Discuss everything from courtship to dating and friends and co-workers to the in-laws. (This forum is for discussing ALL relationships, not just romantic ones.)

Converting Religions for Marriage

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Religions for Marriage

I have a friend whose husband to be is Catholic while she's a Baptist. While they aren't as polar opposites in religion, there is some strife over some of the technicalities. Mostly though the couple handle it well until the in-laws get together. There has been an argument about how the children will be raised and it has caused my friend so much stress that she'll call me crying. He husband to be is a little less religious than my friend but his parents are hardcore in their faith. I feel bad that she's going through a hard time. While I think it will ultimately work out because they believe in God and it's not a war of God against Buddha or nothing. Has anyone else had this problem and have any advice I could pass onto my friend, please? They really do love each other it's just stressful planning the wedding.

The Bible says nothing about marriage between a Baptist and a Catholic. It does prohibit a Christian from marrying a nonChristian. There are Baptists and Catholics who are born again Christians; there are some who are members of their church without being born again.

The best way you can help your friend is to find out for sure what her relationship with God is and also that of her future husband. If they are both Christians they can work out the differences between being Baptist and being Catholic by comparing the teachings of their churches with the Bible and following those that agree with the Bible. If neither is a Christian then the most important thing for you to do is share the gospel with both of them and urge them to put their faith in Christ. If one is a believer and the other isn't the one who is must not marry the other unless he also becomes a believer.

Whether your friend and her future husband are born again is more important than the fact that one is a Baptist and the other is a Catholic.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

To avoid such complications just marry someone from your denomination. I know a family that had their kids go to two churches each weekend because one parent was a Catholic while the other was Lutheran. The kids friends were Adventists so they went to church on Saturday too. Not bad IMHO as the kids can learn to read between the lines and be able to spot the lies and precepts of men which are an encumbrance to numerous Christians. I think that as long as the kids go to any church or alternate between them it's OK.
      Comment>

I think it's an issue for both, on who would switch to the other person's religion, or if they can coexist with their different beliefs for a successful marriage. I don't think the job is to either husband or wife, I think it depends on them, because at the end of the day, if one person switches religion without being 100% willing, it will eventually backfire and may even lead to arguments, or at the end of the line, a divorce. I think religion and relationships are a very important connection, and if it is not in-sync, problems will always happen, no matter how devoted each of them are.
        Comment>

Well this is certainly an issue that has been discussed a lot in recent times, and I would say that I have heard both sides of the argument and I cannot really say that I have a determinate voice on the matter. I think that if it makes the two people happy then by all means it is fine, but then again you have to question the faith and whether or not that means that they are changing their views or if it is something more symbolic to them. In either case, though, it is just a personal matter of their own faith and I just hope that it is making them happy and they have a blessed marriage.
          Comment>

My parents had this issue when they were first married. My dad was a Methodist and mom was Lutheran. They settled it easily when my dad simply decided that they would attend my mom's church and raise us kids in that church as well. Later, when I was a bit older, we moved to the Baptist church and so, I was raised as a Lutheran in the Baptist church. It didn't hurt me one iota, and I grew up with the music and teachings of both churches surrounding me. When I married my husband, we wed in his church, which was Presbyterian. After we were married, we attended a Baptist church, so I think it really helps when the couple are determined to stay together and do things together. Giving up stubborn attitudes helps a lot as it enables you to compromise and work as a team.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Novelangel View Post
              My parents had this issue when they were first married. My dad was a Methodist and mom was Lutheran. They settled it easily when my dad simply decided that they would attend my mom's church and raise us kids in that church as well. Later, when I was a bit older, we moved to the Baptist church and so, I was raised as a Lutheran in the Baptist church. It didn't hurt me one iota, and I grew up with the music and teachings of both churches surrounding me. When I married my husband, we wed in his church, which was Presbyterian. After we were married, we attended a Baptist church, so I think it really helps when the couple are determined to stay together and do things together. Giving up stubborn attitudes helps a lot as it enables you to compromise and work as a team.
              Methodists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians are much closer to Baptists in their beliefs than Catholics are.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post

Methodists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians are much closer to Baptists in their beliefs than Catholics are.
                This is true, however, when I was growing up it was considered 'wrong' somehow to even have Baptist friends if you were Lutheran. We were attending a Baptist church and our Lutheran church was up in arms over that because we were associating with heathens or something. Ironically, that same Lutheran church had a time in the early 70's when they started to split apart, with half the congregation speaking in tongues and the other half in horror of it. My mom and dad quit attending because of the pressure from the tongues movement... which is why we attended a Baptist church in the first place. Then the tongues people left the Lutheran church and migrated to a nearby Assembly of God church. We never really did go back but stayed with our Baptist friendships, which we considered a vast improvement over the previous situation.
                Comment>

The denomination doesn't really matter. God is present in the same way inside Baptist's church and the lutheran church. It's good for you that you found the right place!

According to the main subject:
                  Marriage can never become obstacle in expressing our faith to God. If creating a marriage demands leaving your church- it could be not worth it. Otherwise it only creates problems with teaching kids about the Christ in the future
                  Last edited by wisnia2168; 06-17-2016, 04:03 AM.
                  Comment>

I think it is not a good idea to change your religion for the sake of marriage as it is recommended to marry a christian person. If you change your religion just for the sake of marriage then its mean that you prefer the marriage on your religion. It is better to marriage the christian man or women. If someone adopts Christianity because of you then you will be blessed with a lot of blessings. You can convert someone with love and care. You would have to tell him about the concepts of Christianity and would have to provide the religious knowledge. This is just my opinion. What would would you like to say about it?
                    Comment>

Since they are both Christians, just different denominations, this isn't insurmountable. It is not as if one of them has to convert to Christianity.

I'm in a similar position to your friend, my husband being (lapsed) Catholic and I'm CofE. We're settled early on that our faiths had more in common than they had differences, and that as long as we were both worshipping the same God, we could accept that we may disagree on the details of how to worship him. We also agreed that children would be brought up aware that we were of different groups, familiar with both churchs, and that they would be able to choose which called them as they grew older. It helps that many of the practices between Anglican and Catholic are compatible, and acknowledged by the other church. Compromise is really important in this situation.

We also had an agreement that if either set of parents tried to put pressure on, whoever was their child would deal with it and that our marriage came before parents and extended family, ('leave and cleave').
                      Comment>

This is one of the many complications withing Christianity, too much sub-beliefs. In this instance the argument that someone should just marry in a situation that their sub-beliefs are totally similar but that might just hinder two people who would have been very good together from being married. To sort out the situation I would suggest that each attend the church of their choice and when they are at home they worship together. They are both worshiping the same God and the only difference is just a matter of variations in customs. The children should be exposed to each custom alternately and be given the option to choose which or both which is their right so to do.
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap