Discuss everything from courtship to dating and friends and co-workers to the in-laws. (This forum is for discussing ALL relationships, not just romantic ones.)

Would you date a physically disabled person?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you date a physically disabled person?

Would you date a person who had a physical disability that prevented them from having a regular life (couldn't drive, engage in strenuous activities etc.) provided they told you they love you and proved themselves to be a good person, who shared your religious beliefs?

Absolutely not!
    As a married man, my dating anyone is a very bad idea. ;)

Kidding aside ... I married a woman with a degenerative spinal injury that may one day cost her her life. We have a beautiful 11 year old daughter and I have absolutely no regrets about that decision. She is a godly wife and definitely a keeper.

God Bless,
    Arthur
    Comment>

Thanks for your reply. I guess I forgot to mention that my thread was aimed at the single people in this community.
      Comment>

Of course, I would . I have met some and they are just like the others .
        Comment>

Yes, but I am coming from the other side, I am disabled and it's a very difficult situation a most people tend to shun you or think because you may use a wheelchair that you have no capability for a relationship. It's not the case, I probably do more in day then most people. But the assumption is i am not like everyone else, that poor me, what a burden I must be. It hurts and I would so love a relationship, a comrade, someone to share with.
          Comment>

We have to admit, it not as easy to date when one person is disabled. There's a measure pressure from both sides.
            One may think " I am not worthy while the other may be thinking, "I my up to the challenge"?
            But if I find that person I connect with, disabled or not, I will date her. No questions asked.
            Comment>

Some people may have certain disabilities but that doesn't mean that they are not wonderful persons. Persons without disabilities have dated and married persons with disabilities and have had very rewarding relationships. I have seen persons with disabilities that I would have dated.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc
                Would you date a person who had a physical disability that prevented them from having a regular life (couldn't drive, engage in strenuous activities etc.) provided they told you they love you and proved themselves to be a good person, who shared your religious beliefs?

Depends on the disability, but more than likely yes.
                Comment>

When it comes to dating, everyone has a different concept about it. It depends on the purpose of the relationship that whether it is for permanent happiness or for the temporary enjoyment. If anyone seeking a person to be with forever then he or she should consider the sincerity and true love. On the other hand if someone wants a relationship just for the sake of timely satisfaction then he would consider the things like look, financial status, social status and all other material things.

If I will be asked about it then i have an answer that i wouldn't have any problem with dating a physically disable person. Dating a sincere and loving person is better than dating a person who is just looking to fulfill their needs.
                  Comment>

I married a man with traumatic brain injuries, spinal damage and a bad knee. He can't drive and is subject to frightening seizures. He is also deeply Christian and has a profound prayer life. It's not easy, but then again, because of what he's been through, he takes the Lord a lot more seriously that someone who has had a more normal life. There is far more to a person that just a body. You really should consider important things like values and personality, because when life throws you a bad turn, where your spouse places their values is really going to matter.
                    Comment>

I would date a disabled person if we fell in love. This is because we do not look at the physical aspect. There is always a way around that. If it was a situation that she(am a man) can bearly do anything, I would be willing to employ someone to look after her, say when am at work. I would do everything to see that she is happy. It might be hard at first but eventually, with love I know I would get used to it. Let's take it this way, what if you married a perfect woman/man, probably the most beautiful around and one day God forbid an accident occurs. Would you leave her because she is disabled? That would be absurd. When people are taking their vows, they say for better or worse. I believe that love entails making your partner happy. After all, there are perfect people that I would regard disabled in their behaviours. I would rather have a physically disabled wife who loves me than a perfect one who does not even think of me after some time.
                      Comment>

What about a situation where , shortly after marriage, there was a horrible accident and left one of the couple with physical disabilities that would probably be permanent.
                        Comment>

I already did date a physically ill person, two, to be precise. Well it was not that critical, but one of them tried to kill herself twice in the past. She had a lot of trouble and been through a lot, and everything was fine at first and we shared a lot, and after that she ran away like she was scared because I accepted her the way she was. I don't understand why still but, it happens.
                          Comment>

I've never actually considered physical attributes when deciding whether or not to date someone. If you took a look at all the people I've dated in the past few years, you would be hard pressed to find what they all have in common! I usually fall for people based on the things that we have in common like my hobbies (I love puzzles), writing and so on. Of course I do have other hobbies like ballroom dancing that I would like to share with whoever I'm dating, but it's not a deal-breaker if they can't do that with me. We would obviously find plenty other things to do together.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by FergusMacLeod View Post
                              I already did date a physically ill person, two, to be precise. Well it was not that critical, but one of them tried to kill herself twice in the past. She had a lot of trouble and been through a lot, and everything was fine at first and we shared a lot, and after that she ran away like she was scared because I accepted her the way she was. I don't understand why still but, it happens.
                              Maybe she was scared that even though you initially Did accept her as she was and for who she was -- that at some point you'd 'come to your senses' and leave her. So - she left you first. Is there any way you could approach her again? Help her get some Biblical counseling that she could probably benefit from?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap