A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

What do you think about people who do not respect other's religion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do you think about people who do not respect other's religion?

    Well, the title is explicit enough, it's a very clear question, we all know there are many people who are literally against every religion related activity/thought and yes, it's a real shame but, what do you think about them?

  • #2
    That depends on what you mean by respect. Of course, I respect anyone's right to have another religion or to believe whatever they want. But if I believe that there is only one God, and only one path to salvation, as I do, then it wouldn't make sense for me to respect other religions that are wrong. If I am completely certain that two plus two equals five, and you believe that it equals six, I might be able to still respect you as a person but I won't respect your mathematical skills. It's much the same when it comes to religion, I think. I can still respect someone as a person, even if they believe in a religion that I believe to be wrong, but I cannot respect their choice of a religion or respect their opinion when it comes to religious questions.

    That does not mean that I have to treat them with disrespect or condemnation. Although I may be quite certain that they will be condemned unless they reconsider their beliefs, condemnation is not my task, and a condemning spirit will simply make me less effective as a witness. After all, you don't reach someone by telling them that they are stupid or that they are going to hell because they still have time to change the path that they are on, and my wish would be that they would do just that, and my hope would be that I might be able to help them along the way.

    Perhaps you are referring to those who do not respect anyone's religion, or religion in general, as there are many of those around. While it seems to me that a true atheist wouldn't care whether or not I believe in God, there are nevertheless many whom I describe as evangelical atheists, these people people who feel compelled to win others over the atheism. I grew up in a Christian home so even before I became a Christian, I was not an atheist, so I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine why an atheist would feel threatened by religion. It bothers me when someone does not believe because I know that the future for them won't be good, and that pains me, but why would an atheist care whether or not I believe in God? If there is no heaven, then I'm no going there whether I believe in it or not, and if there is no hell, I'm not going there either. But if there is a God, and there is a Satan, and there is a heaven, and there is a hell, then they are going to be there whether or not you believe in them or not. No, I don't understand that.
    Comment>

    • #3
      Ken Anderson brought up so excellent points. Though I would have to say that there are even sects of Christianity, or what I feel is pseudo-Christianity that I don't respect. There are certain cults that are hiding under the guise of religion to justify marring multiple young teenager, even children, or who sacrifice animals to a pagan deity. The bible openly says to not tolerate those who practice witchcraft but if you listen to all the 'New-Age" nonsense of Wicca. Wicca is like a religion for witches. I can't exactly tolerate that around my family nor do I respect it because they are either worshiping Satan or a demon. Then there are Satanist who actually worship Satan. I won't support having it in public spaces when presented. Freedom of speech allows me to fight to not have something within the ears of my family.

      I think that there needs to be an understanding about what tolerance is in society. It means that we don't burn people alive or tie them to a log and hold them under water, it means that we don't prosecute people for their religion as long as they aren't breaking any laws. But that does not mean, that I have to agree to allow it to be taught in schools, in public places, or that I have to allow people who practice it buy from my business. I draw a line at the social expectation that I have to be 'okay' with everything and be one of those 'modern' Christians who's cool with everything. Tolerating people doesn't mean agreeing or even liking people who practice other religions.
      Comment>

      • #4
        There are a lot of religions I do not respect because they are just so wrong. That doesn't nessisarily mean I don't respect the person. Maybe if they are running the religion I wouldn't respect them, but for the common person it is too easy to be deceived.

        Comment>

        • #5
          I believe that the Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong theologically; so wrong, in fact, that I fear their differences are salvational. Yet, I have met with the Jehovah's Witnesses several times, have worked with Jehovah's Witnesses, and have known Jehovah's Witnesses personally, and I don't know that I have come across a more dedicated, sincere group of people than they are. I don't know about their leadership or founders, but rank and file Jehovah's Witnesses are good people who are living their faith in ways that few Christians are willing to do. I do respect that. I respect their dedication, and their willingness to dedicate such a large portion of their lives to what they believe to be right. There is a lot to respect there, and I wish that more Christians were willing to live their faith as the Jehovah's Witnesses do. Yet they are very wrong, in my opinion, and I am afraid that sincerity and dedication are not enough.
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by Ken Anderson View Post
            I believe that the Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong theologically; so wrong, in fact, that I fear their differences are salvational.
            And I share your emphasis on soteriology.

            God bless,
            William
            Comment>

            • #7
              We are not expected to respect false religions. Though you may not think much of a religion that doesn't mean the followers of said religion should be treated with disdain. Our duty as Christians is to guide people to the truth and if they aren't willing to change we should continue praying for them because that's what Jesus did even when He was crucified. He didn't give up on the people He was laying His life down for. Our Master didn't give up on us, we shouldn't give up on our brothers and sisters either even if they are on the wrong path but still stubbornly believe they are headed the right way.
              Comment>

              • #8
                I have no problem with respecting other people's religious beliefs, but what I take issue with is lack of respect for mine. I hate it when people tell me to stop talking about religion or faith, and then they turn right around and continue haranguing people with their own beliefs. It's wrong to expect others to fall into line and give respect to someone who won't give it back in turn. I like what Smithee said about guiding people to the truth while still loving and respecting those people. We don't have to respect the religion itself, but respecting the person is part of what God expects from us as His children.
                Comment>

                • #9
                  I respect anyone and everyone's belief as long as they are willing to have healthy intellectual conversations. I grew up a Christian, but also willing to be accepting of anybody. I see a lot of Christians who will immediately try to denounce someones faith and that to me is missing the entire point altogether. I like learning about other peoples faith and how they were bought up to think that way.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    I used to be a Catholic but my paternal relatives are mostly Christians. When I reached college, they tried to win me over to their faith by showing me pamphlets with pictures of the Pope with horns and tails and some articles against Mary. They even belittled the Catholic University I was enrolled in. I was young and I didn't have the confidence to speak out and defend Catholicism but inwardly, I detested their blatant disrespect of my then religion. As they were blurting out the reasons why Catholicism was a cursed religion, the Mystery Babylon, my mind was resisting every word that I heard from them. If they say I shouldn't confess to a priest but tell my sins directly to God, my mind would say it's because your church leaders don't have the authority to hear confessions. It was a wrong way to convince people to turn away from a religion. It would take more than a decade later for me to be converted. A Christian church member prayed over me when I was so distraught about my son failing an important exam and she did it so spontaneously like she does it every day. I felt God that day and that hour. That simple act was a turning point. As Christians, it's our duty to disciple others. I believe that 'blasphemous' or disrespectful statements against a certain religion is the quickest way to turn people away.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ken Anderson View Post
                      That depends on what you mean by respect. Of course, I respect anyone's right to have another religion or to believe whatever they want. But if I believe that there is only one God, and only one path to salvation, as I do, then it wouldn't make sense for me to respect other religions that are wrong. If I am completely certain that two plus two equals five, and you believe that it equals six, I might be able to still respect you as a person but I won't respect your mathematical skills. It's much the same when it comes to religion, I think. I can still respect someone as a person, even if they believe in a religion that I believe to be wrong, but I cannot respect their choice of a religion or respect their opinion when it comes to religious questions.

                      That does not mean that I have to treat them with disrespect or condemnation. Although I may be quite certain that they will be condemned unless they reconsider their beliefs, condemnation is not my task, and a condemning spirit will simply make me less effective as a witness. After all, you don't reach someone by telling them that they are stupid or that they are going to hell because they still have time to change the path that they are on, and my wish would be that they would do just that, and my hope would be that I might be able to help them along the way.

                      Perhaps you are referring to those who do not respect anyone's religion, or religion in general, as there are many of those around. While it seems to me that a true atheist wouldn't care whether or not I believe in God, there are nevertheless many whom I describe as evangelical atheists, these people people who feel compelled to win others over the atheism. I grew up in a Christian home so even before I became a Christian, I was not an atheist, so I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine why an atheist would feel threatened by religion. It bothers me when someone does not believe because I know that the future for them won't be good, and that pains me, but why would an atheist care whether or not I believe in God? If there is no heaven, then I'm no going there whether I believe in it or not, and if there is no hell, I'm not going there either. But if there is a God, and there is a Satan, and there is a heaven, and there is a hell, then they are going to be there whether or not you believe in them or not. No, I don't understand that.

                      I highly agree with you, there are many people who basically start big and really strong arguments just because they do not like other people's thinking and such things, I personally think that everybody should respect other people's thoughts and their way of doing things, people should start worrying about their own business instead of paying attention to what other people do or stop doing, that's a really bad thing, especially when coming from a religious person.
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Serpardum View Post
                        There are a lot of religions I do not respect because they are just so wrong. That doesn't nessisarily mean I don't respect the person. Maybe if they are running the religion I wouldn't respect them, but for the common person it is too easy to be deceived.
                        Well buddy, I personally think the fact you disrespect the religion means you disrespect the person at the same time, I kinda understand your point, but you did not really explain it properly, I think you just meant to say that you basically disagree with those religions you think definitely are wrong and whatnot, please do not say you do not respect them because it may be a little bit offensive to most people, god bless you.
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          I do not respect satanism. If that offends you, so be it.

                          A lot of people tell me they don't respect christianity. That does not offend me in the least.

                          If you are offended because someone does not respect your religion then perhaps you should take a closeclook look at the teachings of your religion.
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            I'm getting some sense that there is a crossover here between two words and their meanings. Tolerance and respect are two totally different concepts and demand the separation that they deserve by their definition.

                            We are told to be "tolerant" of all peoples and faith which only demands that we be aware of it, put up with it, and live with it. I can be tolerant of all manners of faith or lack of it but I do NOT have to respect / admire any particular tradition of faith.

                            Now, let's go around the corner on the definitions. Can I respect / admire a person or persons because of the way they celebrate their faith? Absolutely. I have a lot of honor for people who show no double mindedness and have the conviction it takes to defend and promote their ideas in terms of worship but again, I do not have to respect but I must tolerate the idea which is being promoted.

                            So far as the topic at hand, "what do I think about people who do not respect other religions" ? That's fine with me as long as they have the capability to tolerate and allow me to worship God and celebrate the birth, crucifixion and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ in the manner that I have been led by the Holy Spirit to believe.
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bobby Cole View Post
                              I'm getting some sense that there is a crossover here between two words and their meanings. Tolerance and respect are two totally different concepts and demand the separation that they deserve by their definition.

                              We are told to be "tolerant" of all peoples and faith which only demands that we be aware of it, put up with it, and live with it. I can be tolerant of all manners of faith or lack of it but I do NOT have to respect / admire any particular tradition of faith.

                              Now, let's go around the corner on the definitions. Can I respect / admire a person or persons because of the way they celebrate their faith? Absolutely. I have a lot of honor for people who show no double mindedness and have the conviction it takes to defend and promote their ideas in terms of worship but again, I do not have to respect but I must tolerate the idea which is being promoted.

                              So far as the topic at hand, "what do I think about people who do not respect other religions" ? That's fine with me as long as they have the capability to tolerate and allow me to worship God and celebrate the birth, crucifixion and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ in the manner that I have been led by the Holy Spirit to believe.
                              Would love to know your position on the use of Religion as used in the Constitution, given the framer's beliefs (author's intent), with respect to the historical context. I hear religion being thrown around pretty sloppily. I personally doubt that America's framers had in mind Satanism, especially considering that 2/3rds of those soldiers that gave their lives on the battle field of the Revolutionary war were Calvinist. It is no wonder that America's government imitates the checks and balances of Presbyterianism. My point being is that our elected officials are not our Monarch in the sense that we follow their beliefs, but that they represent the people, and it so happens that at the time of framing America that the majority of peoples were Calvinist. So I would think Presbyterianism would in some way necessary to consider when attempting to understand our forefathers for all their intents.

                              Personally, I doubt Islam was believed a true Religion by our forefathers, considering they wrote that Islam was incompatible with the West. And it just so happens that the United States Marine Corps was birthed to combat Islam. Why would our forefathers want to frame a government that opened the doors to an ideology that they found incompatible with the very government they were framing? They would of violated the First amendment with just the formation of the U.S. Marine Corps. My personal thoughts, I think Religion and Denomination under the umbrella of Christianity could be used synonymously without error when understanding the First Amendment.

                              God bless,
                              William
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap