A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

What's so wrong with this society?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's so wrong with this society?

Just a little while ago I was reading some news from Western society and it seems to me people there have lost their minds. They are completely ok with screwing each other over some trivial matters that can be solved through discussion. My specific issue is the one of lawyers, HR dept., zero tolerance policy, etc. It seems to me no one is allowed to do a mistake. One strike and you are out. They are more willing to sue you, complain about you rather than talk with you and sort the problem out through discussion. And I also think the tolerance level of people have gone down. Really when did they become so lily-livered that every minor inconveniences or insults can be called harassment or assault? Again I do not have any particular case in mind and this is a general trend I observe (may not be very frequent). But I think this is a sign of decline and if this goes on everyone will be emotionless robots. What do you think?

Originally posted by inlight12 View Post
    Just a little while ago I was reading some news from Western society and it seems to me people there have lost their minds. They are completely ok with screwing each other over some trivial matters that can be solved through discussion. My specific issue is the one of lawyers, HR dept., zero tolerance policy, etc. It seems to me no one is allowed to do a mistake. One strike and you are out. They are more willing to sue you, complain about you rather than talk with you and sort the problem out through discussion. And I also think the tolerance level of people have gone down. Really when did they become so lily-livered that every minor inconveniences or insults can be called harassment or assault? Again I do not have any particular case in mind and this is a general trend I observe (may not be very frequent). But I think this is a sign of decline and if this goes on everyone will be emotionless robots. What do you think?
    Legalism can rear its ugly head in many facets of life. It is not limited only to religious zealots. But one can become religious about anything.

Regarding more emotion. We're far from being emotionless robots. Look at the daily news, the mobs, the riots etc which are being fueled by emotional narratives/arguments. I believe there is a time and place for emotion and also a time and place for being rational and logic. Sure emotion has its place, I am struck with compassion by a homeless man so I hand him my change. I don't have to think about it but emotion guides me. On the other hand, all hell breaks loose around us, we need to be able to separate our emotions in order to assess the environmental conditions and how we ought to respond. Emotion in this instance does nothing but muddy the waters or impair our ability to properly narrate the facts. I see it here in this forum, a lot of people can't separate their emotions from the topic and subject, thereby taking everything to heart. On the other end it would be extremely easy for moderators to act overly legalistic, micro moderating other people's behavior. Should we step back and let boys be boys and girls be girls? This is one of the reason why we have gender options to fill out in our profiles. I try not to talk to females the same as my male buddies, I think this is when we end up in trouble a lot of times.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Yes, the issue can be seen as imposing legalism where it has no place (i.e. outside of law). I do not know what makes them so sue-happy that a slight conflict (without injury) between two men would produce a series of lawsuits while a hundred years ago it will be rather forgotten than brought up. Or the boy who chewed out a pop-tart to make toy gun and suspended from school. Or a guy asking his coworker what kind of shoe she wore. Have our feelings become so fragile that we cannot tolerate a slight discomfort and tell other to stop doing that rather than attacking them with everything we have got and render them into dust?

I see what you are saying regarding the use of shunning emotions completely. But I think that is only reserved for emergency situations. When you live in a bad neighborhood you do not trust anyone enough to do anything good to you. But these are office, school and hotels we are talking about not a dark alley. Why can't people have enough common sense to understand that the other person may not be a bad person at all? We can always take the hard way if the problem persists but that is after we have made sure that the other person has no intention of stop bothering us.

If people cannot connect to others beside them in a safe environment, I do not know what kind of society that would be.
      Comment>

These problems can arise from the fact that we now live in a "suing" society. People sue each other over the tiniest little trauma, emotional or otherwise. If someone breaks your toy, sue him. If someone steals your toy, sue him. If someone looks cross-eyed at your toy, sue him for every penny he has. For this reason, a lot of businesses now protect themselves by incorporating one strike and you're out policies. You agree to these policies when you hire on with the company and if you break a rule, they can easily fire you without your ability to do anything about it. Yes, it seems like we aren't allowed to breathe anymore, but in reality, we pretty much did it to ourselves because we are so demanding that everything goes our way all the time.
        Comment>

The sensitivity levels are high on many social issues now, and people are being trained by the media to be extra sensitive on what once would be considered a trivial matter. Even in common sense situations emotions seem to prevail. For example, the idea of having unisex bathrooms to accommodate "transgendered" people, just seems like a logical thing to know that suggestion would be plain ridiculous. People feel like they need to bend and twist their own values just not to step on the toes of a minority of people that they don't agree with in the first place.
          Comment>

Most people either just don't care, or are much too sensitive when there are issues that flare up. It's rather sad, the media seemed to be promoting issues for advertising rather than actual care. The media love controversy, and they keep blowing through the flames and making them even larger.
            Comment>

Originally posted by OursIsTheFury View Post
              Most people either just don't care, or are much too sensitive when there are issues that flare up. It's rather sad, the media seemed to be promoting issues for advertising rather than actual care. The media love controversy, and they keep blowing through the flames and making them even larger.
              I think you're right to some extent in that people care, but I just think they care about the wrong things and that's driven by the media.

The media have their own agenda to push, and that can be anything from selling newspapers or getting viewers in a station, all the way through to supporting one political party or another.

We're not making up our own minds, we're having them made up for us, but the scariest part is that not everyone can see it.
              Comment>

Sometimes I think that the correct question would be "what is right in this society?". Everyday it is harder and harder to me to see the light at the end of the tunnel for all of us and if you turn on the news you will see that things are not getting any better.
                Comment>

Originally posted by seupaulo View Post
                  Sometimes I think that the correct question would be "what is right in this society?". Everyday it is harder and harder to me to see the light at the end of the tunnel for all of us and if you turn on the news you will see that things are not getting any better.
                  While I also sometimes think it would be easier to ask what is right rather than wrong, that would be almost as if we're conceding defeat, and we're giving up.

I don't think we can allow ourselves to give up on society just yet, no matter how much of a lost cause it appears to be.
                  Comment>

It is not giving up.... it is taking a clear view of the facts. If you see something bad happening, it will not became good just because you decide to look at it in a diferente way. We must have clear at or heads how the world is and how to fix it.

If there is anyway to do it at the end....
                    Comment>

I think that many people have a clear view on what's wrong with the world, but its how we go about fixing it, is where the problem lies.

Asking what's wrong with the world, we can go through and try and fix what we can, as of course we can do by asking what's right with it also. It's not how we recognise the problem, or how we word it, its what we do to try and fix it. That's what we reallyy should be focusing on.

When somebody asks what's wrong with it, and they get a reply back, what's right with it you mean...It just sends out a negative tone, that's all I was meaning, and it just sounds a bit defeatist.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap