Share the joys and trials of raising your children.

Teaching them very young ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching them very young ....

So, my two wee ones are still very little. My daughter will be three come August and my son will be one come July. The little one is, naturally, too young to understand the most simple of instruction. However, the big one is now getting to the teachable age. I wish for them to know the Lord so much. My heart burns to do so in a correct manner. We pray together and she goes through the motions (closes eyes, bows heads, etc.), we read her Bible stories, etc. However, I am curious from other parents how you trained up your little people when they were very young. Yes, I know that they can only understand so much, but I wish to lay a good foundation. Thank you for reading and for any suggestions.

P.S. I can't help but share a cute story from this week. My daughter was on my lap and I did a Google image search on the Christ. Whilst looking at one she pointed and the screen and said "The King!" My wife explained to me she had been seeing a cartoon from Veggie Tales and on this children's recording there is a king with a crown, so she probably thought the halo matched the crown. Regardless, it was touching. :)

Start young. We brought our girls to church at 3 weeks old. They were not allowed to skip or I'm tired. Now they both are grown and are in church and taking their children to church. Seeing grandparents at church
    helps too. Mainly see parents,grandparents, aunts living Christian lives is what helps the most.
    Comment>

I think the best thing to do is to be consistent with it. If the child sees you living a certain way, that is the way he or she will follow. Children grow up watching their parents very closely and often raise their own children accordingly. Reading Bible stories to your child is awesome. My mom did that with me when I was too little to read things for myself. There is usually a rebellious period later on, and most children don't really "feel" that closeness with Christ when they're little but they always remember that teaching time. Kids grow up never forgetting how mom and dad raised them. Some may reject the Christian way of life for a while but eventually they remember how wonderful it is to be a part of a family that walks with the Lord.
      Comment>

My wife and I have found that the more kids you have the easier it is to expose the younger ones to what we want them to learn. For example, my wife was going through memorization of the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18) with the older kids and just by being in the room our 3 year old just picked it up and was able to recite it almost completely. She also taught the older kids the Nicene Creed song and the 3 year old was able to sing it on his own as well.
        Comment>

Praying together and studying the bibe together as family is a good start. It's when kids are very young that they should learn that people should pray at least once a day. From experience I know that since kids love stories, reading them bible stories will most likely pique their interest in the Word of God. They'll want to learn more, read more, hear more . . .
          Comment>

I don't think it's very fair to introduce religion to a small kid. I think you should teach about God and prayer, but not about a specific church that you follow, because the child should have the right to choose later on what church suits him the most. I think forcing a child to believe in the same things you do from a really young age might lead to atheism later on, because it's not good to feel powerless when it comes to your beliefs. If my mother wasn't open about religion to me, I think I might have rebelled.
            Comment>

Originally posted by cecejailer View Post
              I don't think it's very fair to introduce religion to a small kid. I think you should teach about God and prayer, but not about a specific church that you follow, because the child should have the right to choose later on what church suits him the most. I think forcing a child to believe in the same things you do from a really young age might lead to atheism later on, because it's not good to feel powerless when it comes to your beliefs. If my mother wasn't open about religion to me, I think I might have rebelled.
              This really depends on the approach. I agree that if a parent is overbearing about religion to their children it may, and can, drive them away. But there is nothing wrong with involving children in Sunday School and other church functions. Also, sharing different things about the bible really depends on their level of comprehension. That is why we would not dive into our Confession of Faith with a 4 year old, but we do have a children's catechism that we help them memorize, which helps them understand what it is that we believe.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post

This really depends on the approach. I agree that if a parent is overbearing about religion to their children it may, and can, drive them away. But there is nothing wrong with involving children in Sunday School and other church functions. Also, sharing different things about the bible really depends on their level of comprehension. That is why we would not dive into our Confession of Faith with a 4 year old, but we do have a children's catechism that we help them memorize, which helps them understand what it is that we believe.
                Yes, you're completely right. I think we need to teach children about faith since very young, through non-agressive or forceful ways. Some parents will freak out if their children's faith is any different from theirs, so I think parents should be open to discussion. A child won't accept everything the church has to offer since the beginning, and it might question some of the things it teaches (which is not wrong, that's how they grow), so I think parents should never use "because God said so" as a reason not to encourage their children to think and find their own faith. Thank you for your reply, I completely agree.

Comment>

Originally posted by cecejailer View Post

Yes, you're completely right. I think we need to teach children about faith since very young, through non-agressive or forceful ways. Some parents will freak out if their children's faith is any different from theirs, so I think parents should be open to discussion. A child won't accept everything the church has to offer since the beginning, and it might question some of the things it teaches (which is not wrong, that's how they grow), so I think parents should never use "because God said so" as a reason not to encourage their children to think and find their own faith. Thank you for your reply, I completely agree.
                  You do have to be careful on this front, however, since you do not want your children being attracted to unbiblical doctrines. This is extremely important once they leave for college/university as there are plenty of liberal minded professors who will try to poison their minds away from God. It is really our duty as parents to prepare them as best we can before they get to that point.

It is also the duty of the church to support the parents in this endeavor. This may seem forced brainwashing, but would you rather your children be brainwashed by some liberal philosophy professor, or be rooted in the Truth?
                  Comment>

Starting your children young is not an issue. I was raised by my grandmother and was introduced the God as a very young age. I cannot remember a time in my life where God was not involved. I was taken to church every Sunday since I was born. It just came naturally to my grandmother, involving me in every aspect of the church. I grew to love church and looked forward to it every weekend. If your child is learning at a young age and is given the opportunity to know Christ, then there is nothing bad to come of it. Your child is being led in the right direction. :)
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap