Discuss how to be the helpmate that God intended for your spouse.

Is trying to look attractive for your spouse considered vanity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is trying to look attractive for your spouse considered vanity?

Vanity is considered to be a sin. I want to know if trying to look pretty is considered vanity? I mean many women give their best to stay beautiful by dieting and excising so they will look attractive to their spouses. There are also men who who does the same by going to the gym and taking protein powder. I know inner beauty is considered to be better but trying to look good makes us feel good and confident. Also trying to look attractive sometimes enhances marriages.

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
    Vanity is considered to be a sin. I want to know if trying to look pretty is considered vanity? I mean many women give their best to stay beautiful by dieting and excising so they will look attractive to their spouses. There are also men who who does the same by going to the gym and taking protein powder. I know inner beauty is considered to be better but trying to look good makes us feel good and confident. Also trying to look attractive sometimes enhances marriages.
    What you listed is not vanity.

As far as apparel, what is most important is that a man or woman doesn't let his/her outer beauty compete with inner beauty.
    • 1 Peter 3:3–5 3 Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— 4 but let your adorning be pthe hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. 5 For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands,

While there's nothing wrong with taking care of our appearances, spending too much time or money on it shows there is a priority problem.
    • 1 Timothy 2:9–10 9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.

Today it is fashionable to cover ourselves with tattoos. Both men and women do so. It is like too much makeup but irremovable. Tattoos, piercings, expensive jewelry, and clothing are the result of a problem and not the problem itself.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

That's a very different view than I have. But I guess there is no right or wrong when it comes to interpreting some of these things. From what I have experienced, I love to look good. I feel good inside when I look good outside, and I also love how people respond to me when I am well dressed and made up. Say what you will, but as a woman, if you've been out of your house dressed in old clothes and with no make up on, and you had a problem and needed help from a stranger, you know the chances of them stopping to help you are slim compared to if you were well dressed. You all know this to be true.
      Comment>

We're talking about wanting to look attractive for your spouse - - by all means, yes. Why Not? When you're out in the public -- shopping or whatever -- chances are you're going to be cleaned-up -- not looking like a slob. I don't wear make-up except for a bit of mellow lipstick. And lots of times, not even that. As for the make-up, I have two daughters and I tried to assure them that they look just fine Without make-up. Good nutricious food and soap and water works pretty well. Avoid greasy foods.

And trying to be in good physical health Does help a marriage. Over the years and having kids Does things to us -- we get sloppy -- so every so often is doesn't hurt to take inventory.

Nothing wrong with wanting to look attractive.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap