A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Finding a church with balanced music and doctrinal sound teaching...help! ;)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a church with balanced music and doctrinal sound teaching...help! ;)

Hello everyone...

Just joined the forum and need a little guidance here. We have recently left the church we've attended for 10 years, just feeling that it's time for us to move on. Why? Many reasons. 1. Very small body of believers 2. Not enough young people my daughters age's 3. Music is unbalanced, meaning that the only music is from the hymn book, and most worship music is at least 50-200 years old 4. A few ultra conservative elders that are very old and very set in there ways (KJV only, hymns from book only, no freedom of expression in Christ, etc.) etc.

We (as a family) have recently been visiting another church that is doctrinally sound, but they are now on the opposite end of the spectrum. All (or nearly all) Sunday morning worship songs are contemporary, the worship leader is nearly dancing while leading, the teaching, while good, is overly intense, as in a lot of shouting. But, the Sunday school classes, and children's activities are good.

We've visited a few churches here in the Nashville area trying to find one with balance, but have not succeeded as of yet. Any advice??? Thanks. :)

Hi chiefgeek,

I haven't really any advice, because I prefer classical hymns and believe the regulative principal is best. If youth groups and contemporary music are among the main central focus then you may want to check out Calvary Chapel. They also teach verse by verse, and tend not to emphasize doctrine. In my church, the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC) we sing from hymnals, and there are no "youth groups", but children are to sit with the family during service, afterwards we are divided up by age and go to Bible Study. There are activities for children, but Sunday, the Lord's day is considered a day of worship for all ages and not entertainment. If you do wish to check them out then there is a locator: Orthodox Presbyterian Church

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
      "If youth groups and contemporary music are among the main central focus then you may want to check out Calvary Chapel. They also teach verse by verse, and tend not to emphasize doctrine."
      Not sure why you would recommend a church that doesn't emphasize doctrine, and presume "youth groups and contemporary music are the main focus" unless your being sarcastic? Doctrine is my main focus, then method of teaching (expository preferred), and then how the order of worship is designed. Many of these are "non-essentials" to the Faith, and thus the reason for the original question.

"the Lord's day is considered a day of worship for all ages and not entertainment."
      Not sure why you would assume I'm going to church for entertainment, but again, I think your being sarcastic. Check your motives there brother.

I haven't really any advice,
      With this comment, why did you even respond, again, check your motives and heart, my doctrinal stance and method of worship is not up for debate here, but sincere advice would be gladly accepted, and if you have not any, then don't feel compelled to respond. ;)

Comment>

Originally posted by chiefgeek View Post
        Not sure why you would recommend a church that doesn't emphasize doctrine, and presume "youth groups and contemporary music are the main focus" unless your being sarcastic? Doctrine is my main focus, then method of teaching (expository preferred), and then how the order of worship is designed. Many of these are "non-essentials" to the Faith, and thus the reason for the original question.
        Hi chiefgeek,

I am not being sarcastic, but reserved my judgment and just recommended two churches of two different sides of the spectrum. I said these things because they are "generally true" of the Non-Denominational attendees that join this forum. The emphasis is placed on contemporary music and youth groups, entertaining congregants and children on any given Sunday so that adults are free for worship service. It is apparently true of what you shared, that is, you obviously consider the Regulative or Normative principal non essentials but are having issues, and it is essential enough for you to leave your then and present church because they were too extreme sided - were the hymns packed full of meaning to do with that day's sermon message by the way?

Check my motives, I must admit though I reserved my judgments you're shadowing most non-denominational people that come into this forum. And yes, you're more than welcome here, and I hope you stay so we can get to know one another and fellowship. Calvary chapel does preach expository sermons while not emphasizing doctrine. If you were probably to press elders in a private meeting you'll find that once they emphasize any doctrine that they align with one or two denominations and oppose other denominations, making them a denomination, but too slippery to dare say they are under this or that label. On worship, Calvary chapel was known for its worship music movement. And like most non-denominational churches there is no formal membership, but they consider members those that attend church at least once a week. So if modern music, expository preaching, and youth groups are your thing it does seem I made a recommendation for you to check out.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

ok William....
          Comment>

1. Very small body of believers 2. Not enough young people my daughters age's 3. Music is unbalanced, meaning that the only music is from the hymn book, and most worship music is at least 50-200 years old 4. A few ultra conservative elders that are very old and very set in there ways (KJV only, hymns from book only, no freedom of expression in Christ, etc.) etc.
            A prefer churches on the relatively small size, because they're more like family. But, "small" can quickly become a problem, such as when there's no children near your child's age.

I have no desire for "contemporary" music. It tends to be effeminate and doctrinally perverse (non-essential doesn't mean non-annoying). Talk to the elders about trying to songs you like, just make sure they're tasteful. Have you ever volunteered to be the song leader when the person who normally does it isn't there?

The KJV is a good translation. Aren't you free to bring an ESV to church?

Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
              A prefer churches on the relatively small size, because they're more like family. But, "small" can quickly become a problem, such as when there's no children near your child's age.
              For the same reasons, I can appreciate no youth groups at the same time of the sermon. I think it is important for families to be together while praising God and hearing the sermon. It provides a great opportunity for parents to speak to children afterwards and go over the sermon on the long drive back home together or at the dinner table.

I have no desire for "contemporary" music. It tends to be effeminate and doctrinally perverse (non-essential doesn't mean non-annoying). Talk to the elders about trying to songs you like, just make sure they're tasteful. Have you ever volunteered to be the song leader when the person who normally does it isn't there?
              I couldn't agree more.

The KJV is a good translation. Aren't you free to bring an ESV to church?
              Sometimes the most simplistic answer is overlooked :)

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

We have recently left the church we've attended for 10 years
                Chiefgeek, is that little church non-denominational? I think non-denominational churches put church size above everything else, so it would be odd to me for a little church (that doesn't fold) to be non-denominational. Non-denominational churches are about entertainment and embracing doctrinal fads, and everything else calculated to grow the congregation.
                Comment>

Non-denominational churches are about entertainment and embracing doctrinal fads, and everything else calculated to grow the congregation.
                  Where did you come up with this idea? I used to belong to a non-denominational church and it was nothing like this.

A few ultra conservative elders that are very old and very set in there ways
                  If these elders are very old, isn't it possible that they will die soon and be replaced by leaders that will promote new ways? Isn't it even possible that if you remain in this church you will have a chance to be one of these leaders?
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                    Where did you come up with this idea? I used to belong to a non-denominational church and it was nothing like this.
                    Maybe that's the exception that proves the rule. But, really? Did the pastor teach Amil doctrine? Or, Pretrib doctrine? Did they prefer contemporary "praise and worship" music? Or great hymns produced over centuries of God-fearing song-writers?

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                    f these elders are very old, isn't it possible that they will die soon and be replaced by leaders that will promote new ways? Isn't it even possible that if you remain in this church you will have a chance to be one of these leaders?
                    Even without replacing the elders, it's possible to have a lot of influence in a small church. It just takes a little ingratiation. I just hope that ability to influence the church isn't abused.

Comment>

Hello everyone...

Just joined the forum and need a little guidance here. We have recently left the church we've attended for 10 years, just feeling that it's time for us to move on. Why? Many reasons. 1. Very small body of believers 2. Not enough young people my daughters age's 3. Music is unbalanced, meaning that the only music is from the hymn book, and most worship music is at least 50-200 years old 4. A few ultra conservative elders that are very old and very set in there ways (KJV only, hymns from book only, no freedom of expression in Christ, etc.) etc.
                      ‚ÄčI guess at 72 I'm one of those old folks of which you speak. The only Bible I regularly read in English is the KJV although I own and sometimes use others. Our music is either very old or it is new and written by members of assemblies we fellowship with... We have never used hymn books in the few years I've been there but the choruses at least (and sometimes more) are displayed on an overhead where everyone can read them.

Anyone can stand and testify without getting someone's permission in advance.

What is it you describe as balanced? We pray, we worship, we sing and someone preaches (sometimes even I preach). We also sometimes engage in some very Pentecostal type activities. We really get deep into the Bible.

We (as a family) have recently been visiting another church that is doctrinally sound, but they are now on the opposite end of the spectrum. All (or nearly all) Sunday morning worship songs are contemporary, the worship leader is nearly dancing while leading, the teaching, while good, is overly intense, as in a lot of shouting. But, the Sunday school classes, and children's activities are good.
                      Doctrinally sound for one may be anathema for another. Where I attend it is doctrinally sound as I see it... and hopefully as God sees it.

We've visited a few churches here in the Nashville area trying to find one with balance, but have not succeeded as of yet. Any advice??? Thanks. :)

I just spoke to a brother from Nashville a couple of days ago. From that conversation and his relationship with my pastor I would recommend where he worships, but I have personally never been in Tennessee. If you are interested I could get more details.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap