Someone to laugh with, someone to cry with, someone who understands. We live there too. NO PERSONAL ADS

How a single should spend his life if he cant marry right now?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Elda View Post

    Living debt-free an excellent goal, as is having six months income as an emergency fund. Changing one's financial orientation from credit card to debit card is a real challenge though. I don't see the market place as accommodating to debit cards. I suppose it depends on where and on what one spends.

    My apologies to the OP. Wasn't my intention to derail your thread, although it might be tangentially related or helpful...
    For most online transactions I use PayPal. PayPal, in case you are unfamiliar can pull funds from your bank account to fund your PayPal balance. The reason I like PayPal for online transactions is because of the 6 month guarantee against fraud. I have made a few software purchases where the end product was not as advertised. I filed a claim through PayPal and in all instances the money was refunded back to me.

    God bless,
    William
    Comment>

      #17
      Originally posted by William View Post

      For most online transactions I use PayPal. PayPal, in case you are unfamiliar can pull funds from your bank account to fund your PayPal balance. The reason I like PayPal for online transactions is because of the 6 month guarantee against fraud. I have made a few software purchases where the end product was not as advertised. I filed a claim through PayPal and in all instances the money was refunded back to me.

      God bless,
      William
      It's always good to have a plan, even one that uses PayPal when that's the only method available. So long as I can use a credit card without fees or costs, that's my payment method of choice when cash is not an option, or when direct pay from checking is not required.

      That's why my original question to post #10 about "how does one eliminate credit cards" from their purse (or wallet)?

      By the way, how many people have placed credit freezes on their credit at all three credit bureaus?
      Comment>

        #18
        Originally posted by Elda View Post

        Can you, or anyone else, explain how to do this [don't have credit cards] in today's society?


        I was raised with a couple of credit cards -- my folks had a Sears and Penny's credit cards -- there were five of us -- double income family -- always had the cards paid off monthly.

        My husband was raised with 9 kids and divorced parents -- poverty.

        When he and I got married -- No credit cards -- we had 4 kids. If we didn't have the money, we didn't buy it. I was a stay at home mom. A few times I Did have a job, but didn't last that long. But I also saved change from day one of our marriage. Got that idea from another young couple. Any small change from her husband's pockets went into a savings jar in their house. At one point our VW needed new tires -- we counted the money I'd been saving up in that jar and it was enough to get those tires. That was Many decades ago.

        Finally my husband Did get a credit card for gas usage Only.

        How we do this in today's society? Probably depends on where a person lives. You live in California -- apparently more expensive than Texas. My husband believes in debt free living. But a down side to that. A person has no credit rating. When we applied for a short-term loan to get property to build our house, the loan officer had to go clear back in our financial history to when my husband made some payments for a motorcycle in another state. After talking with us for a while, she said she felt led to go out on a limb for us. We were able to buy our property and started working on our house.

        Because we built our first house -- we'd been paying rent and decided to make the transition into home ownership. The money that Had been going into rent Now went into building supplies. We built the bare minimum to get in and then finished while living in it. Camping out indoors. Vowed I'd Never do That again. We were able to remodel / did a house-flip many years later because we were debt free from the first time.

        Granted -- what which we did back then - we'd Never be able to do Now. The price for building supplies has at least doubled if not tripled.

        Ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He was a big name some years back. Had radio / TV call in programs. I'm going to have to Google him and see what's happened to him.
        Comment>

          #19
          Originally posted by Sue D. View Post



          I was raised with a couple of credit cards -- my folks had a Sears and Penny's credit cards -- there were five of us -- double income family -- always had the cards paid off monthly.

          My husband was raised with 9 kids and divorced parents -- poverty.

          When he and I got married -- No credit cards -- we had 4 kids. If we didn't have the money, we didn't buy it. I was a stay at home mom. A few times I Did have a job, but didn't last that long. But I also saved change from day one of our marriage. Got that idea from another young couple. Any small change from her husband's pockets went into a savings jar in their house. At one point our VW needed new tires -- we counted the money I'd been saving up in that jar and it was enough to get those tires. That was Many decades ago.

          Finally my husband Did get a credit card for gas usage Only.

          How we do this in today's society? Probably depends on where a person lives. You live in California -- apparently more expensive than Texas. My husband believes in debt free living. But a down side to that. A person has no credit rating. When we applied for a short-term loan to get property to build our house, the loan officer had to go clear back in our financial history to when my husband made some payments for a motorcycle in another state. After talking with us for a while, she said she felt led to go out on a limb for us. We were able to buy our property and started working on our house.

          Because we built our first house -- we'd been paying rent and decided to make the transition into home ownership. The money that Had been going into rent Now went into building supplies. We built the bare minimum to get in and then finished while living in it. Camping out indoors. Vowed I'd Never do That again. We were able to remodel / did a house-flip many years later because we were debt free from the first time.

          Granted -- what which we did back then - we'd Never be able to do Now. The price for building supplies has at least doubled if not tripled.

          Ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He was a big name some years back. Had radio / TV call in programs. I'm going to have to Google him and see what's happened to him.
          I've read a couple Dave Ramsey books and listened to him on the radio for a while. He is an advocate for "cutting up" the credit cards. That might be one specific item in his "debt free" plan that I disagree with--for me personally. I can see how credit cards, in the hands of the unwise, can be disastrous.
          Comment>

            #20
            Originally posted by Elda View Post

            I've read a couple Dave Ramsey books and listened to him on the radio for a while. He is an advocate for "cutting up" the credit cards. That might be one specific item in his "debt free" plan that I disagree with--for me personally. I can see how credit cards, in the hands of the unwise, can be disastrous.


            A credit card Can be disastrous -- the 'buy Now and pay Later' syndrome. Have a budget and live within it's boundaries. If a person doesn't have the money Now -- what makes them think they've have it Later. Or a person looses a job. Sometimes might it be a 'social status' thing? Whip out that credit card. I write checks and use real money.

            I Did Google Dave Ramsey yesterday -- he still does exist.

            I grew up in the atmosphere of paying off credit cards monthly and the person keeps those payments within their monthly budget. You're not owing anyone anything.

            My husband goes a bit to the extreme -- owe no man anything has meant no car payments or house payments. He's also very good at management -- adjusting funds as needed. One thing that Did help was when my Mother passed away this past January. She lived to be 98. She'd out-lived two husbands. Money management was her 'thing'. They saved and invested wisely over the years -- both husbands did, also. My share of the inheritance was in the upper 5-figures. And we have had some savings of our own. Neither of us spend much money. Mostly store brands and such. He shops around for good deals on vehicles.

            We Have been doing up-grades in our house. But my husband won't hire out for those jobs -- does it himself with my help or our son's who lives next door. He'd be watching every move the work men made and probably driving them a bit Crazy.

            My sister and brother -in-law inherited the same amount and decided to redo their bedroom / bath area. They hired it out. Unfortunately they were behind schedule and didn't do some of it per request. They had wanted a sliding door and it wasn't installed properly. My sister had gotten trapped in the bathroom. It was a big room, so she wasn't bothered by a small area. Terry ended up doing a lot of the painting himself.

            So - money or Not -- we still watch what we're buying. Do we Really need that item?!
            Comment>

              #21
              Originally posted by Sue D. View Post



              A credit card Can be disastrous -- the 'buy Now and pay Later' syndrome. Have a budget and live within it's boundaries. If a person doesn't have the money Now -- what makes them think they've have it Later. Or a person looses a job. Sometimes might it be a 'social status' thing? Whip out that credit card. I write checks and use real money.

              I Did Google Dave Ramsey yesterday -- he still does exist.

              I grew up in the atmosphere of paying off credit cards monthly and the person keeps those payments within their monthly budget. You're not owing anyone anything.

              My husband goes a bit to the extreme -- owe no man anything has meant no car payments or house payments. He's also very good at management -- adjusting funds as needed. One thing that Did help was when my Mother passed away this past January. She lived to be 98. She'd out-lived two husbands. Money management was her 'thing'. They saved and invested wisely over the years -- both husbands did, also. My share of the inheritance was in the upper 5-figures. And we have had some savings of our own. Neither of us spend much money. Mostly store brands and such. He shops around for good deals on vehicles.

              We Have been doing up-grades in our house. But my husband won't hire out for those jobs -- does it himself with my help or our son's who lives next door. He'd be watching every move the work men made and probably driving them a bit Crazy.

              My sister and brother -in-law inherited the same amount and decided to redo their bedroom / bath area. They hired it out. Unfortunately they were behind schedule and didn't do some of it per request. They had wanted a sliding door and it wasn't installed properly. My sister had gotten trapped in the bathroom. It was a big room, so she wasn't bothered by a small area. Terry ended up doing a lot of the painting himself.

              So - money or Not -- we still watch what we're buying. Do we Really need that item?!
              Dave Ramsey says credit card companies are "expert" at making profit off people who maintain balances, making only minimum monthly payments. He also says that it is much easier to make a purchase when one pays with "plastic" rather than experiencing the agony of taking money our of your purse or wallet, and physically handing it over to someone. Therefore he advises to cut up the cards.

              He still doesn't address my question of using a credit card as a part of a structured financial plan and budget where they are used essentially as a "pay as you go" but they are "cash flowed" because they are "automatically" paid in full each month...

              I agree with your "pay as you go" attitude and "living within your means" approach. I agree with frugality too.

              Thank you.
              Comment>

                #22
                Seems that lots of financing is about our personal self-control. How we grew up -- are we a spender or a saver.

                If a person pays only the minimum required monthly payment , they will be forever in debt. And the companies know that. And that amounts to people taking many things home from stores that never really get paid for. And that amounts to 'theft by plastic'.

                There Are those who use cash for Everything. That can be dangerous -- that means a person Could be having Lots of money 'in hand'. I use checks most of the time. But my personal comfort zone is $50. tops. Well, my real comfort zone is around $30. My husband goes way higher. And the A+ credit union we're with has a system of notifying a customer when any unusual amounts are being paid. And every so often we do get warnings. There happen to be several men in this state with my husband's initials. It results in problems once in a while.

                And every once in a while -- the clerk at the check-out line will ask for ID. I show her my licence and sometimes they will even ask for my phone number. If there is anyone close behind me in line - especially a man -- I'll give them my husbands' phone number. That way if some guy thinks he's going to be 'cute' and call, he'll get my husband and not me.
                Comment>

                  #23
                  I have 2 really good friends that have been single for years and years,that are in no rush to have a boyfriend and they are perfectly content in their lives,you can be single and not be in any rush to be in a relationship or marriage.
                  Comment>

                    #24
                    Originally posted by fairystar View Post
                    I have 2 really good friends that have been single for years and years,that are in no rush to have a boyfriend and they are perfectly content in their lives,you can be single and not be in any rush to be in a relationship or marriage.


                    These days Society gives the impression that having a boyfriend /girlfriend is perfectly okay Without marriage. God's Word tells us otherwise. And as an adult - having a girlfriend or boyfriend Generally means there is a sexual activity element included rather than confining the relationship to Friendship. A Lot of problems arise from including sex in a relationship Before or Instead Of marriage.

                    God's Word tells us that sex is to be confined to marriage between a man and a woman. Since God designed marriage, He invented it -- it's best to follow His design.

                    A single person needs to live his/her life honoring God both in private life and public life. As Scripture tells us, there is no place where God is not present. He is the only being who knows all and sees all.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap