Discuss everything from courtship to dating and friends and co-workers to the in-laws. (This forum is for discussing ALL relationships, not just romantic ones.)

Coming Alongside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Alongside

I read this and wanted to share.

Coming Alongside

Her thirty classmates and their parents watched as Mi'Asya nervously walked to the podium to speak at her fifth grade graduation ceremony. When the principal adjusted the microphone to Mi'Asya's height, she turned her back to the microphone and the audience. The crowd whispered words of encouragement: "Come on, honey, you can do it." But she didn't budge. Then a classmate walked to the front and stood by her side. Wit hate principal on one side of MI'Asya and her friend on the other, the three read her speech together. What a beautiful example of support!

Moses needed help and support in the middle of a battle with the Amalekites (Exodus 17: 8-16). "As long as Moses held up his hands (with the staff of God in his hands), the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning" (verse 11). When Aaron and Hur saw what was happening, they sound beside Moses, "one on one side, one on the other," and supported his arms when he grew tired. Wit their support, victory came by sunset.

We all need the support of one another. As brothers and sisters in the family of God, we have so many opportunities to encourage one another on our shared journey of faith. And God is right here in our midst giving us His grace to do that.
    -Anne Cetas

I thought it was a sweet parallel between a young girl and a bible story. If we can just pay attention around us, we can see how timeless the Bible really is.

We all need support. And when we can't get support from other Christians that's when we need to lean on Christ when we need strength and we even have His promise [" . . . but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."]. People can let your down but Christ never will for He has said, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you."
    Comment>

Our greatest pillar of strength ever is Christ. Trust in mortal start always wear out gradually as they begin to perceive your flaws. Only God could give unwavering support despite our constant helplessness. We don't lean on Christ after those we trusted must have deserted us rather we should lean on Him even before they ever consider backing off. That way we feel secured. Though during trying moment we need some physically represented human figure support. And only God could make that happen.
      Comment>

Hi LoF, from the very first time I read the Lord's words in Matthew 11:28-30, I have always loved and been comforted by them. There He commands all who are, "weary and heavy-laden", to come to Him and to learn from Him, and then promises us that if we do, we shall, "find rest for our souls".

What I found even more amazing after studying the passage was that His call to, "take My yoke upon you", was not Him simply asking me for the reins of my life with the intention being that He would guide me through it (like a Farmer driving an ox cart). Rather, it's a call to come "alongside" Him and learn from Him as the more experienced two oxen yoked together (and bearing the burden of the day together, as well :)).

Yours in Christ,
        David

28 “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
        29 “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
        30 “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” ~Matthew 11
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

Well it is certainly a good example of where the Bible is still applied today and how its lessons reign true and span the test of time. That is a great story, and certainly one that highlights the importance of support. Nobody can go through life without help and we have to rely on others, and so it is our job to be there and support others when they need it as well. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiring message.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap