is talked about how the Old Testament put the emphasis on the nation of Israel and the New Testament on the church. Every promise in the Bible given by God was for the community as a whole instead of as individuals. I was wondering what you thought about that. Is American Christianity a little more absorbed in our personal walk with God than the church as a whole or do you need to find your path with God to contribute to the community as a whole? Is this one of those instances where we don't see the forest for the trees?

Hello LeapOfFaith,

Lets just say that American Christianity or should I say the wolf pack is spreading across other parts of the world. In general, apart from our eternal salvation, the only individualist "destiny" I can think of is knowing what our own gifts are to contribute to the great commission (the mission of the catholic church) Personally, I think we should be more focused on God's revealed will through Scripture rather than trying to find out his hidden will for each of us apart from eternal salvation. I think some things open the door to exploit, and overall I see individualist ideology pertaining to destiny held captive to many wolves that try to pass off what the individual wants as though it was from God. Example: God wants you to have this, or God wants you to do this. If it isn't revealed through Scripture, it is hidden, and someone may exploit your self serving tendency.

Our Creator’s revealed will tells us those things He considers inherently good. For example, God tells us not to bear false witness (Ex. 20:16) because He loves the truth. It is important to note that, unlike the Lord’s hidden will, men and women routinely violate His revealed will. When we sin, we act contrary to God’s will of precept. Also, even though wickedness transgresses the Lord’s preceptive will, evil is permitted according to God’s hidden will (Isa. 45:7), which is always done (Job 42:2). But this does not mean He loves transgression in and of itself, for His precepts tell us that He hates wickedness. Mysteriously, the Lord in His hidden decrees often ordains something that He hates according to His preceptive will. God does this not because the evil deed is desirable in itself, but because He uses sin to bring about the higher benefit of our ultimate good and His final glory (Rom. 8:28; 9:14–24). And He does this without ever being responsible or liable for evil (Job 42; Luke 22:22; James 1:13).

Today’s passage tells us we must live our lives by the Lord’s revealed will. Scripture is to guide us in our choice of spouse, vocation, place of residence, and so on. Of course, the Word of God does not tell me whether I should be a doctor or a lawyer, but it does tell me the Lord has given me certain gifts (1 Cor. 12; Eph. 4:1–16) and to seek out wise counselors (Prov. 11:14). Therefore, I should search out my gifts and ask godly friends where my talents lie to direct my choice of vocation. Similarly, the Bible does not tell me whether I should marry Sally or Sue, but Proverbs 31:10–31 describes the godly wife, and so I should look for someone that embodies such qualities. Single women should be this “Proverbs 31 woman” and look for a man worthy of such a noble wife. In any decision, we will not go far wrong if we endeavor to make it according to God’s revealed will.

Coram Deo

If we have diligently searched the Scriptures and discover that we have several legitimate options for a spouse, vocation, place to live, and so on, then we are to choose the one we like best. This is one way the Bible sets us free. God sets certain parameters, but within these boundaries there are often many godly paths we can take. If we have earnestly studied Scripture, we can choose among many solid options without worrying about transgressing His will. - Ligioner Ministries
    God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
      Hello LeapOfFaith,

Lets just say that American Christianity or should I say the wolf pack is spreading across other parts of the world. In general, apart from our eternal salvation, the only individualist "destiny" I can think of is knowing what our own gifts are to contribute to the great commission (the mission of the catholic church) Personally, I think we should be more focused on God's revealed will through Scripture rather than trying to find out his hidden will for each of us apart from eternal salvation. I think some things open the door to exploit, and overall I see individualist ideology pertaining to destiny held captive to many wolves that try to pass off what the individual wants as though it was from God. Example: God wants you to have this, or God wants you to do this. If it isn't revealed through Scripture, it is hidden, and someone may exploit your self serving tendency.

God bless,
      William
      Thanks for posting, your explanation went in more in depth in explaining the difference. I think you worded well that knowing our own gifts to contribute to the Christian community is important. It's really hard to get away from our self serving tendencies when you're being told in church that God wants you toe have this and that. But being a Christian means being discerning but it can be hard to discern a bad church from a good one if you've never experienced a good one. My mom had a friend who grew up in one of those churches where they spoke tongues and had massive 'healing'. Then my mom offered to take her to a Calvary Chapel Church and it was revolutionary for her to hear the pastor talk out of the bible. Before that, she thought she was in a good church until she was actually in one.
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap