A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

I Don't Believe The Way YOU Do!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Believe The Way YOU Do!!

Seriously, a guy stomped up to me one day while I was standing at my job, working, and that's what he yelled at me. Scared the hide off me, he was yelling so loud. "I don't believe the way YOU do!!" He glared at me angrily, and I suspected he was talking about religious beliefs, so I just calmed down and answered him by saying, "how do you know?" His reply? "Um, uh, uh, um, well... uh, um." After a few moments of listening to him stutter, I asked him, "what do you believe?" He said, "I believe Jesus was born of a virgin." I said, "I believe that too." He looked astonished. Then he said, "I believe Jesus died and rose again." I answered, "yup. Same here." Then he told me he believed Jesus went to Heaven to sit by the right hand of the Father." I told him, "that's great. That's what I believe too." By that time, he was no longer angry, but looked shocked instead. He tried one more... "I believe Jesus is the Son of God." I said, "congratulations, we believe the exact same things." He then told me that he was raised Lutheran. I said, "okay, me too. Well, more or less. I was raised Lutheran AND Baptist." He gave me a stunned look and told me he'd thought I was Catholic. (Why do people assume Catholics are way out there? I don't get it.) I told him I wasn't Catholic, but I had some family members who were and some good friends as well. Catholics are great people with great faith in God.

The problem here is that he didn't know me very well. All he knew was that I didn't drink, do drugs, or swear. That's it. That's all he knew. He took that little bit of information and just ran with it. Okay, let's break this down a bit... Catholics don't drink? Um, yes they do. It's called communion wine. Baptists are the ones who don't drink. I imagine there are some Catholics out there who do drugs. There are addicts in every denomination and this problem can affect true believers from every walk of life. And yes, I never swear. I had all of that nonsense worked out of me as a young child. My mother would wash my mouth out with soap if she merely THOUGHT I'd said a bad word. I've known some Catholics who could cuss a sailor out of the sea. Does that make them any less Catholic? No. Does it make them any less of a believer? Not really, though God does hear our every word and we should talk nicely... but that's just MY personal opinion.

If this guy stomped up to you and shouted at you like he did to me, what would you have done? He was a big dude and I'm not even 5 feet tall, so yes, I was intimidated, but hey, He that is in me is stronger than he that is in the world. Amen?

Originally posted by Novelangel View Post
    Seriously, a guy stomped up to me one day while I was standing at my job, working, and that's what he yelled at me. Scared the hide off me, he was yelling so loud. "I don't believe the way YOU do!!" He glared at me angrily, and I suspected he was talking about religious beliefs, so I just calmed down and answered him by saying, "how do you know?" His reply? "Um, uh, uh, um, well... uh, um." After a few moments of listening to him stutter, I asked him, "what do you believe?" He said, "I believe Jesus was born of a virgin." I said, "I believe that too." He looked astonished. Then he said, "I believe Jesus died and rose again." I answered, "yup. Same here." Then he told me he believed Jesus went to Heaven to sit by the right hand of the Father." I told him, "that's great. That's what I believe too." By that time, he was no longer angry, but looked shocked instead. He tried one more... "I believe Jesus is the Son of God." I said, "congratulations, we believe the exact same things." He then told me that he was raised Lutheran. I said, "okay, me too. Well, more or less. I was raised Lutheran AND Baptist." He gave me a stunned look and told me he'd thought I was Catholic. (Why do people assume Catholics are way out there? I don't get it.) I told him I wasn't Catholic, but I had some family members who were and some good friends as well. Catholics are great people with great faith in God.

The problem here is that he didn't know me very well. All he knew was that I didn't drink, do drugs, or swear. That's it. That's all he knew. He took that little bit of information and just ran with it. Okay, let's break this down a bit... Catholics don't drink? Um, yes they do. It's called communion wine. Baptists are the ones who don't drink. I imagine there are some Catholics out there who do drugs. There are addicts in every denomination and this problem can affect true believers from every walk of life. And yes, I never swear. I had all of that nonsense worked out of me as a young child. My mother would wash my mouth out with soap if she merely THOUGHT I'd said a bad word. I've known some Catholics who could cuss a sailor out of the sea. Does that make them any less Catholic? No. Does it make them any less of a believer? Not really, though God does hear our every word and we should talk nicely... but that's just MY personal opinion.

If this guy stomped up to you and shouted at you like he did to me, what would you have done? He was a big dude and I'm not even 5 feet tall, so yes, I was intimidated, but hey, He that is in me is stronger than he that is in the world. Amen?
    Hi Novelangel,

"I don't believe the way you do". My first thoughts were that he was accusing you of being holier than thou. Seems he may of been projecting on you.

Nice way to disarm the situation, a situation that may of escalated should you have taken a defensive or offensive posture towards his inappropriate approach.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Thank you, William. It was certainly startling when he did that. I wasn't sure at the time why he chose me to do this to, as there were a few other Christian people working in that shop as well, but maybe you have a point there, I don't know. I never tried to be in anyone's face with my faith, so it was a very weird experience to say the least. It was several years ago that it happened, but if I remember correctly, he was having a bad time with an ex of his who apparently was Catholic and had a few odd beliefs going on. Still, I can't understand why he thought all Catholics were cut from the same bolt of cloth. Ah well, sometimes people just assume to much, I think. That's where we can go wrong very quickly.
      Comment>

So, basically, a random guy just walked up to a random stranger and accused him of believing differently than him? Was there any context at all? Any reason for him to even suspect you believed a certain way? I mean, unless he belongs to a cult that has so few members that he would literally recognize every single one of them, how would he have any way of knowing or even suspecting absent any other context what you believe?
        Comment>

Originally posted by Pr2612 View Post
          So, basically, a random guy just walked up to a random stranger and accused him of believing differently than him? Was there any context at all? Any reason for him to even suspect you believed a certain way? I mean, unless he belongs to a cult that has so few members that he would literally recognize every single one of them, how would he have any way of knowing or even suspecting absent any other context what you believe?
          Well, we weren't random strangers. We were co-workers in the same company. I suspect he got his information through the rumor mill, because I acted differently than the majority of the crowd we worked with. There were other Christians working there as well, and they also received more than their fair share of negative attention just as I did. He disliked Catholicism and assumed that I was part of that belief system, which I'm not. I don't know what the man's motivation on that particular day was, except that he was angry with his ex-wife, who apparently was Catholic, and he was mad at anyone he believed to also be Catholic.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap