A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Have You Finished The Bible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have You Finished The Bible?

My mom read me the bible growing up and we finished it around the time I was in middle school. But it was a children's bible, so I was going to attempt to read the whole bible. My mom suggests reading the New Testament first and then the Old Testament but I kind of want to do the reverse and read the bible in order. I have a friend who is working on it but she simply picks a book and reads it in whatever order she feels like. Has anyone actually read the whole bible? How did you read it? Did you read it in order? New before Old? Randomly? Any advice?

Hi LeapOfFaith, I've read it front to back, NT first, and I have even read one of those One Year Bibles that gives you an OT reading, a NT reading, plus a reading from both Psalms and Proverbs each day for 365 days. I also have it on CD and have listened through the Bible more times than I have read through it as a result (since I used to listen to it when I was running and/or when I was driving).

You can follow the One Year Bible reading plan here, but I think it's far easier to just buy a One Year Bible because it's divided into 365 daily readings in the order of the reading plan (so you just read it cover to cover).

Oh, and if you want to listen instead of reading (or do both at the same time), there are many options for that as well, from a single voice to a dramatized, multi-voice, orchestrated version that includes things like real life sounds (ocean waves crashing, ox carts rolling, camp fires crackling, etc.) to help bring the text to life if you enjoy that sort of thing. Go here to check it out. You can listen online for free, or buy the translation and presentation style of your choice.

Yours and His,
    David
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

I have read through the entire Bible about three times, I think. I did it a little differently though, as I read from the New Testament and the Old at the same time. I would just read a chapter or two from each every day, and keep two bookmarks in my places. The great part about the Bible, is that no matter how many times you read through it, you never get bored with it. It's like there is always something new to catch your heart and spirit every time you open that Book. The thing to remember when trying to read the whole Bible, is this: Don't rush it. Just read at your own pace and enjoy it.
      Comment>

We had Bible studies as a kid, and I had to go to a Catholic school for Elementary, High School, and even College, so that's a theology class every year. But have I ever finished reading? Absolutely not. Don't get me wrong, I tried to, but I really couldn't do it simply because of the sheer volume of the text inside the Bible. Lots of stories, lots of morals, lots of chapters. Someone like me who can barely read the font and have to use glasses on regular books, well I couldn't read it for very long. I did learn a lot about the Bible from all those theology classes I mentioned. Gospels, saints, lots of things to learn for over 12 years of studying in a Catholic school I guess.
        Comment>

I have read through the Bible several times. I usually just start at Genesis and read straight through to the end of Revelation and then start over. I skim through some parts, such as the genealogies at the beginning of 1 Chronicles, and so I haven't actually read every word of the Bible.

In addition to reading through the Bible I sometimes spend time studying a specific book or topic. This is in addition to my daily reading, not a substitute for it.
          Clyde Herrin's Blog
          Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
            Hi LeapOfFaith, I've read it front to back, NT first, and I have even read one of those One Year Bibles that gives you an OT reading, a NT reading, plus a reading from both Psalms and Proverbs each day for 365 days. I also have it on CD and have listened through the Bible more times than I have read through it as a result (since I used to listen to it when I was running and/or when I was driving).

You can follow the One Year Bible reading plan here, but I think it's far easier to just buy a One Year Bible because it's divided into 365 daily readings in the order of the reading plan (so you just read it cover to cover).

Oh, and if you want to listen instead of reading (or do both at the same time), there are many options for that as well, from a single voice to a dramatized, multi-voice, orchestrated version that includes things like real life sounds (ocean waves crashing, ox carts rolling, camp fires crackling, etc.) to help bring the text to life if you enjoy that sort of thing. Go here to check it out. You can listen online for free, or buy the translation and presentation style of your choice.

Yours and His,
            David
            I was also going to suggest the One Year Bible. It really is about 10 minutes a day - and if you don't want to invest, there are free printables that allow you to check off what you've done.

I went to a Christian HS, where we studied the entire NT in depth over the 4 years of Bible class. Then I went to Baylor, where New Testament and Old Testament were required classes. Before my freshman year in college, I'm not sure I had read the ENTIRE Bible.

But it is a difficult pursuit. I had the idea this year to read the entire bible in 100 days. Reading THAT much each day to keep up changes the mindset from one of study to one of big-picture perspective. I don't think it is a bad thing at all. But for me, the desire to read through the Bible isn't an ongoing thing. Some years I want to do it, and others, I'm content to stick to a few books that I know and love and want to linger in.

Anyway - good for you in the goal. I do think that having a big picture perspective of the entire thing is foundational and a backbone it is always worthwhile to revisit.
            Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
              My mom read me the bible growing up and we finished it around the time I was in middle school. But it was a children's bible, so I was going to attempt to read the whole bible. My mom suggests reading the New Testament first and then the Old Testament but I kind of want to do the reverse and read the bible in order. I have a friend who is working on it but she simply picks a book and reads it in whatever order she feels like. Has anyone actually read the whole bible? How did you read it? Did you read it in order? New before Old? Randomly? Any advice?
              There are chronological Bibles which arrange the books according to the order of events in time.

Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap