A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Which is Better For YOU... Home Church or Traditional Church Gathering Place?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is Better For YOU... Home Church or Traditional Church Gathering Place?

I have been to several different churches and I have stayed home from churches before, but one thing I've never done is attended an actual "home church" where people hold services in their own homes. I've heard that there is actually a complicated schedule they have to keep, moving from one home to another, all around the neighborhood. I wonder if a home church is more fulfilling, more Christ centered? It is definitely not what I would consider easier than the traditional service, with having to move around so much, but is it more of a spiritual awakening to have the smaller church units? Does anyone have personal experience or information on this topic? I'd love to hear what you all have to say.

We attend church on Sundays maybe that's what you mean by traditional church. During the week there is always a vigil among us neighbors. We meet and have prayer sessions and bible readings. Does that fall under home church?
    Comment>

There are a lot of different reasons people meet in homes rather than in a church building. I have attended a couple of home churches but these were new churches that had just been started and hadn't yet obtained or built buildings to worship in. Many home churches are in countries where Christians are persecuted and not allowed to build houses of worship. The important thing is that Christians meet together to worship. It doesn't matter whether they meet in a home or in a building specially designed for them to meet in.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

I'd rather go to a church than someone else's home to pray. I think there's an amazing aura when going to church, with all the grandeur and holiness that comes with the place. The candles, the ambience, even the music. I really like it, it calms me down, relaxes me, and I have a feeling that it just washes me clean. I've gone to houses before to do the rosary, but I really didn't feel the presence of the Lord when I was in my neighbors' house, so I would go to church masses whenever I can. It's really a great experience every single time.
        Comment>

Neither is better. The reason they had home churches in the past was because of persecution. And the early Christians loved each other. It's that love that drew them together. While the atmosphere of today's home church may be different from that of a traditional church, there isn't much difference between them. But to answer your question, here's Jesus answer to the Samaritan woman: The hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth. If you worship God in spirit and truth, it doesn't matter whether you worship Him at home church or in a traditional church.
          Comment>

It really comes down to what is available in your area. If there aren't any truly bible believing churches, then it is better to form your own home church. However, you can run into problems if you don't have any pastoral guidance when doing so. Though, if there is a good bible believing church in your area then it is always best to get involved with that church rather than strike out on your own.
            Comment>

These are all great answers. I have always believed that where two or more are gathered together in His name, Jesus will be among them, so it doesn't matter to me where I am when I worship Him. I just think that home churches are a little bit complicated, as they have to be organized and they trade off at least once a month or so. They also have to be small groups that can fit in say, a living room. This means that there has to be other homes in different neighborhoods where those families can go to worship. To answer flonyash's question, I think that weekly prayer meetings in people's homes CAN qualify as a home church in a way, though I was actually referring to holding the actual church service, music and all, in someone's home. I've been told by someone with experience, that this is preferable to the traditional church because the atmosphere is friendlier, homier, and more family oriented. I have no personal experience to share but was curious if anyone else here does.
              Comment>

Our church has both. We gather for corporate worship and the sacraments at the church, and we break down to homes for small groups or bible studies in the evening.
                Comment>

I wish I knew of a home church. I've been searching for a good traditional church and can't get no satisfaction. I can't get no...
                  Satisfaction.

I turn on my TV and there's a guy with a bigger home and better car than me.
                  And soft-soaps on the Gospel, and is all about money and self-improvement.
                  He tells me he's got a word of knowledge, got so rich that he got his own college!
                  I can't get no... na na na... no no no!
                  Satisfaction. No satisfaction.

Rolling Stones aside, starting or going to a good Bible-based home church is the answer. Don't worry about not having all the trappings of a traditional church. We're in the age of apostasy, age of apostasyyyyy.

Where the churches all turn their back on God. I find truth of some things in one church but not the other, then they flip-flop on the doctrines. Some are self-conflicted. Most get money by teaching that we are to tithe all our 10% to the church. Baloney. Tithing was for the priests and the temple for Israel. Priests and temple are not worship places for Christians. Churches and missionaries and NT instruction on giving is now where our stewardship is, according to how the Spirit would have us give. Give most of the money to missionaries if you wish. Give according to your ability or above that which you are able.

1 Cor. 16:2: On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

2 Cor. 9:6-8: Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.

2 Cor. 8:3-5: For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord, begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints, and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God.

Preachers want 10%, based on the OT. Missionaries get the lamb's share of the loot. Phony preachers! Phonies! Since missionaries get their support, meager though it is from churches, they don't dare correct the pastors of those churches that do this. What a rotten bunch of garbage. I know a missionary who is struggling and wouldn't if churches weren't so darn corrupt with the love of money. And they have the audacity to boast about how great their support is of missions. I don't know about the rest of you all, but that is the garbage I am faced with, and as you can tell, I'm mad as... as... dare I say it?

I wish there was an explosion of home churches, at least in my area. We don't even have small groups. I've checked a few other churches and you wouldn't believe the gibberish I have to decipher to figure them out. This is a great topic. I would love to see where it leads. I live in the "Bible belt". Hah! What a laugh! It's the Baptist belt, but the Bible is not taught as well as they like to think it is. They don't drink at all, they don't dance, they don't believe in live bands to back up the vocalists and choir and they are Baptist more than Christian. I go to one because I don't know what else to do. My book did convert one free willy into a "Calvinist" though. It is good. He believes the Bible, just needed a little direction. God bless him. He also considers himself to be a Christian first, not a Baptist. I am not saying that Baptists are not Christians, just that they need a good straightening out, like most other churches. Sorry I got burned up. It is not at you folks, just churchianity in general. I am just mad at the experiences I faced. For those of you happy with your church, consider yourself blessed. I've been burned over and over again. This is just my opinion, and I know there have got to be good churches somewhere. Even hard to find a local Presbyterian church in the area.

HELP!

Comment>

My mom had friends who used to do home church where they listened to a favored pastor online. I personally don't mind doing it during the week instead of going on Wednesday but I like going to a physical church on Sunday. I like the social aspect of going to service and then talking about it during lunch or coffee.
                    Comment>

Having tried both online/tv broadcasts and going to the actual church itself, I'd say going to the church wins! It's something about the architecture of the building and the whole atmosphere that is very mesmerising. Well, that and my lifelong love of the smell of incence and beeswax. Sure going to the church first thing in the morning is rough, but live gospel singing is by far better than the recorded versions.
                      Comment>

There is the fellowship aspect, which is important to me. It is a good thing to have, good fellowship.
                        Comment>

There is a ladies group in our village that handles the so called block rosary. The prayers go from house to house as a form of socializing as well. The movement is weekly so the statue of the virgin stays in one house for one week. If that can be related to the topic, I think home prayer is good for fellowship because the participants have the opportunity to go personal and even social problems can be discussed. When that home prayer started, I got closer to the neighbors particularly to the women because we have some sort of bonding during the Saturday home prayer (now it is moved to Sunday depending on the availability of the prayer leader). But this is not to say that I want to do away with the church prayer because church attendance is also mandatory for me.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
                            I wish I knew of a home church. I've been searching for a good traditional church and can't get no satisfaction. I can't get no...
                            Satisfaction.

I turn on my TV and there's a guy with a bigger home and better car than me.
                            And soft-soaps on the Gospel, and is all about money and self-improvement.
                            He tells me he's got a word of knowledge, got so rich that he got his own college!
                            I can't get no... na na na... no no no!
                            Satisfaction. No satisfaction.

Rolling Stones aside, starting or going to a good Bible-based home church is the answer. Don't worry about not having all the trappings of a traditional church. We're in the age of apostasy, age of apostasyyyyy.

Where the churches all turn their back on God. I find truth of some things in one church but not the other, then they flip-flop on the doctrines. Some are self-conflicted. Most get money by teaching that we are to tithe all our 10% to the church. Baloney. Tithing was for the priests and the temple for Israel. Priests and temple are not worship places for Christians. Churches and missionaries and NT instruction on giving is now where our stewardship is, according to how the Spirit would have us give. Give most of the money to missionaries if you wish. Give according to your ability or above that which you are able.

1 Cor. 16:2: On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

2 Cor. 9:6-8: Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.

2 Cor. 8:3-5: For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord, begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints, and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God.

Preachers want 10%, based on the OT. Missionaries get the lamb's share of the loot. Phony preachers! Phonies! Since missionaries get their support, meager though it is from churches, they don't dare correct the pastors of those churches that do this. What a rotten bunch of garbage. I know a missionary who is struggling and wouldn't if churches weren't so darn corrupt with the love of money. And they have the audacity to boast about how great their support is of missions. I don't know about the rest of you all, but that is the garbage I am faced with, and as you can tell, I'm mad as... as... dare I say it?

I wish there was an explosion of home churches, at least in my area. We don't even have small groups. I've checked a few other churches and you wouldn't believe the gibberish I have to decipher to figure them out. This is a great topic. I would love to see where it leads. I live in the "Bible belt". Hah! What a laugh! It's the Baptist belt, but the Bible is not taught as well as they like to think it is. They don't drink at all, they don't dance, they don't believe in live bands to back up the vocalists and choir and they are Baptist more than Christian. I go to one because I don't know what else to do. My book did convert one free willy into a "Calvinist" though. It is good. He believes the Bible, just needed a little direction. God bless him. He also considers himself to be a Christian first, not a Baptist. I am not saying that Baptists are not Christians, just that they need a good straightening out, like most other churches. Sorry I got burned up. It is not at you folks, just churchianity in general. I am just mad at the experiences I faced. For those of you happy with your church, consider yourself blessed. I've been burned over and over again. This is just my opinion, and I know there have got to be good churches somewhere. Even hard to find a local Presbyterian church in the area.

HELP!
                            I love your post, Stratcat, and can so relate to it. I'm pleased to see those Bible verses on tithing and cheerful giving. This is something that I've believed in for some time myself. I'm sick of those preachers who demand money and then tell you that you will be blessed with it a thousand-fold. The true blessing, as you have related, comes from cheerful giving, not giving a lot just to get more back. There is an awful lot of moving away from the true faith out there and getting a lot of small groups together to move back closer to our Lord, would be a truly life affirming event.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
                              There is a ladies group in our village that handles the so called block rosary. The prayers go from house to house as a form of socializing as well. The movement is weekly so the statue of the virgin stays in one house for one week. If that can be related to the topic, I think home prayer is good for fellowship because the participants have the opportunity to go personal and even social problems can be discussed. When that home prayer started, I got closer to the neighbors particularly to the women because we have some sort of bonding during the Saturday home prayer (now it is moved to Sunday depending on the availability of the prayer leader). But this is not to say that I want to do away with the church prayer because church attendance is also mandatory for me.
                              This is definitely related to the topic. :) Thank you for sharing the story of your ladies group. I wonder if there are others in this site who do Block Rosaries? It would be interesting to hear their stories as well. I'm not Catholic but I have a great deal of respect for, and friendship with, several Catholics who are part of my life. I think that attending a church doesn't necessarily mean attending a church BUILDING, but rather, it means gathering together with other believers. That's where Jesus will be, in the midst of those who believe in Him and call upon His name.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap