Discuss how to be the helpmate that God intended for your spouse.

How to Maintain a Happy Marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Maintain a Happy Marriage

Marriage is very important to everyone, and everyone hopes to have a perfect marriage. But now, some people feel it is hard to maintain a happy marriage, because of their financial problem, pressure of life, many tempatations, and comparisons. What can we do to build a perfect marriage?

HI Happy Life - welcome to the Forum! Although I'm not an "expert", I'd say that a mutual and reverent faith in God is the number one thing. Having your Christian faith shared with your spouse in all avenues of your marriage, life, and family is key. Next are communication and trust. Your spouse is your life partner, and the two of you will be able to withstand the trials and tribulations of life here on earth when you are God-centered first, then each-other-centered.
    Comment>

Men are simple. A man is happy he has food, consortium, and no drama. Most women seem impossible to make happy, especially when feminist attitudes are at play. Women file for two thirds of divorces, and probably are responsible for more like 90% of failed marriages. So, how does one maintain a happy marriage.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
        Most women seem impossible to make happy, especially when feminist attitudes are at play.
        Had a secular marriage counselor once tell me that marriage is a dance. At times the male leads and at other times the female leads. If either decides not to follow the dance is over. Think about it, what type of dance has the female leading? There is only poor leadership on behalf of the male, and I believe this is one major cause of failure.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Originally posted by Trysch View Post
          HI Happy Life - welcome to the Forum! Although I'm not an "expert", I'd say that a mutual and reverent faith in God is the number one thing. Having your Christian faith shared with your spouse in all avenues of your marriage, life, and family is key. Next are communication and trust. Your spouse is your life partner, and the two of you will be able to withstand the trials and tribulations of life here on earth when you are God-centered first, then each-other-centered.
          Hi Trysch, I agree with you, My opintion is that :having christian faith and encourage each other by the God´word, Next are communication and trust, tolerance. Meanwhile. Through your reply, I think that you are a good and minded wife. also we may have some in common . Wish we can share more experience with each other in the forum.

God bless
          Happy life

Comment>

Originally posted by happy life View Post
            tolerance.
            "Tolerance" - yes indeed!

And humility.

I look forward to more connection with you, Happy Life!
            Comment>

Women file for two thirds of divorces, and probably are responsible for more like 90% of failed marriages.
              You've touched a nerve, Cornelius! Your whole comment seems so .... mean. No doubt each individual person will have their own defense or agreement with your statement that is quoted, Most likely, my "humor" at this point is not coming thru the keyboard.

A man is happy he has food, consortium, and no drama.
              LOL - yep, I think the figure that 2/3 of divorces are filed by women is because women do have a lot more expectation and layers of satisfaction and dissatisfaction.

There was also a time that infidelity was more often the man's doing, but alas, the sexual revolution changed that. Women have lowered themselves to the immoral standard of unfaithful men. Progress??? I think not.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Trysch View Post

You've touched a nerve, Cornelius! Your whole comment seems so .... mean. .
                With women filing twice as often as men for divorce, it looks like it's mostly up to women to reduce the divorce rate.

Comment>

it looks like it's mostly up to women to reduce the divorce rate.
                  Would you please attach a photo, Cornelius? I want to see if your avatar would lead me to see your comments as humorous or chauvinistic. LOL
                  Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
                    Think about it, what type of dance has the female leading? There is only poor leadership on behalf of the male, and I believe this is one major cause of failure.
                    Agreed with this. The husband and father is the head of the household. But not in some kind of dictatorial sense, but rather a loving, patient, self-sacrificing, steward.

As to the original question, I firmly believe that a marriage must be rooted in unshakable faith in our Lord and the instruction he gave us, mutual respect, and everything done in a spirit of love. There will be conflict and disagreement, of course, and plenty of stressful days. However, if everyone is working together towards seeking first the kingdom and preserving harmony in the family, it can be done. Not only can, but will. After all, God created marriage. :)
                    Comment>

I am afraid that the prerequisite of a real marriage (for life) is knowledge; the knowledge of the main natural differences between a typical male and female, socially speaking.
                      Since English is my third language I am not sure I can explore well, with you here, these obvious differences (obvious when heard by a typical male or female ;) ).

Kerim
                      Comment>

Many people get married because they think they are in love and they have this unrealistic expectations about how perfect their spouses are going to be. No one is perfect. That's one fact married couples must accept. If they can then they'll be able to overlook each others faults and maybe they'll be relatively happy.
                        Comment>

We must be prayerful so that we can live happily in our marriages. We must also learn to listen to our spouses. Many marriages have broken because couples don't listen to each other. We should not let our financial status affect our relationships. We are also advised to seek help from counsellors so that we can avoid quarrels and fighting.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
                            Had a secular marriage counselor once tell me that marriage is a dance. At times the male leads and at other times the female leads. If either decides not to follow the dance is over. Think about it, what type of dance has the female leading?
                            The Madrid style has the female leading. It is still a poor analogy because there is no single dance where the lead changes between dancers repeatedly.

One reason I have seen from women who have asked for divorces is the poor leadership you mention. The man sees all the power of his position but is not prepared to accept the responsiblity or self-sacrifice that comes with it, leaving the wife trying to do all the roles. With children in the mix, this only heightens the problem as that is when both parents need to step up. Divorce simply deprives the children of a father at all, so it is no solution.

Counselling before marriage and even during marriage from a pastor to remind both partners of their responsibilities might help keep a marriage on the level, and from falling apart.
                            Comment>

Marriage (and relationships in general) is a give-and-take, and honesty and communication is key, as well as sometimes mutually beneficial compromise. One or both parties being unwilling to make compromises is not conducive to a successful and healthy relationship.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap