A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Breaking away from the past

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking away from the past

Today I read a short post in one of my social media accounts which said "The past is a point of reference not a place of residence." The phrase got me thinking about how much we waste a lot of time suffering the anguish of things we did in the past. I've done some pretty awful things in the past but ever since I met the Lord and decided to turn my life around, I believe I should not be imprisoned by my past. I've moved on and the past is just but a point of reference about the lessons it taught me. Well, I just felt like sharing this. Thanks for reading.

Very good quote. To dove-tail on it, we really need to understand how we are using the past. Are we letting it rule our future, or are we using it as a tool to reshape our future? Meaning are we learning from past mistakes and experiences to better ourselves as we move forward?

Some people try to bury their past, but they are ultimately doomed to repeat past failures as they have failed to learn from them. We should never forget our past, but use it to our advantage.
    Comment>

Originally posted by integrity101 View Post
      Today I read a short post in one of my social media accounts which said "The past is a point of reference not a place of residence." The phrase got me thinking about how much we waste a lot of time suffering the anguish of things we did in the past. I've done some pretty awful things in the past but ever since I met the Lord and decided to turn my life around, I believe I should not be imprisoned by my past. I've moved on and the past is just but a point of reference about the lessons it taught me. Well, I just felt like sharing this. Thanks for reading.
      It is important to repent from past sins, as the H. Spirit may be convicting us in conscience. I also believe that the devil may be convicting us, as he is an imitator, making us numb in conscience to the promptings of the H. Spirit. It only causes paralysis, that is, dwelling on the past after having repented and being forgiven. Having faith in the Lord by trusting that your sins have been atoned for is a testimony to your faith. This is not to say that people with PTSD from seeing too much whether in combat or life always lack faith, but it may be a comfort to them knowing that they are forgiven. Whenever I am distraught by a past sin, I immediately turn to prayer and ask for forgiveness, repenting from the sin, and then in faith trying to demonstrate that I myself am forgiven. This comforts and puts my conscience to rest, so in turn I hope this may help you too.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light

If we feel burdened by our past then it is a burden that we have placed on ourselves not one that God has. We are freed from the shackles of enslavement to our past and our fear.
        I agree with William though, there is a difference between burden and convictions and we should confess and repent of the convictions of the Holy Spirit. If we feel the weight of our sins from events long ago we need forgiveness and repentance, if we feel shame from our sins then we need to reject it because there is therefore now no condemnation in Christ Jesus.
        Comment>

It's funny sometimes, how easy it can be to move on from the past physically, but not so easy emotionally and spiritually. It's like, all the different aspects of our personalities have to catch up to one another in their own sweet time or something. Luckily, the Lord knows our hearts and knows what it takes to relieve us of our burdens. That's how we move on in our spiritual lives, by trusting in Him to see us through our trials. If it were not for Christ, we would all still be living in the errors of our past.
          Comment>

Well you are certainly not alone in having done some things in the past, but the best thing is to always be looking forwards and learning from those things. As long as you can say you learned from it I think that it will prove a positive. I like that quote, so thank you for sharing it. Knowing that the man upstairs always has our backs and sees our character helps too, and his forgiveness is why we can move on. It is important to always keep those things in mind and not drive yourself crazy relishing in the past.
            Comment>

Thanks for all your encouraging comments. Leaving the past behind is easier said than done. It will always be a part of your history and a nagging reminder of your inadequacies but with the help of God and knowing that you became a new person when you decided to change your ways always helps a great deal. Thank you all and God bless you.
              Comment>

Thanks for sharing. I am also very guilty about dwelling on the past and finding a hard time to move on from failure. I'm just so thankful that I have my faith with me, it always pushes me to move on and look forward to another wonderful day. We should stop worrying about the past and instead focus on what we could do to be better persons.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap